The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes yes and yes. Why should we have child killers and under 18 rapists languishing in our prisons costing us taxpayers more money? I personally think that the death penalty should only be for those type of criminals since they are absolute monsters.
Where's the "I'm not sure" option?
I think we should bring back the death penalty but only if the criminals are serving life and they want to be lethal injected. If they don't want to then no
Original post by sels22
For pedos, terrorists & murderers.

Eye for an eye works better. The problem with threatening someone with a death sentence upon committing something like rape or peadophilia... is that they may just feel inclined to kill the witness instead of letting them live with a higher risk of getting caught for it. They'd be awarded a death sentence already in both scenarios, so there'd be little for them to lose.

In other words, you may decrease the number of rapes for example... but will increase the number of murders of remaining rape victims.

I'm only using 'rape' as an example.
(edited 6 years ago)
THE DEATH PENALTY Why would anybody object to a person who had been convicted of more than one violent/Serious crime facing the death penalty??????????????the culprit would know that if they where convicted of just one serious violent crime that even though there being punished i.e going to prison they would at least be alive and have a life to live inside and would know that they would be given a
Absolutely; paedophiles, rapists, murderers and terrorists, where it can be proven beyond reasonable doubt they're guilty, should be executed
Of course
The cost of a death penalty could easily be reduced, as to managing the cost of imprisonment. The world needs tor remove influence and evolve otherwise the delicate way we deal with crime will evolve and most likely become unmanagable. If we have morals, we should be obligated more on improving the conditions of the world we live in. The lack of ownership and responsibility on this planet is overwhelming. We have to break cycles to prevent them cycling. We need to work on ways of improving the system and making sure we have more money to invest on more important funding through making changes. I am completely for the death sentence as i believe we can invest more in saftey which is a basic human requirement. Open your mind to an alternative that works for the greater good.
Original post by atkjake
The cost of a death penalty could easily be reduced, as to managing the cost of imprisonment. The world needs tor remove influence and evolve otherwise the delicate way we deal with crime will evolve and most likely become unmanagable. If we have morals, we should be obligated more on improving the conditions of the world we live in. The lack of ownership and responsibility on this planet is overwhelming. We have to break cycles to prevent them cycling. We need to work on ways of improving the system and making sure we have more money to invest on more important funding through making changes. I am completely for the death sentence as i believe we can invest more in saftey which is a basic human requirement. Open your mind to an alternative that works for the greater good.

That was a lot of babbling without really making any points. Why does killing people increase the safety of others?
You do reasonable ‘beyond a reasonable doubt’ is the current standard of proof? It currently applies equally to the above crimes as well as minor offences. The tone of your post suggested to me you were advocating a higher standard of proof for your proposed capital crimes
The death penalty should only be brought back for the following most serious crimes
1)murder
2)murder of more than one person on one occasion or otherwise
3)rape of a baby or child under 5 years of age committed by an adult
4)Terrorism i.e terrorist act(including a bombing using explosives or a harmful weapon)resulting in injury and/or death
5)more than one serious crime committed by a person against another person on one occasion or otherwise.i.e any combination of the following i.e serious sexual offence,Armed robbery,kidnapping,abduction,rape,causing serious bodily injury,attempted murder.
Death Penalty for taking a life, or ruining one. 'A life for a life'. Rapists, murderers, abusers, why should we have to live in fear because of them. Get them out of the world, create a better one for our children, our next generation, we don't need people like that. If I was sick enough to commit to any of these crimes I would happily admit to my wrongdoings and admit that there is something mentally wrong in my head. Mental illness and brain damage are two different things, one can be fixed...and all that rubbish about 'we are no better' who cares, god won't care when your child's abducted or your brother gets stabbed. Wake up and smell the coffee. Idiots.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Six

^one case to illustrate that the death penalty really is absolute, and if the courts get it wrong, these innocent men would have incorrectly lost their lives.

Prison itself is a punishment; it's a horrible experience. The death penalty also doesn't allow for an individual to get rehabilitated. Something which can sometimes be possible.
I don't think it can be justified under any circumstances. Even in the absence of doubt about whether the person is guilty, or if the method is entirely painless (notwithstanding neither can be guaranteed), I still don't see it as a fitting punishment. Why should the state be legitimised in depriving individuals of the most basic right to life for the sake of retribution? It shouldn't.
only for axolotols
Understandably this is a controversial topic. I think Roy Krone, a former death row inmate in the US, makes an excellent case against the death penalty. ‘You can’t have a penalty that isn’t reversible that you can’t take back later and say “I’m sorry, we got it wrong” . . . It is given out by human beings, and human beings make mistakes’.

Also, if the UK was to bring back, what some might call "medieval" punishment, it would be important to consider the ramifications of this, and the dangerous precedent it would set. I like to think that the UK is a forward thinking country (however Brexit has made me question this), and I wouldn't want use to inherit the injustices that occur in the US. In America, you are several times more likely to receive the death penalty if the victim is white. The death penalty provides this path for discrimination. Generally people who support the death penalty are often misinformed and are uneducated on the subject, and it is important to enlighten these people. I am happy it is a discussion that most students in the UK will study in Religious Studies GCSEs - as it is an important discussion. The death penalty is ineffective as a deterrent from crime, it is used by state governors in the US to prove they are "tough" before elections, in order for their own political gain, and is a violation of human rights on all levels.

These opinions are my own and I will happily reply or discuss with those who disagree or agree.
I would enjoy seeing rapists, paedophiles, child abusers, murders and many others who commit crimes against humanity hung or shot. There is no greater justice for those that truely deserve it than death. Obviously there would have to be high levels of scrutiny but it would be a small price to pay.
Reply 137
Original post by AperfectBalance
I would enjoy seeing rapists, paedophiles, child abusers, murders and many others who commit crimes against humanity hung or shot. There is no greater justice for those that truely deserve it than death. Obviously there would have to be high levels of scrutiny but it would be a small price to pay.

Isnt that an overly easy way out though?
I mean take some of those child abusers who ruin the life of their victims till their dying day. Doesnt taking a bullet to the head seem a lot nicer than dumping them in something akin to the blackhole of Calcutta for life?
Original post by Napp
I mean take some of those child abusers who ruin the life of their victims till their dying day. Doesnt taking a bullet to the head seem a lot nicer than dumping them in something akin to the blackhole of Calcutta for life?

In the days up to being killed then they can be tortured, but if we kept them for life then we would have the cost of feeding them, compared to the cost of a bit of rope and a fire or a bullet and a fire.
Unfortunately our prisons are nothing akin to a blackhole and have adopted the stance more comparable to a rehabilitation centre as opposed to a prison, which is absolutely ridiculous. Anyway I don't fancy contributing to subsidise a rehab centre for criminals that aim to harm our society, much cheaper to just get rid of them. As Thatcher said 'there is no such thing as public money, there is only tax payers money', so I'd rather that money go into something more progressive such as education.
Original post by Napp

Latest

Trending

Trending