The Student Room Group

Other drivers getting frustrated with me however I am sticking to the speed limit?

Passed my test last week and doing my best to stick to speed limits. I notice drivers cursing and driving up close because I am not going fast enough.. The thing is the road signs say 30pmph and I am doing 30.. So not sure what the problem is. There's a road I take to work which is a 30 and even has speed camera warnings (I believe they are mobile ones and I've yet to see any police activity in the area) people often do 50 on the road, one guy must have been hitting 80 at one point. Am I living in a dream world by obeying speed limits? I feel at danger by doing so! I don't want to lose my license.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Other people are in the wrong for driving over the speed limit. Often people drive faster when they're in a hurry.

You are in the right to stick to speed limits. I've been driving since September last year (when I passed my test) and have just ignored other drivers behind me or let them overtake if possible. Most drivers are okay doing my speed (which is often either the limit or up to 10 miles less, never over).

You're not living in a dream world at all, others are for thinking if they drive faster they will get to their destination quicker which doesn't always happen sometimes.
Reply 2
Speed limits in this country are a disgrace
Have you got P plates on? I never used them but my friends said they really noticed people harassing them more with them on, when they’re meant to have the opposite effect! If not, you just sometimes get idiots on the road - stick to the speed limit, stay safe and let them do their stupid driving :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by J0n3zviper
Passed my test last week and doing my best to stick to speed limits. I notice drivers cursing and driving up close because I am not going fast enough.. The thing is the road signs say 30pmph and I am doing 30.. So not sure what the problem is. There's a road I take to work which is a 30 and even has speed camera warnings (I believe they are mobile ones and I've yet to see any police activity in the area) people often do 50 on the road, one guy must have been hitting 80 at one point. Am I living in a dream world by obeying speed limits? I feel at danger by doing so! I don't want to lose my license.

Are you really doing 30 though? What does your speedo say?

Bang on 30? Probably closer to 25 than it is to 30 then in reality. You can afford to creep up a bit for the sake of other drivers.

It pisses me off when people do an indicated 25-30 on a 30 road, because I can only shift to fourth and stay there if we maintain at an indicated 32.
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
Are you really doing 30 though? What does your speedo say?

Bang on 30? Probably closer to 25 than it is to 30 then in reality. You can afford to creep up a bit for the sake of other drivers.

It pisses me off when people do an indicated 25-30 on a 30 road, because I can only shift to fourth and stay there if we maintain at an indicated 32.

I keep it pretty bang on 30, a guy I work with said that when it shows me doing 30 it's likely I'm actually doing less, not sure how that really works.. Im not sure how far over the speed limit I can be to avoid any points but rather stick to the spot on mph or 2mph below tbh.

You won't lose your licence for obeying the law.

If you're following the speed limit and other people are speeding, they're the ones at risk of losing their licence.
Reply 8
I keep it pretty bang on 30, a guy I work with said that when it shows me doing 30 it's likely I'm actually doing less, not sure how that really works.. Im not sure how far over the speed limit I can be to avoid any points but rather stick to the spot on mph or 2mph below tbh.

In that case, you can quite happily go up to 33mph on the speedo without problems.

Every little helps maintain a smooth flow of traffic.
Reply 9
Original post by IWMTom
In that case, you can quite happily go up to 33mph on the speedo without problems.

What if a speed camera is near?

You're in the right, but practically no one actually obeys the speed limits to be fair.
If you want to obey the limits, then get a sticker saying you have a black box. It'll make people behind you understand better than P plates
Original post by MagnumKoishi
You're in the right, but practically no one actually obeys the speed limits to be fair.
If you want to obey the limits, then get a sticker saying you have a black box. It'll make people behind you understand better than P plates

"i have a black box, don't @ me"

Not many people stick precisely to speed limits, but they really have nothing to say if you do. I'd check your speedo against GPS to see how much over it is recording, so that you can get closer to the limit - one or two mph over shouldn't be an issue, but people will be frustrated if you're 3 mph under. That's mainly, IMO, down to speed limits being too low, or lower ones extending way past where they're needed. Personally, my observance of speed limits is proportional to the probability of there being pedestrians, cyclists, and other vulnerable road users present.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
What if a speed camera is near?

Then you're well under the tolerance for it to go off.

A good driver is able to slow down for a speed camera.

Spoiler

Honestly I hope none of you drive near me. Speed limits are in place for a reason. Its often to protect pedestrians, or because of hidden dangers.
Its all well and good saying you feel comfortable going faster, but if someone doesn't feel comfortable doing so they shouldn't. The roads are a dangerous place. Just pull over and let people pass if it is safe. Better than being in an accident.
Ignore them. If they're so desperate to speed then just let them overtake you when they can. 30mph isn't a target, it's the maximum you should be travelling at although a couple of mph over won't make too much difference in the majority of cases. A good driver can assess different factors and then decide on the appropriate speed to travel at in that situation, just because the limit is 30mph it doesn't mean you should be doing that speed if driving near a school or with ice on the road for example.
You are in the right. Try not to let them bother you. I know they can cause extra stress when driving.
They do it to me sometimes when I'm in the speed limit. Just think "get lost".

Original post by IWMTom

Stop telling them to do the wrong thing lol.
If someone starts tailgating me I just slow down even more and that really pisses the off but I don’t care since I’m rarely in a rush.
I wouldn’t go over what your speedometer says if you have a black box or you could install a digital one as it may be more accurate?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by OddOnes
Stop telling them to do the wrong thing lol.

You need to get a grip if you think it's "the wrong thing".

If you don't go with the flow of traffic, you are a danger. It's simple.

Driving is NOT black and white; common sense is required.
It's statistically more dangerous to drive slower than the general speed of traffic than to drive at it, even if the general speed is above the limit. (but slow down for speed cameras).

Latest

Trending

Trending