The Student Room Group

Manual Or Automatic?

Scroll to see replies

Although I passed in manual and drive an automatic, I still think it’s worth it. 20 years is still a long time!
Original post by Mrx123
it just seems pointless if in 20 yrs or so, more automatics will be on the road than Manuals

How? If you pass in a manual you can drive an auto so may as well pass in a manual.. And 20yrs is a long time to wait, manuals aren't going to suddenly disappear over night. Anyway I drove an auto once and may as well have gone to sleep in the back as the car had a mind of its own. Better to actually be in full control of the car.
licence*
Original post by Doublletrouble
YES ofcourse if you get a manual license you can drive both manual and automatic , anywhere in the world that you go! But if you just get automatic license you're not allowed to drive a manual so better to get 2 in 1

Original post by OctoberRain7
I’m actually just getting an automatic license (I think). I kinda failed learning on a manual (I have dyspraxia) so it looks like I have a better chance with an automatic. Whenever I get a car it’ll just have to be an automatic, it’s not really a big deal
I mean, the Government aren't enforcing electric-only rules till... What? 2040. I'd say that manuals will still make up a good chunk of the used market until ~2045-2050

I mean, manual hybrids do exist but they're not common. But honestly, you'll have a lot more options in those 20-30 years Not to mention that manuals are still slightly better when it comes to fuel economy. I believe the only area where this doesn't always ring true is with HGVs, though it's worth noting that HGVs spend a lot of time cruising on the motorway and most automatic HGVs don't actually use a traditional automatic gearbox but rather an automated manual gearbox (functionally the same for the most part but differs in design).
Original post by Notnek
Also it’s 2019 so why manual cars still exist is beyond me. Theres no need to control the gears yourself unless you’re in a race. Plus modern automatics can change gears faster than humans can.

They're cheaper for all parties involved. Automatics tend to be more expensive, especially if you're the sort of person who might buy a base-spec car which generally lacks the option of fitting an auto box (2nd or 3rd lowest specs seem to be where manufacturers start to offer auto box options), unlike in the US, the option alone here in Europe tends to add about a grand to the price of the car. It isn't just retail and resale value either, automatics generally cost more to maintain as well and they're cheaper to manufacture. Not to mention the fuel economy differences, at best you're looking at about 5% more fuel used in a CVT than a manual and as much as 10% more in a traditional automatic.
It's always puzzled me why automatic cars are less fuel efficient than manual. I would've thought with automatic transmission, you're going to be running at the more optimal gear for your given speed.
Original post by julietlima3
It's always puzzled me why automatic cars are less fuel efficient than manual. I would've thought with automatic transmission, you're going to be running at the more optimal gear for your given speed.

gear maps are a complex thing, and there's much more than just specific fuel consumption monitored by manufacturers, ride comfort being another main thing, auto's will be not compromise a jerky & noisy box for a tiny gain in average fuel consumption.
Original post by Bubblylibra
Although I passed in manual and drive an automatic, I still think it’s worth it. 20 years is still a long time!

That's basically how I feel too.

I'm a recent convert to auto with my latest car, but I learned in a manual and drove 2 of those first. I only went to see my auto car as it was a semi auto-flappy paddle job, but since getting it I far prefer the auto and i'll prob get another after this.

I can see what way the wind is blowing, Auto will be king, at least until self driving hydrostatic jobs or whatever new thing takes over. In UK it lags behind but globally it seems clear. But i'm still v glad i learned in a manual and got to know how they work/drive and have that choice. My auto car is having some electrical issues causing stalling occasionally, and knowing the clutch feel of a manual helps a lot to mitigate it :P

I work in landscaping so vans/trucks all over the place, and the fleets are 95% manual and I don't see any real shift in choice going on, any vehicle i get handed for work will almost certainly need a manual licence. Governments sets lots of targets, and meet few of them.
(Original post by Notnek)...Also it’s 2019 so why manual cars still exist is beyond me.

The driving experience / driver involvement. Some of us drive for pleasure and even the most advanced automatic gearbox would utterly ruin certain cars. Many enthusiasts think the same, which is why a large number of 2nd hand performance cars are more highly sought after if they have a manual gearbox.

Also, at the cheaper end of the market, cost. - Auto boxes are more expensive to produce.
Original post by LeMansClivey
(Original post by Notnek)...Also it’s 2019 so why manual cars still exist is beyond me.

The driving experience / driver involvement. Some of us drive for pleasure and even the most advanced automatic gearbox would utterly ruin certain cars. Many enthusiasts think the same, which is why a large number of 2nd hand performance cars are more highly sought after if they have a manual gearbox.

Also, at the cheaper end of the market, cost. - Auto boxes are more expensive to produce.

I've found automatic cars to be less responsive. Especially when moving off - for example I've experience this a few times where I've touched the accelerator, then backed off it, then pressed it down, and there was a significant lag time before the car responded and started to accelerate
I've found automatic cars to be less responsive. Especially when moving off - for example I've experience this a few times where I've touched the accelerator, then backed off it, then pressed it down, and there was a significant lag time before the car responded and started to accelerate

Yes, this is true...and it’s worse still with some turbo engines where you also have a slight delay due to the “fly-by-wire” throttle & engine management system, then another delay until the turbo spoils-up (assuming you’re trying to pull out of a junction into a gap in the traffic). My Land Rover is like this and you have to take it into account. Overall though, the auto suits my Discovery.
Original post by Mrx123
With the government wanting to slowly phase out Manual cars over the next couple of decades, is it worth learning at all?

Yeah I'd say it's worth it because you never know when you might need to drive a manual car. A manual licence works both ways but automatic does not.

This is most likely due to the car type you drive. If it is a car purely for function (not performance) at low speed cars are very efficient, so they are probably using the ECU to balance internal engine operating pressures on the assumption to maintain a decent fuel flow rate (fuel efficiency regulation is based on fleet averages for the manufacturers so they drive efficiency up on cars they can), leading to a torque lag rather than actual box being slow.

A good DCT or AMT transmission should perform much faster than the 3 pedalled cars, but these are normally in performance orientated cars.

You were indecisive and the car waited patiently till it was sure you'd made your mind up. 10/10 that car for responsiveness.
Original post by StriderHort
You were indecisive and the car waited patiently till it was sure you'd made your mind up. 10/10 that car for responsiveness.

The overwhelming majority of car enthusiasts will want a drivetrain that responds with as little delay as possible to each individual pedal movement. Sadly, most modern cars are dumbed down so that ham-fisted people can drive them badly without consequence (example: clutch delay valves) and ironically, this makes them awkward counter-intuitive for "proper" drivers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending