The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

University of the Arts London-Postgraduate 2019

Hello!

My name is Zoe and I am currently studying MA Printmaking at Camberwell UAL. Before starting the course in September 2018 I did my BA Printmaking at the University of Brighton which I graduated in 2018.

In the final year of my BA I felt my art practice was at a exciting point and I wanted to expand and explore techniques and processes further. Visiting the facilities at UAL Camberwell I was thrilled by the technical resources available to students and the technicians extensive knowledge. There is a real sense of community at UAL Camberwell and I knew it was the place I wanted to study at!

Throughout my time at BA I worked closely with the outreach team which consisted of teaching and running workshops within the local community and people who may have not had access to the arts before. This has continued into my post graduate studies and I have recently become a UAL Outreach Ambassador running workshops for a variety of ages and skills.

That's a brief outline about my past education and why I wanted to continue my studies into postgraduate but please let me know by sending a message or replying to this thread if you have any questions about postgraduate studies!

Could anything from application, interview process, the cost of living, housing, access to technical resources, tutor time, careers and employment, timetables, living in London anything and everything!

Look forward to hearing from you,

Zoe :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi Zoe! I have a question about making an application. I'm applying for MA Fashion Media Production at LCF and I'm required to submit a study proposal. Problem is, I'm not sure what that means for an arty degree, let alone how to write one! Do you have any tips, examples of proposals, or even examples of what a MA final project might be? Thank you in advance!
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Hello kasq, I hope you are well and having a good day! A study proposal is a common thing within art schools and is basically another word for a brief or project. At universities often you set your own brief, it should set the vision of yourself, summarising your ideas and goals, explaining your objectives and how your going to achieve this, essentially if you were going to study this course what would you want to research or produce? A study proposal allows you to develop your ideas with a focus point that tutors and other peer members can help you develop your ideas further.

Briefs are often no more than one side of A4 (NO MORE THAN 500 WORDS) and focuses on these areas;

State briefly the background of your proposal- what do you want to produce/is there something you want to research? explain your ideas and thoughts

Set out clearly your aims and hopes for the proposal- summarise your end goals/at the end of the project what would you have wanted to produce/gain/answer your initial study proposal question?

Refer to critical theories and ideas/artists- who are your favourite artists/fashion designers/how are they going to influence your work and ideas?/is there any exhibitions you would go visit to help your visual research if so what are they? Did you see an article or exhibition which sparked this idea for your proposal?

How do you intend to cover out your project/target audience-how are you going to carry out this proposal/what materials would you use/what types of research would you carry out/who is your target audience? who is the work aimed at?

I would have a think about your main interests and do some research and just have a think about what would you like to research or find out or produce if you were on this course and just makes bullet points at this stage for each point I have listed above and before you know it you will have completed the study proposal! It could be really helpful for you to come visit an open day as staff will be able to give you an in depth talk about the structure of the course and students will be able to give you a tour of the facilities and university building. The dates for the open day are yet to go up but if you regularly check the website they will be up soon. Another great way to see the wide range of students work is attending the degree shows which happen around June.

I really hope that helps and is not too much of information overload! Please let me know if you have anymore questions about the application or anything else!Hope you have a nice evening, Zoe :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi Zoe, thanks for your quick reply. This was all really helpful, much appreciated! :smile:
Original post by kasq
Hi Zoe, thanks for your quick reply. This was all really helpful, much appreciated! :smile:

Hi Kasq, hope you are well! How is the application going? Hope all is well! :smile:
Reply 5
Hi Zoe!

I submitted my application and then portfolio on 19 May and am now waiting to hear back. How long does this usually take? Trying to be patient but need to plan my future and the wait (for possible interview, and then a wait after that for final decision!) makes that a bit tricky! Thanks :smile:
Original post by University of the Arts London Student Reps
Hi Kasq, hope you are well! How is the application going? Hope all is well! :smile:
Original post by kasq
Hi Zoe!

I submitted my application and then portfolio on 19 May and am now waiting to hear back. How long does this usually take? Trying to be patient but need to plan my future and the wait (for possible interview, and then a wait after that for final decision!) makes that a bit tricky! Thanks :smile:

Hi Kasq,

I hope you are well!

After you’ve applied, you would have received a confirmation email with your login details for the UAL Portal. We’ll contact you by email to ask you to upload any additional information to the UAL Portal, including inviting you to upload documents or book an interview, so make sure you check your email regularly, including spam folders.

Once we’ve reviewed and assessed your application, we’ll contact you via the UAL Portal to let you know whether your application has been successful.

We receive a great number of applications from talented students from the UK and across the world and it’s very important for us to ensure that each one gets the consideration it deserves. The amount of time it takes to reach a decision depends on many factors, including volume of applications, level of competition and whether your application is portfolio-based!

If you are worried about the time you could get in touch with the admissions team? London College of Communications Student administration number is;

Telephone: +44 (0)20 7514 7461 / 7462

[email protected]

May be worth giving them a call or email if your worried that you haven't heard anything back yet and I know it's hard cause you want to know whats happening but i'm sure you will hear back soon!

Hope that helps you and enjoy the rest of your day,

Student Rep
Reply 7
Thank you, this is very reassuring! They have just emailed saying they think I would be better suited to MA Fashion Journalism and asked if I would like an interview. I obviously would rather do the original course but I'm worried that if I say no to Journalism I will end up on no course whatsoever. Do you have any experience with this?
Hi Kasq,

I hope you are well!

After you’ve applied, you would have received a confirmation email with your login details for the UAL Portal. We’ll contact you by email to ask you to upload any additional information to the UAL Portal, including inviting you to upload documents or book an interview, so make sure you check your email regularly, including spam folders.

Once we’ve reviewed and assessed your application, we’ll contact you via the UAL Portal to let you know whether your application has been successful.

We receive a great number of applications from talented students from the UK and across the world and it’s very important for us to ensure that each one gets the consideration it deserves. The amount of time it takes to reach a decision depends on many factors, including volume of applications, level of competition and whether your application is portfolio-based!

If you are worried about the time you could get in touch with the admissions team? London College of Communications Student administration number is;

[email protected]

May be worth giving them a call or email if your worried that you haven't heard anything back yet and I know it's hard cause you want to know whats happening but i'm sure you will hear back soon!

Hope that helps you and enjoy the rest of your day,

Student Rep
Hey guys, is anybody looking for accommodation in December this year?
Reply 9
Hi Zoe,I’ve recently applied to MA Fashion Cultures at LCF, and I was just wondering how long the application process usually takes?I did my BA in Fashion Journalism at LCF too and my old tutor gave me really good feed back on my study proposal but I am yet to here anything back from my application really want to get started on plan things. Also, there used to be a scholarship called Fashion Matters but this doesn’t appear to be running this year? Do you have any advice on that?
Original post by kasq
Thank you, this is very reassuring! They have just emailed saying they think I would be better suited to MA Fashion Journalism and asked if I would like an interview. I obviously would rather do the original course but I'm worried that if I say no to Journalism I will end up on no course whatsoever. Do you have any experience with this?

Hello Kasq,

Hope you are well! I'm glad you got a response as waiting for an answer can be very stressful! With your original application are they going to give you an interview for your chosen course or just offer you an interview for MA Fashion Journalism?

Would the MA Fashion Journalism course being something you would be interested in or are you settled on the MA Fashion Media Production course? I wouldn't panic over this email, the staff have obviously seen something in your application and feel like your potential may be suited best on a slightly different course, this isn't a negative to you at all!

With the email you received did you have any contacts details of the course tutor? (MA Fashion Journalism) it may be a good idea to have a chat with the course tutor or arrange to go in or have a chat (or phone call) or book an appointment to go see the facilities and chat to current staff and students. It may also be worth phoning admissions and asking if you would be able to have an interview for both courses? I know with past experience of BA open days students can apply and have interivews for more than one course.

I would get in touch with admissions are see if you are able to have both interviews (or turn down the MA Journalism one) but don't take this as an negative towards your work or application!

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Zoe Prichard
Student Rep; MA Printmaking
Original post by ChloeVic
Hi Zoe,I’ve recently applied to MA Fashion Cultures at LCF, and I was just wondering how long the application process usually takes?I did my BA in Fashion Journalism at LCF too and my old tutor gave me really good feed back on my study proposal but I am yet to here anything back from my application really want to get started on plan things. Also, there used to be a scholarship called Fashion Matters but this doesn’t appear to be running this year? Do you have any advice on that?

Hi Chloe,

I hope you are well!

[email protected]

May be worth giving them a call or email if your worried that you haven't heard anything back yet and I know it's hard cause you want to know whats happening but i'm sure you will hear back soon as it can take as least a few weeks or more! Or if your a current student could you go check with student services?

I have looked up the scholarship and it appears to just be running for BA this year sadly, this is the link to all our scholarship at UAL if you want to have a search for any others that may be able to you. I just had a quick search for scholarships available to MA fashion students and there was over 2 pages! so they may be something else for you! Student services are also great about giving advice about what is available to students.
https://www.arts.ac.uk/study-at-ual/fees-and-funding/scholarships-search

Hope that helps you and enjoy the rest of your day!

Best wishes,

Zoe Prichard
Student Rep
MA Printmaking
Original post by kasq

Hi Kasq,

I hope you are well! Just wanted to check if you have had any updates regarding your application or interviews?

Hope you have a good rest of your day!

Student Rep
MA Printmaking
Reply 13
Hi Zoe,

I am currently working on my application for MA Fashion Journalism. The website says applications are open for 2019/2020 but do you have any idea on the deadline? Also, any tips?

Thank you so much.
Hello!

My name is Zoe and I am currently studying MA Printmaking at Camberwell UAL. Before starting the course in September 2018 I did my BA Printmaking at the University of Brighton which I graduated in 2018.

In the final year of my BA I felt my art practice was at a exciting point and I wanted to expand and explore techniques and processes further. Visiting the facilities at UAL Camberwell I was thrilled by the technical resources available to students and the technicians extensive knowledge. There is a real sense of community at UAL Camberwell and I knew it was the place I wanted to study at!

Throughout my time at BA I worked closely with the outreach team which consisted of teaching and running workshops within the local community and people who may have not had access to the arts before. This has continued into my post graduate studies and I have recently become a UAL Outreach Ambassador running workshops for a variety of ages and skills.

That's a brief outline about my past education and why I wanted to continue my studies into postgraduate but please let me know by sending a message or replying to this thread if you have any questions about postgraduate studies!

Could anything from application, interview process, the cost of living, housing, access to technical resources, tutor time, careers and employment, timetables, living in London anything and everything!

Look forward to hearing from you,

Hey which uni are you applying at
Original post by Ramshaa
Hi Zoe,

I am currently working on my application for MA Fashion Journalism. The website says applications are open for 2019/2020 but do you have any idea on the deadline? Also, any tips?

Thank you so much.
Reply 15
LCF
Original post by Anonymous
Hey which uni are you applying at
Hello!

I am applying for MA Strategic Fashion Marketing at LCF. I have decided to apply a little late and submitted my documents last month, but since I am overseas, the interviews are over on my location and the rep I am working with said they would probably do a skype interview.

I have been waiting for 10 days and since I would really like to search for plane tickets (that are getting more expensive by the day) and a place to live, I am worried about when they are going to answer me and schedule an interview.

Does anyone know more about skype interviews and if it´s common to wait for over two weeks to have it scheduled?

Thanks!
Original post by Ramshaa
Hi Zoe,

Thank you so much.

Hi Ramshaa,

I hope you are well and the application is going okay! There are no actual official deadlines to submit your application. Applications are accepted, and offers are made throughout the year, I would recommend applying soon as you can though as spaces can get filled up!

What parts of the application have you worked so far? I would just try and be as positive and enthusiastic as you can about the course as the tutors are looking for students that are really enthusiastic. The course seeks to recruit students who can demonstrate, a strong commitment and motivation towards a career in an aspect of fashion media, awareness and relevant experience of fashion and appropriate knowledge and skills commensurate with planned entry into the course.

Hope you have a good rest of your weekend and let me know if you have any specific questions about the application process, good luck!

Best wishes,

Zoe
Student Rep
MA Printmaking
Original post by manoelamarandino
Hello!

I am applying for MA Strategic Fashion Marketing at LCF. I have decided to apply a little late and submitted my documents last month, but since I am overseas, the interviews are over on my location and the rep I am working with said they would probably do a skype interview.

I have been waiting for 10 days and since I would really like to search for plane tickets (that are getting more expensive by the day) and a place to live, I am worried about when they are going to answer me and schedule an interview.

Does anyone know more about skype interviews and if it´s common to wait for over two weeks to have it scheduled?

Thanks!

Hi Manoelamarandino,

I hope you are well! We receive a great number of applications from talented students from the UK and across the world. It’s very important for us that each one gets the consideration it deserves. Decision times vary from course to course.

Have you been sent your login details for the Student Portal? Here is where we will get in touch with you about interviews etc. If invited to interview (or skype) you are able to book a time slot which works best for you so hopefully you will be able to book a time slot which works best for you! If your worried about timing you could get in touch with the admissions team?

Here are the details; Telephone: +44 (0)20 7514 7461 / 7462
[email protected]

Hope you have a good rest of your weekend and hope you have back soon!

Zoe
Student Rep
MA Printmaking
Thank you for your answer, Zoe!

I still haven’t got any answer on my application and I get a little nervous because I still have to apply for a visa once I have it all confirmed.

I have contacted them via the student portal and they said the same as you, that they are still reviewing it all. I just hope it all turns out okay!

Thank you once again for your time and answer!
Hi Manoelamarandino,

I hope you are well! We receive a great number of applications from talented students from the UK and across the world. It’s very important for us that each one gets the consideration it deserves. Decision times vary from course to course.

Have you been sent your login details for the Student Portal? Here is where we will get in touch with you about interviews etc. If invited to interview (or skype) you are able to book a time slot which works best for you so hopefully you will be able to book a time slot which works best for you! If your worried about timing you could get in touch with the admissions team?

Here are the details; Telephone: +44 (0)20 7514 7461 / 7462
[email protected]

Hope you have a good rest of your weekend and hope you have back soon!

Zoe
Student Rep
MA Printmaking

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending