The Student Room Group

Graduated Driving Licence

What do you guys think about the Graduated Driving Licence system?
It is currently been run as a pilot test in Northern Ireland and they are thinking about starting it in UK.
Reply 1
I am not sure about the graduated system. At 18 people need to get around the country and unless you are in central city it is non existent in many placed
It is rather dystopian to expect kids to not go out and travel of have parents collect them. What could happen is a mandatory R (rookie) plate for all new drivers (not just young drivers) for first 9 months
Original post by Debdoos
What could happen is a mandatory R (rookie) plate for all new drivers (not just young drivers) for first 9 months

The trouble there is other road users will treat these drivers dismissively and with impatience,which is exactly what they do with P plates.
Reply 3
It'll force more drivers to drive illegally therefore uninsured in my opinion.
I'm in favour of a graduated licence, but not in the way proposed.
Don't limit driving to only daytime or without passengers, both of those are just damn stupid ideas; look at the case of someone in north Scotland that's just passed their test and has young kids for example and you'll see that this would stop them from being able to collect said kids from school in the winter!
Engine size/performance limits for a length of time after passing would, I think, be a better idea. Would need looking into and I know that insurance costs act as a limit for most people but not all.
I'd also be in favour of cutting the waiting time on successful completion of advanced training.
Reply 5
I think P plates should be made compulsory so that people know the driver is new and not that much experienced and hence help him in any ways they could
Reply 6
Rather than acting dismissive with them others could possibly drive safely around them and take extra care
Reply 7
Well if we want to increase road safety we have to be considerate about others and help each other
I feel like all it's going to lead to is people trying to skirt around these restrictions and cause more issues with wasting police time etc.

That said I don't think anything on that list is too restrictive apart from the curfew and potentially the amount of passengers and speed. A lot of young people work in pubs, clubs, bars, fast food outlets and so finish quite late at night sometimes, they now won't be able to work those shifts if this new scheme comes into place which isn't fair as not everyone gets to pick and choose when they work.
Well I am 27 and want to drive and learn to drive. If I pass my test and it is in force it means i have restrictions while people who are younger then me and have passed before didn't face any of that so i feel its a bit unfair

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending