The Student Room Group

Hong Kong Protests

I feel this will backfire, the protest has turned into vandalism and the police have just let them flow into LegCo even when they likely had the capability to push them back. What will the aftermath of this be?

HK.JPG

Turning the public against the protesters due to their use of vandalism?
Crackdown of protest rights?
Mass arrests of those in LegCo soon?

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3015620/protesters-ram-legislature-hong-kong-marks-tense-handover
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-48821640
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I hope for this to escalate even further, the Chinese government must be destroyed or harmed as much as possible. I just fully regret that we ever let the Chinese get their hands on Hong Kong.
Original post by AperfectBalance
I hope for this to escalate even further, the Chinese government must be destroyed or harmed as much as possible. I just fully regret that we ever let the Chinese get their hands on Hong Kong.

Is there anyone you DON'T have a problem with...
Reply 3
Hong Kong is part of China.
Only Chinese government can deal with it
Original post by Glaz
Is there anyone you DON'T have a problem with...

Im sorry but do you like the Chinese government? It was our duty to protect the people of Hong Kong as they were part of our Empire, therefore we had the duty to protect them from the despicable Chinese government.
I believe at the very least the Sino-British Joint Declaration should be upheld but I do fear for the safety of these young people who haven't covered their faces entirely and may feel the Chinese Government's wrath in the future. As how this ends remains to be seen. The Chinese Government cannot be too brutal as the world's eyes are on them and they cannot repeat Tiananmen Square. I also hope the Chinese Government doesn't use this protest as an excuse to further erode the rights of the HK people. But I don't see them allowing the protesters to stay in LegCo indefinitely.
Original post by Themysticalegg
I believe at the very least the Sino-British Joint Declaration should be upheld but I do fear for the safety of these young people who haven't covered their faces entirely and may feel the Chinese Government's wrath in the future. As how this ends remains to be seen. The Chinese Government cannot be too brutal as the world's eyes are on them and they cannot repeat Tiananmen Square. I also hope the Chinese Government doesn't use this protest as an excuse to further erode the rights of the HK people. But I don't see them allowing the protesters to stay in LegCo indefinitely.

Considering the Chinese government has a forced organ harvesting programme and has used violence on a mass scale to destroy anything they dislike I see no reason why they will not do the same again, unlike many smaller countries they care little if the UN issues a disagreement or for much of bad press in the rest of the world.

Just look at the destruction of the Muslims in China or the falun gong movement that is brutally supressed. China will send tanks in if they think that it is the best option, but I have a sneaking suspicion they want the riots to get very out of control so they can say "well HK clearly needs our help and cannot run itself" so they now have a good excuse to fully take over Hong Kong.
Indeed and I pray they don't use the methods they used on the Uyghurs on the Hong Kong people. However the protestors have taken the bait in which the Chinese Government can now take over seeing this as a good enough excuse that they need help as you said.
Considering the Chinese government has a forced organ harvesting programme and has used violence on a mass scale to destroy anything they dislike I see no reason why they will not do the same again, unlike many smaller countries they care little if the UN issues a disagreement or for much of bad press in the rest of the world.

Just look at the destruction of the Muslims in China or the falun gong movement that is brutally supressed. China will send tanks in if they think that it is the best option, but I have a sneaking suspicion they want the riots to get very out of control so they can say "well HK clearly needs our help and cannot run itself" so they now have a good excuse to fully take over Hong Kong.
Hong Kong Police basically saying they will clear LegCo shortly and telling unrelated protestors in the area to leave quickly. Euronews and other Western press are still standing in the LegCo Lobby. (Good luck to them. :colonhash: )

https://www.facebook.com/HongKongPoliceForce/videos/679387209167765/
(edited 4 years ago)
Jeremy Hunt (Twitter)
'Away from campaigning want to stress UK support for Hong Kong and its freedoms is UNWAVERING on this anniversary day. No violence is acceptable but HK people MUST preserve right to peaceful protest exercised within the law, as hundreds of thousands of brave people showed today.'

The European Union releases a statement on events in Hong Kong.

"On several occasions over the past three weeks, the people of Hong Kong have taken to the streets in unprecedented numbers, peacefully exercising their fundamental right to assemble and to protest.

The actions today of a small number of people, who attempted to force their way into the Legislative Council premises, are not representative of the vast majority of demonstrators, who have been peaceful throughout successive protests.

In the wake of these latest incidents, it is all the more important to exercise restraint, avoiding escalatory responses, and to engage in dialogue and consultation to find a way forward."
(edited 4 years ago)
I feel sorry for them... but they are ****ed in the long-run.

Hong kong will become a closer and closer part of China, and there is little to nothing they can do about it except kick and scream like a child in a car that's being driven by their parents.. The child may be right, the parents may be doing awful.. but it doesn't mean the child can do a single thing to change the dirrection, except cause a fuss.

The political, economic and societal gravitational pull towards China is only going to get bigger in the coming decades, and the Chinese goverment knows it. They have their one china policy, and nothing will get in its way. What country will stand up to China for hongkong? The UK? Not a chance.. all it would take is a single economic threat from China, and the UK will throw hong kong under the bus before you can even see the bus coming.
I sense this protest is completely futile and I fear it will ruin the kid's lives but also accelerate the integration of Hong Kong into China. Although maybe a victory in the short run they are definitely screwed in the long run. I guess I'm proud they at least tried regardless of the outcome.

The last sentence gave me a stitch. :rofl: Ultimately the UK is not in a position to intervene.
Original post by fallen_acorns
I feel sorry for them... but they are ****ed in the long-run.

Hong kong will become a closer and closer part of China, and there is little to nothing they can do about it except kick and scream like a child in a car that's being driven by their parents.. The child may be right, the parents may be doing awful.. but it doesn't mean the child can do a single thing to change the dirrection, except cause a fuss.

The political, economic and societal gravitational pull towards China is only going to get bigger in the coming decades, and the Chinese goverment knows it. They have their one china policy, and nothing will get in its way. What country will stand up to China for hongkong? The UK? Not a chance.. all it would take is a single economic threat from China, and the UK will throw hong kong under the bus before you can even see the bus coming.

At a press conference in Beijing, foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang is asked about British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt’s comment that the recent Hong Kong protests make it even more important to reiterate that London’s commitment to the Sino-British Joint Declaration - the 1984 agreement which laid the groundwork for Hong Kong's handover - is unwavering.

“On July 1, 1997, China resumed its exercise of sovereignty over Hong Kong ... The British side does not have a so-called ‘responsibility’ for Hong Kong,” he says. “Hong Kong affairs are purely China’s internal affairs, and no foreign country has the right to interfere.”

Geng also criticised the British government for “frequently interfering in Hong Kong affairs”.

He adds: “We advise the British side to reposition itself, stop interfering with Hong Kong affairs in any way, and do more things that are conducive to Hong Kong’s prosperity and stability.”
(edited 4 years ago)

Uh oh, protesters shouting 'let's leave together' They survive one charge but they're going to fire the tear gas and smoke grenades now.
(edited 4 years ago)
Im sorry but do you like the Chinese government? It was our duty to protect the people of Hong Kong as they were part of our Empire, therefore we had the duty to protect them from the despicable Chinese government.

Would you be prepared to go to war to protect the empire? Would you have handed the colony back?
I feel this will backfire, the protest has turned into vandalism and the police have just let them flow into LegCo even when they likely had the capability to push them back. What will the aftermath of this be?

HK.JPG

Turning the public against the protesters due to their use of vandalism?
Crackdown of protest rights?
Mass arrests of those in LegCo soon?

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3015620/protesters-ram-legislature-hong-kong-marks-tense-handover
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-48821640

The vandalism and spraypainting are very bad moves. Undermines their cause and they are naive because the Chinese government will order a serious crackdown. No holds barred restoration of order, arrests, detentions and re education. Be amazed if most of them dont get a good beating plus made to apologise and put it down to western influences.
Yep this is why the police withdrew in the first place, the perfect bait and the people took it. Even the pan-democracy lawmakers were standing in front of the battering rams this morning telling them it's a mistake. The police could of easily defended LegCo if they wanted.
Original post by 999tigger
The vandalism and spraypainting are very bad moves. Undermines their cause and they are naive because the Chinese government will order a serious crackdown. No holds barred restoration of order, arrests, detentions and re education. Be amazed if most of them dont get a good beating plus made to apologise and put it down to western influences.
Yep this is why the police withdrew in the first place, the perfect bait and the people took it. Even the pan-democracy lawmakers were standing in front of the battering rams this morning telling them it's a mistake. The police could of easily defended LegCo if they wanted.

The protesters are naive and dumb. Played into the governments hands. The are doing a good job in adapting communism, but I dont think it will last forever. Long way off failing though as they have very firm grip on state aparatus plus the economy is relatively good.
Yep the Chinese Government is actually doing ok overall and have a firm grip on power which will be undisputed for many years. The best outcome that can possibly come out of this is the withdrawal of the extradition bill without the imposition of further restrictions to stop such protests happening again in the future. But this is as good an excuse as any to call for increased powers to the government and police. They should of just stayed peaceful.
The protesters are naive and dumb. Played into the governments hands. The are doing a good job in adapting communism, but I dont think it will last forever. Long way off failing though as they have very firm grip on state aparatus plus the economy is relatively good.
Would you be prepared to go to war to protect the empire? Would you have handed the colony back?

I would have certainly fought a lot harder for keeping our rightful territory, but yes in the end I would have been prepared for war
I would have certainly fought a lot harder for keeping our rightful territory, but yes in the end I would have been prepared for war

How was it our rightful territory beyond 1997?

What would you be fighting with?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending