The Student Room Group

Writing your dissertation in a week

So I know I will get a bit of backlash on this. However I've decided to post anyway.
I have done all my degree work the night before and I was confident the dreaded dissertation would not be the same last minute stress.
I started researching in advance but life and no motivation got in the way.
I kept leaving it and leaving it. No idea why as I knew it had to be done.
I even saw posts on here advising how to write it in 8 weeks, then 4, then 2, then it got to my final week.

It suddenly dawned on me I needed to get it done rapid.
I panicked with all the replies I had seen saying it was not possible, or near impossible with such little research and preparation.

However I'm posting this to say it is. I don't recommend it but if anyone reads this like I did with other posts hopefully it will help. (If for whatever reason you're in such a situation)

My 1st day I went back through my research.
2nd day I wrote 3000 words of the introduction and the literature review.
3rd day I completed the literature review and started to focus for the research proposal.
4th day I wrote 3000 words for that.
5th day I finished it.
6th and 7th will be to re read and edit as required.
I did my references as I went along.

Yes it may not be perfect, but I won't know until its graded and I actually think it's pretty good.
Just wanted to highlight that if in a year or so anyone finds themselves panicking in such a mess, you can do it!
The pressure of knowing you will fail if you don't get it done rapid will enable you to do it!
(edited 4 years ago)
Dissertation for what though?
Reply 2
Undergrad 10,000
Yeah lol I wrote my entire EPQ in a week , having done some research before , because I just kept putting it off and doing other things instead
Still got an A though
Anythings possible when you put your mind to it
Reply 4
It really is, well done to you for doing it.

I had got myself so worked up as I was the typical student searching on here and google for advice on how best to start instead of starting! People had posted it would be endless and bad to do. But, I didn't find it all that bad compared to what I'd read. Tiring granted, but I slept too. Adrenaline must've just kicked in and I was able to just write.
Think uni has definitely taught me I work better under pressure. 😂
Original post by Izzythestudent
Yeah lol I wrote my entire EPQ in a week , having done some research before , because I just kept putting it off and doing other things instead
Still got an A though
Anythings possible when you put your mind to it
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by R1090
Undergrad 10,000

I've actually written about that much in a single day. Just turn your phone off, put music on, and close all browsers except what you need for research.

And get off TSR 'til it's done. Asking how to do it doesn't get it done.
Reply 6
I agree now.
I had just searched previously for advice and strategies and an overwhelming amount of replies on similar posts were negative. Which I get, however a lot were saying it was not really doable ect or it would be horrific.
They made me put it off more 🤦*♀️
And now I've done it, it really isn't as bad as people had made out. Hopefully someone will see this and realise it's not all bad!
Original post by Tootles
I've actually written about that much in a single day. Just turn your phone off, put music on, and close all browsers except what you need for research.

And get off TSR 'til it's done. Asking how to do it doesn't get it done.
Original post by R1090
I agree now.
I had just searched previously for advice and strategies and an overwhelming amount of replies on similar posts were negative. Which I get, however a lot were saying it was not really doable ect or it would be horrific.
They made me put it off more 🤦*♀️
And now I've done it, it really isn't as bad as people had made out. Hopefully someone will see this and realise it's not all bad!

did you do well in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending