- Econ development collectivisation kulaks

Predictions for 2019:
- Provisional government weakness/failures
- Seizure of power 1917
- Collectivisation/industrialisation
- International relations 1929-1945
- Dictatorship and purges in the 1930s
- Great Patriotic War 1941

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2017/june/AQA-70422N-WRE-JUN17.PDF- https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2018/june/AQA-70422N-WRE-JUN18.PDF
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by wastedcuriosity
Any predictions??

My teacher suggested there will probably be a question based on the end of the syllabus i.e. The Great Patriotic War onwards and/or international relations. Also something to do with effects of the February Revolution.

It would be of amazing help if you guys had a really basic essay plan for International Relations!

Haven't seen many people talk about this section of the paper, didn't think it was so unusual a unit? Anyways, how are people feeling?
Original post by greenteascratchy
My teacher suggested there will probably be a question based on the end of the syllabus i.e. The Great Patriotic War onwards and/or international relations. Also something to do with effects of the February Revolution.

It would be of amazing help if you guys had a really basic essay plan for International Relations!

Haven't seen many people talk about this section of the paper, didn't think it was so unusual a unit? Anyways, how are people feeling?

I feel quite confident with all the content up to collectivisation and aome of stalin's terror but the war onwards is creating uncertainty for me. Does anyone have any tips on section 6 and any ideal essay plans which can really help? I'll attach the section 6 sorts of questions. Thx.20190604_131346-compressed.jpg.jpeg
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Pkstvdy980
I feel quite confident with all the content up to collectivisation and aome of stalin's terror but the war onwards is creating uncertainty for me. Does anyone have any tips on section 6 and any ideal essay plans which can really help? I'll attach the section 6 sorts of questions. Thx.20190604_131346-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Mmhm, I'm a bit more nervous about the end of the syllabus because our teacher kinda rushed it at the end and we haven't discussed it in as much detail as things like the October Rev. or Five Year Plans etc.

I don't have any essay plans that have been checked over by my teacher (I have tried looking online but little success) but I can tell you what I would do for them in ultra basic paragraphs, (they obviously may not be correct because I'm not a teacher but)

1) (Soviet Bloc due to paranoia) Overall I would agree (as the name 'buffer states' suggests, it was predominantly security) because

a) Stalin's past obsession with paranoia, his suspicion of the West,
b) BUT, concerned less with international security and more on spreading communism would suggest that he wasn't just scared, plus some of the bloc countries created communist governments without his intervention
c) however, yes I agree that he was 'paranoid' but it was justified paranoia (challenge the question) e.g. the number of times Russia has been invaded in the past, Marshall Aid etc. from the states which he was afraid of

That was probably awful and tbf it has turned up once before- I'm sure if you typed the question into google the markscheme with content would pop up.

2) By 1953 the USSR had become a world power: This depends on how you define a 'world power', as in terms of military and political influences it was, e.g. nuclear bomb, being involved with France, Britain, the 'Big Three' and United Nations. However, in terms of economy/social aspects you could argue it wasn't, or the road to reach its power had a tremendous cost that suggests the USSR was vulnerable. However, perhaps the only things that make a world power are military/industrial/diplomatic and the quality of life of the population wasn't important. Also, attack the phrase 'world power' because it doesn't quite mean super power. USSR was a world power but now superpower or something like that

3) The signing of the Nazi-Soviet Pact in 1939 reflected the total failure of Stalin's foreign policy attack the use of the word 'total'
a) it was a failure because Stalin was naive, failed to accept that Germany would turn her back on Russia in Operation Barbarossa, Stalin should have seen the signs (e.g. Mein Kampf being written 1925)
b) yes because Stalin fell out with Britain and France after the 'Collective Security' alliance, and therefore he was forced into signing because he had no other allies shows weakness in international negotiation that he has to join with his enemy political ideology
c) but, the word 'total' is too extreme, Nazis and Soviets actually were on good terms from the peace treaty signed (Treaty of Rapallo) and even during Lenin's time they were on alright terms, plus, it was a mutual treaty so Stalin got the borders pre-Treaty of Brest Litovsk, he received lots of german goods and it did work for a while... however, the fact that they betrayed him still indicates that his policy was not perfect, it represented his weak international relations but it wasn't completely out of the blue, it did make sense at the time

4) To what extent does Stalin deserve the title 'The Great War Hero' is quite nice and straight forward I think, I just think you have to make the point that what the people at the time perceived him as (being a hero) isn't necessarily true, you have to have some skepticism

a) yes, he did many things well done, even made speeches which were rare, managed to stir up Russian patriotism, stayed in Moscow despite it being in danger etc. and he surprised everyone (even himself) about Russia's success
b) but, it wasn't an easy ride, the 'hero' part is probably propaganda as his misguided view on the Nazi invasion (not believing they had invaded etc) implies that he wasn't great, he actually made things worse occassionally e.g. the refusal to retreat at Kharkov which cost 85,000 lives in 1943 plus his oerly harsh treatment of the military, however, unlike Hitler he learned from his mistakes which was extremely important, and he made concessions such as re-opening churches and creating organisations such as GKO
c) on balance, whilst he did well, other factors also played a part which meant yes he was successful but 'hero' is stretching it, e.g. Russian geography, weather, Yugoslavia being harder to beat than expected by Hitler etc.

Afraid I've ran out of juice because I need to go take a shower, but I hope this somehow helps? If you also had any essay plans for any of the questions I would appreciate if you could share too, or improve my ones! Cheers
I would be surprised if they asked about purges for a second year as they already asked about state terror in the 1930s but I agree that there will most likely be an early topic and a great patriotic war question
Topics from AQA papers already
Sample set 1:
- Ex. Bolshevik revolution
- Agricultural and social developments in the countryside 1929-1941
- Power struggle
- Transformation of the Soviet International position

Sample set 2:
- Ex. Econ developments 1924-1929 1st 5 year plan
- Power struggle
- High Stalinism 1945-1953

2017:- Ex. Econ and social development Kronstadt rising
- Econ developments 1924-1929 1st 5 year plan
- Social revolution under Stalin
- Transformation of the Soviet International position

2018:- Ex. Dictatorship and Stalinism 1929-1943
- Trotsky role in 1917 seizure of power
- Civil war unity and organisation
- Econ development collectivisation kulaks

Predictions for 2019:
- Provisional government weakness/failures
- Seizure of power 1917
- Collectivisation/industrialisation
- International relations 1929-1945
- Dictatorship and purges in the 1930s
- Great Patriotic War 1941

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2017/june/AQA-70422N-WRE-JUN17.PDF- https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2018/june/AQA-70422N-WRE-JUN18.PDF
Original post by greenteascratchy
Mmhm, I'm a bit more nervous about the end of the syllabus because our teacher kinda rushed it at the end and we haven't discussed it in as much detail as things like the October Rev. or Five Year Plans etc.

I don't have any essay plans that have been checked over by my teacher (I have tried looking online but little success) but I can tell you what I would do for them in ultra basic paragraphs, (they obviously may not be correct because I'm not a teacher but)

1) (Soviet Bloc due to paranoia) Overall I would agree (as the name 'buffer states' suggests, it was predominantly security) because

a) Stalin's past obsession with paranoia, his suspicion of the West,
b) BUT, concerned less with international security and more on spreading communism would suggest that he wasn't just scared, plus some of the bloc countries created communist governments without his intervention
c) however, yes I agree that he was 'paranoid' but it was justified paranoia (challenge the question) e.g. the number of times Russia has been invaded in the past, Marshall Aid etc. from the states which he was afraid of

That was probably awful and tbf it has turned up once before- I'm sure if you typed the question into google the markscheme with content would pop up.

2) By 1953 the USSR had become a world power: This depends on how you define a 'world power', as in terms of military and political influences it was, e.g. nuclear bomb, being involved with France, Britain, the 'Big Three' and United Nations. However, in terms of economy/social aspects you could argue it wasn't, or the road to reach its power had a tremendous cost that suggests the USSR was vulnerable. However, perhaps the only things that make a world power are military/industrial/diplomatic and the quality of life of the population wasn't important. Also, attack the phrase 'world power' because it doesn't quite mean super power. USSR was a world power but now superpower or something like that

3) The signing of the Nazi-Soviet Pact in 1939 reflected the total failure of Stalin's foreign policy attack the use of the word 'total'
a) it was a failure because Stalin was naive, failed to accept that Germany would turn her back on Russia in Operation Barbarossa, Stalin should have seen the signs (e.g. Mein Kampf being written 1925)
b) yes because Stalin fell out with Britain and France after the 'Collective Security' alliance, and therefore he was forced into signing because he had no other allies shows weakness in international negotiation that he has to join with his enemy political ideology
c) but, the word 'total' is too extreme, Nazis and Soviets actually were on good terms from the peace treaty signed (Treaty of Rapallo) and even during Lenin's time they were on alright terms, plus, it was a mutual treaty so Stalin got the borders pre-Treaty of Brest Litovsk, he received lots of german goods and it did work for a while... however, the fact that they betrayed him still indicates that his policy was not perfect, it represented his weak international relations but it wasn't completely out of the blue, it did make sense at the time

4) To what extent does Stalin deserve the title 'The Great War Hero' is quite nice and straight forward I think, I just think you have to make the point that what the people at the time perceived him as (being a hero) isn't necessarily true, you have to have some skepticism

a) yes, he did many things well done, even made speeches which were rare, managed to stir up Russian patriotism, stayed in Moscow despite it being in danger etc. and he surprised everyone (even himself) about Russia's success
b) but, it wasn't an easy ride, the 'hero' part is probably propaganda as his misguided view on the Nazi invasion (not believing they had invaded etc) implies that he wasn't great, he actually made things worse occassionally e.g. the refusal to retreat at Kharkov which cost 85,000 lives in 1943 plus his oerly harsh treatment of the military, however, unlike Hitler he learned from his mistakes which was extremely important, and he made concessions such as re-opening churches and creating organisations such as GKO
c) on balance, whilst he did well, other factors also played a part which meant yes he was successful but 'hero' is stretching it, e.g. Russian geography, weather, Yugoslavia being harder to beat than expected by Hitler etc.

Afraid I've ran out of juice because I need to go take a shower, but I hope this somehow helps? If you also had any essay plans for any of the questions I would appreciate if you could share too, or improve my ones! Cheers

Thanks that was quite helpful. I do have some essay plans but not on section 6 unfortunately as that section was rushed. Primarily around economic condition, power struggle and the first few parts. Idk if they will be useful but lmk if you wish so.
Thanks that was quite helpful. I do have some essay plans but not on section 6 unfortunately as that section was rushed. Primarily around economic condition, power struggle and the first few parts. Idk if they will be useful but lmk if you wish so.

Any essay plans would be absolutely amazing! ((if that's okay by you.)) Trying to sort out the majority of my essay plans now.
Reply 9
For the dictatorship and purges in the 1930s, what would you cover? Cult of Personality, NKVD, the Purges, Kirov's Murder, Show Trials, Stalin Constitution, Yezhovschina I'm guessing?
hi would you be able to send me the essay plan as well please thanks
Heres a essay plan on economic conditions by 1941
Attachment not found
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey would you be able to send them to me aswell!
For ‘The signing of the Nazi-Soviet Pact in 1939 reflected the total failure of Stalin's foreign policy’ question would you answer solely focussing on the nazi-soviet pact or analyse Stalin’s whole foreign policy as well as the nazi soviet pact?
Original post by norwich27
For ‘The signing of the Nazi-Soviet Pact in 1939 reflected the total failure of Stalin's foreign policy’ question would you answer solely focussing on the nazi-soviet pact or analyse Stalin’s whole foreign policy as well as the nazi soviet pact?

I'd analyse most of his foreign policy with other countries and the isolation that Russia had
Original post by Abbyyy12
Hey would you be able to send them to me aswell!

I wont be able to send them but I'll drop a few more below over the next couple hours
Thank you soo much!
I wont be able to send them but I'll drop a few more below over the next couple hours
Original post by norwich27

Hmm that's what I'm wondering about. I think the main focus would obviously be the nazi soviet pact and relations with germany/ how they 'betrayed' russia seeing as this is a depth paper. But what I would do is include the failure of alliance with Britain and France which forced Stalin to sign the pact in order to have an alliance at all. As long as you can link other bits of foreign policy to the nazi soviet pact (because you don't want to drift away from the essay title) you should be okay, and whatever you do, outline it in your introduction so it's clear to the examiner what you intend to do.
20190604_182224-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Bit nervous about the paper, but I was more worried about Tudors. I reckon foreign policy under Stalin will come up. My friend is predicting; art and culture in the 1930s, late international relations, Lenin as a 'Red Tsar' and the Provisional Government.

Latest

Trending

Trending