The Student Room Group

Studying Paramedic Science without a driving licence?

Hello, to keep it short -- I really only want to study Paramedicine, however I can't drive due to medical issues (vertigo). I haven't been able to find any role that doesn't require 2-3 years of experience, or any provider that isn't an ambulance service that offers the 2 year consolidation period after graduation.

I've looked into nursing, as well as AHP's, there's really nothing else that interests me. I currently do medical cover for some events part time as a FREC3, however these are pretty few and far between and there really isn't any opportunity for me to advance beyond FREC 4 without a licence.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciate, thank you!
(edited 4 weeks ago)
In order to get onto a paramedic science course, you need to pass occupational health checks, are you sure you would be able to pass them to get onto the course (excluding driving license issues).
Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair
In order to get onto a paramedic science course, you need to pass occupational health checks, are you sure you would be able to pass them to get onto the course (excluding driving license issues).

Hello, thanks for the reply. I've reached out to a few unis and confirmed that I wouldn't be barred due to health reasons, and could theoretically do the course without a licence. The main issue is the Newly Qualified Paramedic period.
Original post by xgdgxgdg
Hello, thanks for the reply. I've reached out to a few unis and confirmed that I wouldn't be barred due to health reasons, and could theoretically do the course without a licence. The main issue is the Newly Qualified Paramedic period.

I would maybe get in contact with some ambulance services and see what they say
It should not bar you from studying, and employers are required to make reasonable adjustments for your conditions. Maybe speak to College of Paramedics for advice on this matter.

Quick Reply

Latest