The Student Room Group

Will I be able to do well with these A-level choices?

Hi guys. So basically, I’ve been thinking a lot, recently, about which subjects I’d like to study at college. I’ve known for a few years now that I want to do biology and chemistry, but I’ve always struggled with what to take as a third subject. However, one of the subjects I enjoyed most during high school (especially during GCSE’s) was physics, and so I’m starting to like the idea of studying it further. As much as I’d like to study it, I’ve seen a lot of people saying I’ll struggle if I do not take maths with it ☹️, so I’m not 100% sure. Do you think I’d be ok studying physics without maths? Have any of you done it in the past? Any advice would be super useful. Thanks for your help!
Reply 1
I’ve just finished year 12 and do bio, Chem and maths. A lot of people who don’t do maths with chemistry struggle a lot due to the amount of maths in a level chemistry. There is also quite a bit of maths on bio but it’s very little compared to chemistry. Physics and maths are a must have together. I was considering doing bio, chem and physics and they said do maths and physics together. There is so much overlap between the two from what I’ve heard so it might be useful. Think about future career options before making your choice and maybe do all 4 to start with and drop the one which you find the least interesting or the hardest. But I would definitely recommend talking maths.
Reply 2
It will be slightly more difficult without maths. Talk to your sixth form, as it is certain parts of topics that are useful such as log laws.T to your physics teacher when you start about what you specifically need to know from maths then see if you could talk to a maths teacher and possibly even sit in on a couple of maths lessons when they are studying those really useful bits. This could help massively.

If you are not entirely sure about your third subject choice talk to your sixth form about this as well - you could ask if you could start 4 subjects then drop one when you're sure about your subjects.
Reply 3
It might depend on your GCSE results as well. Of you get 8s and 9s (and maybe a 7) in these subjects and maths then you might be able to handle it, otherwise it will be tough.
Reply 4
It helps to be good at maths, because there's a lot of rearranging of equations and there is a slight overlap between physics and A-level maths, which is most evident in the topics about fields, capacitance and radioactive decay. But you can just learn the maths you need, I remember the AQA textbook has sections on maths skills in physics.
It's not really a question of whether maths A-level is necessary, but whether you're already good at math and can learn a few more advanced topics.
Are you planning on applying to uni? If so, which course? Physical science courses are quite likely to require maths.
I think doing physics and chemistry would be hard without maths however not impossible, if you’re physics teacher was supportive you could ask them to teach you a bit of maths that would be useful in physics, although not sure how well this would work. Have you considered doing 4 a levels including maths although this would be hard it may help you if your school lets you even if it’s just for year 12 as it will help you in physics, if you don’t want to do this it is definitely possible to do physics without maths as long as you already have a good understanding of it (at least grade 7 GCSE) then you should be ok. Good luck :smile:
I know people that do Bio, Chem and Physics without Maths and they are fine, I know someone that does Bio, Chem, Physics, and Maths and they are also fine. They are both doing equally well. As long as you put the work in and have a good maths background you should be fine!

A-levels are tough, so don't worry if you aren't getting A's straight away! I love Biology, Chemistry not so much. It is my weakest. If you ever need any Bio/Chem help though, just give me a message!

All the best,

Millie :smile:
Original post by Lau2en_
I’ve just finished year 12 and do bio, Chem and maths. A lot of people who don’t do maths with chemistry struggle a lot due to the amount of maths in a level chemistry. There is also quite a bit of maths on bio but it’s very little compared to chemistry. Physics and maths are a must have together. I was considering doing bio, chem and physics and they said do maths and physics together. There is so much overlap between the two from what I’ve heard so it might be useful. Think about future career options before making your choice and maybe do all 4 to start with and drop the one which you find the least interesting or the hardest. But I would definitely recommend talking maths.

Thanks for the advice! I guess it’s really a question of whether it’s possible to just learn the maths components, I guess I’ll have to wait and see
Original post by Elliej94
It might depend on your GCSE results as well. Of you get 8s and 9s (and maybe a 7) in these subjects and maths then you might be able to handle it, otherwise it will be tough.

Thanks for the advice! Maths isn’t my strongest subject, but it’s not my weakest either. I guess if I could learn the topics where maths is especially necessary from a teacher separately that might allow me to do it
Original post by Sinnoh
It helps to be good at maths, because there's a lot of rearranging of equations and there is a slight overlap between physics and A-level maths, which is most evident in the topics about fields, capacitance and radioactive decay. But you can just learn the maths you need, I remember the AQA textbook has sections on maths skills in physics.
It's not really a question of whether maths A-level is necessary, but whether you're already good at math and can learn a few more advanced topics.
Are you planning on applying to uni? If so, which course? Physical science courses are quite likely to require maths.

Thanks for the advice! I’d love to go to uni, and if I had to choose a course now, it would probably be something to do with biology/chemistry, I can’t be sure yet but I doubt I’ll want to do a physics related degree
Original post by Emily~3695
I think doing physics and chemistry would be hard without maths however not impossible, if you’re physics teacher was supportive you could ask them to teach you a bit of maths that would be useful in physics, although not sure how well this would work. Have you considered doing 4 a levels including maths although this would be hard it may help you if your school lets you even if it’s just for year 12 as it will help you in physics, if you don’t want to do this it is definitely possible to do physics without maths as long as you already have a good understanding of it (at least grade 7 GCSE) then you should be ok. Good luck :smile:

Thanks for the advice! I have though about trying 4 a-levels but both my parents are really against the idea. They say that it’ll mean I’ll just have less time to study the three that’ll actually matter in the end
Original post by Millie_Rose_
I know people that do Bio, Chem and Physics without Maths and they are fine, I know someone that does Bio, Chem, Physics, and Maths and they are also fine. They are both doing equally well. As long as you put the work in and have a good maths background you should be fine!

A-levels are tough, so don't worry if you aren't getting A's straight away! I love Biology, Chemistry not so much. It is my weakest. If you ever need any Bio/Chem help though, just give me a message!

All the best,

Millie :smile:

Thanks for the advice! I feel as though learning the components of physics that have a lot of maths in may be possible if I put the effort in! In terms of biology and chemistry, I’ve heard similar opinions from a lot of other people taking them as well lol, although I guess they’re useful qualifications to have for the future!
Original post by FrankSmith2002
Hi guys. So basically, I’ve been thinking a lot, recently, about which subjects I’d like to study at college. I’ve known for a few years now that I want to do biology and chemistry, but I’ve always struggled with what to take as a third subject. However, one of the subjects I enjoyed most during high school (especially during GCSE’s) was physics, and so I’m starting to like the idea of studying it further. As much as I’d like to study it, I’ve seen a lot of people saying I’ll struggle if I do not take maths with it ☹️, so I’m not 100% sure. Do you think I’d be ok studying physics without maths? Have any of you done it in the past? Any advice would be super useful. Thanks for your help!

you will NOT struggle A level physics without maths. the A level is specifically designed to avoid overlap with A level maths and is therefore 'fake' physics in relation to degree physics.

however... A level maths is far more useful so do that instead please.
Original post by A Rolling Stone
you will NOT struggle A level physics without maths. the A level is specifically designed to avoid overlap with A level maths and is therefore 'fake' physics in relation to degree physics.

however... A level maths is far more useful so do that instead please.

Thanks for the advice, but I’m not sure if maths will be that useful, for me, in the future. I’m only really choosing physics because it’s something I’m interested in and think I might be able to even enjoy lol
Original post by FrankSmith2002
Thanks for the advice! I have though about trying 4 a-levels but both my parents are really against the idea. They say that it’ll mean I’ll just have less time to study the three that’ll actually matter in the end

That is definitely true but you could do 4 just for year 12 and the drop the one you like the least because it may not actually be the one you expect and if you end up hating one other subjects you thought you would like you would have the chance to drop it. If you decide not to do maths you could always talk to you physics teacher and maybe a maths teacher at your school so they can help you with the maths relevant to physics or you could always teach yourself a little bit so that physics is easier, good luck with whichever a levels you choose :smile:
Don’t do physics without maths unless your really good at maths as Iv just fished year 12 and did physics without maths and let’s just say I failed so have had to drop physics and take up another a level.
It’s difficult because you have to teach yourself the maths aswell where as everyone else learns it kn lesson so I always fell behind
You can totally do I only got a 5 in GCSE maths(teacher gave up with 30% of the content lol) but i got 7s and an 8 in my sciences at GCSE and right now i am doing just fine i average an A in chemsitry a B in Biology and anywhere from an A-B in physics so you'll be fine it's just a matter of being passionate about the subject and how much practice for the maths you want to do hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest