The Student Room Group

GCHQ/CyberFirst Degree Apprenticeship in cyber security - applications now open

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ColetteStone101
Hi, Was just wondering whether you can still apply for this with only an interest to learn rather than any actual knowledge or background in IT or coding Thanks!😊

Hi ColetteStone101,

These are the requirements listed on their site:

Spoiler

It sounds to me that you need a little bit of a background in IT, coding is great to have too but not required at all.

Obviously I'm not an NCSC/GCHQ employee so don't take my word for it!
How do I use my interest in doing a degree in Economics, to show how I can transfer my skills into Cyber Security?
Original post by ColetteStone101
Hi, Was just wondering whether you can still apply for this with only an interest to learn rather than any actual knowledge or background in IT or coding Thanks!😊

Original post by dexybo
Hi ColetteStone101,

These are the requirements listed on their site:

Spoiler

It sounds to me that you need a little bit of a background in IT, coding is great to have too but not required at all.

Obviously I'm not an NCSC/GCHQ employee so don't take my word for it!

Hi @ColetteStone101 - @dexybo has given a pretty good answer there. We don't expect people who are applying for an apprenticeship to have encyclopaedic knowledge of the subject, but we do expect them to have an aptitude and keenness that will allow them to pick up the subject quickly. This is the sort of thing tested at the assessment centres and by the online labs, not the extent of your knowledge per se.

Hope this helps :smile:
Hi @The National Cyber Security Centre - are you able to share any details of the university involved at this point?
Original post by The National Cyber Security Centre
After seeing some discussion of this over the last few weeks and fielding some private messages, readers may be interested to know that applications are now open for our degree apprenticeship scheme, to begin in September 2019.

Based in Cheltenham, London, Bude or Scarborough, you’ll have a real role at GCHQ, learning and working amid some of the world’s most cutting-edge security technologies. All with a starting salary of £18k+.

Alongside your work, you’ll spend three years studying towards a recognised degree in Cyber Security, cementing the work you’re doing from day-to-day.

If you successfully complete your Degree Apprenticeship, and depending on our business needs, there’s a good chance we’ll offer you full-time employment with GCHQ or the NCSC.

You can find out more on our website, and our jobs page, where you can also apply online - the closing date is Friday 2nd November.

Hello,
I'm very intersted in applying for this apprenticeship next year, however i have been researching the apprentiship and on two different sites, i saw two different entry requirements, is there any way for you to confirm the entry requirements for the apprenticeship starting september 2020?
Thank you.
Original post by LawrenceLowe
Hello,
I'm very intersted in applying for this apprenticeship next year, however i have been researching the apprentiship and on two different sites, i saw two different entry requirements, is there any way for you to confirm the entry requirements for the apprenticeship starting september 2020?
Thank you.

Hello,

It's great to hear that you're interested in applying next year, and sorry to hear you’ve come across some confusing information. We do tweak our entry requirements from year to year for a variety of reasons, and it's possible that you came across a site containing out of date information.

The recommended source of up-to-date information is our official jobs page - you'll see on there that the entry requirements for the last round were as follows:

Be a UK National

Have (or be expecting to have by September 2019), 3 ‘A’ Levels in any subject at grade C or above (or equivalent)

Also have a IGCSE/GCSE Maths at grade of B or 6 or above (or equivalent)

Whilst we'll be carrying out our usual review before launching this year’s campaign, any changes we make are likely to be minor, and so the above requirements will provide a good guide. We'll update the web page when the time comes, and make sure we publicise the campaign’s launch.

We hope this helps but do get in touch if you have any other questions :smile:
Reply 26
Hi, I am interested in applying to this Apprenticeship, however I would firstly like to know what universities you can attend while doing this course.
(Original post by Naheem02)
Hi, I am interested in applying to this Apprenticeship, however I would firstly like to know what universities you can attend while doing this course.

Hi there - if you have a place on the CyberFirst Degree Apprenticeship then the learning parts are delivered by one particular university that we partner with; we don't divulge the name of this university publicly, but it is a leading UK university, which is very strong in teaching cyber security.

The nature of a degree apprenticeship means that you don't get to choose universities - each employer that offers an apprenticeship has chosen to work with a particular university in order to deliver the education parts of the apprenticeship, and will have a contract in place with that university.

We hope this answers your question, but are happy to answer any other questions you may have. :smile:
the learning parts are delivered by one particular university that we partner with; we don't divulge the name of this university publicly, but it is a leading UK university, which is very strong in teaching cyber security.

Good question, and sorry for not making that clearer. The university parts of the apprenticeship are delivered in Cheltenham, where we have our HQ and a purpose-built training centre, where the teaching staff are based. Apprentices may then be based at each of the four locations for their work placements, depending on their preferences and business requirements (as not of all our technology areas are based in Cheltenham).
Good question, and sorry for not making that clearer. The university parts of the apprenticeship are delivered in Cheltenham, where we have our HQ and a purpose-built training centre, where the teaching staff are based. Apprentices may then be based at each of the four locations for their work placements, depending on their preferences and business requirements (as not of all our technology areas are based in Cheltenham).

You're right, there isn't an expectation for apprentices to travel long distances every week. Instead, we deliver our scheme on a 'block' basis, whereby the apprentices spend several months at a time either engaged in learning or on their placements. The majority of the first year is spent on learning, with block placements following in later years. This allows the apprentices to really focus on both their learning and the work they do during their placements, and also helps to build their community.

We generally find that the apprentices who opt for placements in non-Cheltenham locations do so either because they are particularly interested in the work that is carried out there, and/or wish to build their career there following the apprenticeship.
Probably, yes. You'd have to be an utter idiot to not, anyway, if just to have 5-8 years of GCHQ work for your CV.
Original post by Aaronmills
Sorry for the confusion, of course, GCHQ is an amazing opportunity, but I was looking at doing a masters after graduating, would this still be possible if I went down this degree apprenticeship route?

As with all businesses, if there is a need for you to have an master’s they’ll, at the very least, partially fund it and make accommodations. However, if you want to do a Bachelors and then a masters directly after uni is probably your best bet, perhaps with the GCHQ bursary.
Original post by Aaronmills
Sorry for the confusion, of course, GCHQ is an amazing opportunity, but I was looking at doing a masters after graduating, would this still be possible if I went down this degree apprenticeship route?

The Job Description on the website clearly says they will only give you employment at GCHQ if you meet business needs and if you satisfy criteria. Nowhere does it say you need to stay. I assume there's nothing stopping you from doing a one year or part-time master's right after you finish the scheme - but if you want the master's fully funded you tend to need to do it part-time in a field relevant to advancing your career for that organisation.
What is the arrangements for accommodation during the apprenticeship. Does GCHQ have a list of “trusted” accommodation providers for each of the locations? Or is the student expected to find their own accommodation. I was going to drive from my home to the Harrogate location but it would be over 300 miles round trip down to Cheltenham?!
Original post by 2018Y11Student
What is the arrangements for accommodation during the apprenticeship. Does GCHQ have a list of “trusted” accommodation providers for each of the locations? Or is the student expected to find their own accommodation. I was going to drive from my home to the Harrogate location but it would be over 300 miles round trip down to Cheltenham?!

You’re paid more than enough that you can easily house share with other apprentices.
Original post by Colafusion
You’re paid more than enough that you can easily house share with other apprentices.

Oh yes, the wage is great. What I was implying is do DCHQ have a list of “recommended” accommodation? Or do they have student houses that you can pay to live in?

Or is it all independent that you must find your own?
Original post by 2018Y11Student
Oh yes, the wage is great. What I was implying is do DCHQ have a list of “recommended” accommodation? Or do they have student houses that you can pay to live in?

Or is it all independent that you must find your own?

Independent afaik. Think there’s a forum for those with space too, though don’t quote me on that, lol.
if anyone did/didnt get a place on this, how many labs did you complete roughly?
You're right, there isn't an expectation for apprentices to travel long distances every week. Instead, we deliver our scheme on a 'block' basis, whereby the apprentices spend several months at a time either engaged in learning or on their placements. The majority of the first year is spent on learning, with block placements following in later years. This allows the apprentices to really focus on both their learning and the work they do during their placements, and also helps to build their community.

We generally find that the apprentices who opt for placements in non-Cheltenham locations do so either because they are particularly interested in the work that is carried out there, and/or wish to build their career there following the apprenticeship.

Trying to find rotating, temporary accommodation between two cities could be a real challenge. Will apprentices receive help with funding two separate living spaces or is this expected to be covered by the salary? Is there an accommodation scheme as temporary accommodation is usually a struggle to find - renting somewhere for only a few months would be a killer on finances and credit scores when considering all the checks, admin fees, deposits etc... Some people will have opted to work in a city nearby to their current home. It would not be possible to keep renting/paying mortgage on a long-term home in the work placement location on top of months of accommodation in Cheltenham... How do apprentices usually manage this? Do most of those who live/have work placements away from Cheltenham usually live with parents?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending