The Student Room Group

Higher English 2019-2020

For Higher English!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I didn’t know how similar this was to the Nat 5 course. It’s basically all the same but RUAE is longer.

For Set Text, my class are doing the play “Slab Boys”, and for the Critical Essay, the novel “Trumpet” by Jackie Kay. We are also going to be studying a film which gives us a choice for the essay.
Reply 2
Nice, we’re doing the Norman MacCaig poems for Set Text and Death of A Salesman by Arthur Miller for critical essay. Right now we’re focussing on folio work
Hello, I have a problem: my teacher wants us to think of an idea for our discursive and I had an idea of doing a topic about brexit but the problem is that it’s a quite hard topic to discuss and if the marker is the supporter of brexit then the marker would get really triggered talking about being a non-supporter and blah blah blah. So I thought that I would do about how technology have an impact on us or how it contributes to today’s world plus its cons and pros, and do you guys think it’s a good topic to do or is it just another boring topic that will not score anything?...
I’m in the same boat! Would like to do something political but unsure if it’s too broad a topic and maybe the marker will disagree. Personally I wouldn’t recommend the technology topic simply because a class in my school did that last year and I think it is probably quite popular and a wee bit overdone. My teacher said to choose something relevant but not something that will be too overdone e.g animal testing. I’m not sure what I’m going to do though lol :smile:
Original post by Kubsyy
Hello, I have a problem: my teacher wants us to think of an idea for our discursive and I had an idea of doing a topic about brexit but the problem is that it’s a quite hard topic to discuss and if the marker is the supporter of brexit then the marker would get really triggered talking about being a non-supporter and blah blah blah. So I thought that I would do about how technology have an impact on us or how it contributes to today’s world plus its cons and pros, and do you guys think it’s a good topic to do or is it just another boring topic that will not score anything?...
Reply 5
I’m doing Carol Ann Duffy poems for Set Text, and then for critical essay Hamlet and as a back up Marrakech by George Orwell
Are Philip Larkin poems on the syllabus.
Norman Mccaig poems for set text. But idk what for essay...
Reply 8
Need ideas for a solo talk, wanted to talk about my experience with bereavement but couldn't think of enough information to make it a good quality talk. help!!
We have Norman Mccaig poems but have to do our portfolios just now as class will possibly change once exam results are known
We are doing Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and that's all we've decided so far 😂
Any of you guys started your discursive essays? Or is it just me? The topic I've chosen this year is:

"The impact of screens on our youth"
Original post by Strelzo
Any of you guys started your discursive essays? Or is it just me? The topic I've chosen this year is:

Not started it as such but we have been told to think of topics
Original post by beth1709
Not started it as such but we have been told to think of topics

Maybe you'll be starting it after the summer holidays?
Original post by Strelzo

I’ve started about Venezuela.
I’m doing mine on why Vaccine Hesitancy is bad and a load of rubbish
Original post by Strelzo

Original post by Kubsyy
I’ve started about Venezuela.

What about it specifically?
Original post by Catriona23
I’m doing mine on why Vaccine Hesitancy is bad and a load of rubbish

Totally agree with you on that one.
Original post by Strelzo
Totally agree with you on that one.

It’s basically about its economic problems and government. How could UN resolve problems in Venezuela.
Original post by Strelzo
Maybe you'll be starting it after the summer holidays?

Yeah, my teachers said we would just wait until after summer since people are leaving for holidays etc
Reply 19
If anyone wants any advice/help on Streecar Named Desire/ CAD poems, feel free to PM me : )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending