The Student Room Group

Good a level combination?

Is maths chemistry french and econ a good combination of a levels? I'm not sure what I want to do in uni yet or what job i want to do in the future
Original post by maria_pineappe
Is maths chemistry french and econ a good combination of a levels? I'm not sure what I want to do in uni yet or what job i want to do in the future

Its broad... as I said... you cant do a specific degree with broad A level choices.... taking physics would give you good options...

Id advise you to drop econ... and take physics... cause you can do an econ degree with a physics A level... not the other way round
At the end of the day, it’s up to you. However, I would advise you have a more relaxed subject to give yourself some down time/subjects you find easier so you’re not overworking yourself:smile:
Original post by captainamerica77
Its broad... as I said... you cant do a specific degree with broad A level choices.... taking physics would give you good options...

Id advise you to drop econ... and take physics... cause you can do an econ degree with a physics A level... not the other way round

Ok thank you :smile:
Ok thank you :smile:

no problem...

those are the subjects I did btw...

I did maths, physics, chemistry and economics... All were the love of my life...
Reply 5

Are these the subjects you enjoy the most and are passionate about? If so, then I’d definitely say keep them. A-levels are challenging and it’s important that you study what you have a genuine interest in!!

You’ve chosen three very well-respected subjects here, and ones which will compliment one another. Maths comes in very useful for both chemistry and economics, and all three show competency with analysis, numbers and logic. French shows that you can also write essays, think qualitatively and have good language/communication skills. So I would say this is a very good combination, oui.

The above post is correct, if you wanted to study physics that is. But if you don’t enjoy it, don’t choose it.

These could get you on a good degree in economics, chemistry and french (I’d recommend further maths for a maths degree) as well as more broad subjects like management, international relations and business. Plus, having french means that you can do a joint course like ‘chemistry with french’ which will help you with jobs.

For keeping your options open, this is definitely a good combination of subjects!! If you have any more questions, I’m happy to help where I can :smile:
Original post by lemmens
Are these the subjects you enjoy the most and are passionate about? If so, then I’d definitely say keep them. A-levels are challenging and it’s important that you study what you have a genuine interest in!!

You’ve chosen three very well-respected subjects here, and ones which will compliment one another. Maths comes in very useful for both chemistry and economics, and all three show competency with analysis, numbers and logic. French shows that you can also write essays, think qualitatively and have good language/communication skills. So I would say this is a very good combination, oui.

The above post is correct, if you wanted to study physics that is. But if you don’t enjoy it, don’t choose it.

These could get you on a good degree in economics, chemistry and french (I’d recommend further maths for a maths degree) as well as more broad subjects like management, international relations and business. Plus, having french means that you can do a joint course like ‘chemistry with french’ which will help you with jobs.

For keeping your options open, this is definitely a good combination of subjects!! If you have any more questions, I’m happy to help where I can :smile:

Thank you so much. I am passionate about maths, chemistry and french. I have never taken economics before but i feel that a social science will be useful for me in understanding current affairs and stuff like that.

Physics is something I don't hate but I don't love it either. Also whenever I suggest to someone i might take physics they look at me in a shocked way as it's the 'smart people' who take physics.

So I am really stuck on what combination to choose. My teacher also suggested I take further maths (but then again she's a maths teacher) as she says that uni will prioritise those who have taken further maths (for certain degrees) as it will make the course easier to handle.

I have had this dilemma since I finished my GCSEs. I still can't decide. What would you recommend?

While it appears somewhat numbers-heavy, I don't think economics at A-level actually has that much complex maths. Your current selection can get you into pretty much any degree you want (if I'm not mistaken), assuming you do well - and I hope you do.

If you like chemistry and maths but want to change things up, I'd keep those in and perhaps shift the other two - just because those two are versatile. But if you think you'd enjoy all these subjects, there's nothing stopping you from taking them. I'm sure you can always change one or two as well early into the year. I'd personally swap out economics for computer science and read economics books in my spare time.

Yeah, what really matters is that you enjoy them. Good luck.
Original post by Kiritsugu
While it appears somewhat numbers-heavy, I don't think economics at A-level actually has that much complex maths. Your current selection can get you into pretty much any degree you want (if I'm not mistaken), assuming you do well - and I hope you do.

If you like chemistry and maths but want to change things up, I'd keep those in and perhaps shift the other two - just because those two are versatile. But if you think you'd enjoy all these subjects, there's nothing stopping you from taking them. I'm sure you can always change one or two as well early into the year. I'd personally swap out economics for computer science and read economics books in my spare time.

Yeah, what really matters is that you enjoy them. Good luck.

Thank you... i did consider computer science a while back but i have no experience in coding and i guess it had never particularly interested me
Reply 9
Thank you so much. I am passionate about maths, chemistry and french. I have never taken economics before but i feel that a social science will be useful for me in understanding current affairs and stuff like that.

Physics is something I don't hate but I don't love it either. Also whenever I suggest to someone i might take physics they look at me in a shocked way as it's the 'smart people' who take physics.

So I am really stuck on what combination to choose. My teacher also suggested I take further maths (but then again she's a maths teacher) as she says that uni will prioritise those who have taken further maths (for certain degrees) as it will make the course easier to handle.

I have had this dilemma since I finished my GCSEs. I still can't decide. What would you recommend?

Then I would definitely recommend taking those three subjects 100%. As for your fourth…

Physics is difficult but by no means do you have to be one of the smartest people ever to take it and do well in it - it’s more about hard work, understanding concepts, working on applications and mathematical ability. Only take physics if you really like physics and have a strong interest in it, I’d recommend checking the exam board specification and seeing whether you are excited and wanting to learn more about what’s on there. I study physics, and sometimes really struggle with stuff that I’m not enjoying because I just don’t have much motivation for what I’m not interested in.

Uni will think further maths is important and somewhat necessary for a maths or physics degree. It can be helpful for chemistry and economics too, but by no means will prioritise an applicant. Further maths is my favourite subject, but you have to be very good at maths and very willing to dedicate a lot of time and effort. To get top grades, I think a natural strength in maths is pretty much essential. Only take this if you really do love maths and are talented at it.

What parts of maths do you enjoy at GCSE? Economics is quite statistics based, and is a well respected subject to have. It’s a really nice crossover between humanities and science. Perhaps again, look at the specifications. See which you are more excited for and interested in, and this is what you should go on.
Original post by lemmens
Then I would definitely recommend taking those three subjects 100%. As for your fourth…

Physics is difficult but by no means do you have to be one of the smartest people ever to take it and do well in it - it’s more about hard work, understanding concepts, working on applications and mathematical ability. Only take physics if you really like physics and have a strong interest in it, I’d recommend checking the exam board specification and seeing whether you are excited and wanting to learn more about what’s on there. I study physics, and sometimes really struggle with stuff that I’m not enjoying because I just don’t have much motivation for what I’m not interested in.

Uni will think further maths is important and somewhat necessary for a maths or physics degree. It can be helpful for chemistry and economics too, but by no means will prioritise an applicant. Further maths is my favourite subject, but you have to be very good at maths and very willing to dedicate a lot of time and effort. To get top grades, I think a natural strength in maths is pretty much essential. Only take this if you really do love maths and are talented at it.

What parts of maths do you enjoy at GCSE? Economics is quite statistics based, and is a well respected subject to have. It’s a really nice crossover between humanities and science. Perhaps again, look at the specifications. See which you are more excited for and interested in, and this is what you should go on.

I have always found maths quite straightforward at gcse maths and french were my favourite subjects. I prefer pure maths like calculus I also like quadratic equations/ graphs (I'm not sure what type of maths that is) however I do also like the statistics side.

The reason for wanting to take economics is, like you said, it is a good crossover. I enjoyed humanities and science at gcse and also econ could force me to become more aware of current affairs which is something i need to improve on.

I don't have a strong interest in physics. There are some topics I enjoy (such as space, radiation, forces) and others i find boring (such as energy) and despite enjoying magnetism, it was the topic i found hardest to wrap my head around at GCSE

That said, i will have a look more into the specifications of both physics and economics like you said. Hopefully I can then make a decision Thank you so much for your advice .
I have always found maths quite straightforward at gcse maths and french were my favourite subjects. I prefer pure maths like calculus I also like quadratic equations/ graphs (I'm not sure what type of maths that is) however I do also like the statistics side.

The reason for wanting to take economics is, like you said, it is a good crossover. I enjoyed humanities and science at gcse and also econ could force me to become more aware of current affairs which is something i need to improve on.

I don't have a strong interest in physics. There are some topics I enjoy (such as space, radiation, forces) and others i find boring (such as energy) and despite enjoying magnetism, it was the topic i found hardest to wrap my head around at GCSE

That said, i will have a look more into the specifications of both physics and economics like you said. Hopefully I can then make a decision Thank you so much for your advice .

Judging from what you’ve said, econ sounds like a good subject for you at a-level and maybe even degree as the areas of maths you’re interested in overlap and it sounds like something you’d enjoy.

I’m sure you’ll be able to, and it’ll work out okay in the end. Anytime, I’m happy to have helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest