The Student Room Group

Advice on National 5's

Hey everyone, I'm just about to go into S4 and sit my National 5s.
In my school we do S3 exams, sort of like a prelim for the prelim.
I got -
Accounting - A/100%
Chemistry - A/85%
Biology - A/79%
Physics - B/67% (1 mark off an A)
Maths - A/98%
English - A/90%
Music - A/96%
History - A/94%

I'm very pleased about all these results except Biology and Physics, and given that I want to do medicine I'm slightly concerned. I'm certain I can improve these results but just hope that I don't freeze during the actual exam. I'm also doing my Higher Music this year and will be sitting that instead of the Nat 5.
Hopefully for Higher I'll be able to sit Maths, English, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. Although if my school doesn't allow me to sit all 3 sciences at higher, I'd probably do Accounting instead of physics. If I wasn't allowed to sit all 3, would it be worth getting a tutor and doing Higher Physics outside of school, or would Higher Accounting be okay for applying to Medicine?

If I didn't do Higher Physics in S5 would I have to do it in S6 along with Adv. Higher Chemistry and Biology? Or is it not necessary for medicine. I know in the entry requirements it only needs one of maths and physics but I was wondering if it's preferred or not.
Thanks so much!
Reply 1
I don't see why you couldn't do all 3 each year, my school never had those restrictions as long as it fit into the timetable columns.

Can't speak too much for what you actually need to have but it sounds like you have it covered.

I did higher physics with AH Bio ans Chem in S6 because I left it in S4 and it was fine. Physics and Chem went nicely together that year with what we were being taught so it was easier than I expected so it isn't a bad plan if you don't want to just do all 3 to AH.

Good luck with it.
Reply 2
Thank you so much! For some reason my school has some timetable issues so I may not be able to take all 3, or I'd have to travel to a nearby school to do it. Hopefully that isn't the case but I'd really like to get physics out of the way in S5 so that I have less to worry about in S6 😂
Reply 3
Original post by gotohellkitty
Hey everyone, I'm just about to go into S4 and sit my National 5s.
In my school we do S3 exams, sort of like a prelim for the prelim.
I got -
Accounting - A/100%
Chemistry - A/85%
Biology - A/79%
Physics - B/67% (1 mark off an A)
Maths - A/98%
English - A/90%
Music - A/96%
History - A/94%

I'm very pleased about all these results except Biology and Physics, and given that I want to do medicine I'm slightly concerned. I'm certain I can improve these results but just hope that I don't freeze during the actual exam. I'm also doing my Higher Music this year and will be sitting that instead of the Nat 5.
Hopefully for Higher I'll be able to sit Maths, English, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. Although if my school doesn't allow me to sit all 3 sciences at higher, I'd probably do Accounting instead of physics. If I wasn't allowed to sit all 3, would it be worth getting a tutor and doing Higher Physics outside of school, or would Higher Accounting be okay for applying to Medicine?

If I didn't do Higher Physics in S5 would I have to do it in S6 along with Adv. Higher Chemistry and Biology? Or is it not necessary for medicine. I know in the entry requirements it only needs one of maths and physics but I was wondering if it's preferred or not.
Thanks so much!

Hi! I'm not personally applying for medicine, but two of my best friends are in the process of applying for medicine at the moment. I've also sat N5s and Highers and got straight As at N5 (anxiously awaiting higher results!) so hopefully can be some help :smile:

The standard medicine entry requirement for Scottish Unis is AAAAA-AAAAB at Higher, with Chemistry and Biology plus Maths or Physics required. Some are less proscriptive and only require Chemistry plus 2 from biology/maths/physics. Most medical schools generally ask for a B pass in N5 English. Note that Higher English isn't required, nor is a language - these are two quite common misconceptions. Take a look at some of the websites for Universities you're interested, they will indicate entry requirements.

There generally aren't any restrictions from schools placed on Highers if you do well enough at N5, such as A/Bs. My two friends did get straight As at N5 and were able to take the subjects they wanted at Highers - such as Biology, Chemistry, English, Maths, Physics - so don't worry about it at all. Just concentrate on getting good results at N5 and I'm certain your school will be accommodating.

If your school isn't accommodating, firstly indicate to them the entry requirements for the course you intend to study - this may force them to budge as placing an obstacle in your way wouldn't be in anyone's interest. Usually, schools keep the sciences in different columns for timetabling purposes as medicine/vet med/dentistry need several sciences.

If they persist, then Accounting, Biology, Chemistry, English, Maths would be absolutely fine - taking 6 Highers is an additional stress. Your priority should be to get the best possible results. It wouldn't be essential for you to take Higher Physics in S6, alongside AH Chem and Biology but may be useful for medical school. Hope this helps!
Reply 4
Thank you so much! That was a big help, good luck with your Higher results, I'm sure you'll do amazingly! 💕
Reply 5
Original post by gotohellkitty
Thank you so much! That was a big help, good luck with your Higher results, I'm sure you'll do amazingly! 💕

No problem! Glad I could help. Thanks very much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending