The Student Room Group

Do you prefer to say HIGH SCHOOL or SECONDARY SCHOOL?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SlightlySummer
Secondary, which is more common in England

not in Manchester...
Original post by aadelinamason
not to mention they kinda can't spell. I mean 'color'? C'mon dude!

Well, why do we Britt's add in silent letters?? You don't pronounce it as "Colour".. So why add the "U"??
high school - its quicker and cooler to say than sEcOndarY
7-11 is secondary in my mind, because it follows on from primary. However I'd call my local school a high school because it's a 3 tier system, with first school (reception-4), middle school (5-7) and high school (8-11).
Original post by Zain_Ahmed
Well, why do we Britt's add in silent letters?? You don't pronounce it as "Colour".. So why add the "U"??

hmm true, but its pronounced cul-ur, so why the 'o'?
hmm true, but its pronounced cul-ur, so why the 'o'?

also true.. :eek4:
Original post by RazzzBerries
The name of my school is "___________ high school", so I've always called it "high school". :dontknow:

I've called it secondary school when I have to explain to family members in foreign countries or older relatives who go by the US system.

Sometimes I'll say "secondary" though. It's a mix really.

exactly the same as me, i go to a gdst school tho so my school is ______ high school too
Primary and Secondary Education - hence Primary and Secondary Schools.
Reply 28
Use em interchangeably. I went to a 'high school', so it's normal to me
Reply 29
Original post by Zain_Ahmed

Have you heard of a thing called 'etymology'?
Where I live we used to have primary, middle and high schools, so calling them "secondary schools" wouldn't have made sense because it's not the second school, it's the third one if that makes sense.

Nowadays they've got rid of all the local middle schools so I suppose they're technically secondary schools, but I still say "high school" because most schools (including the one I went to) kept that name. I don't understand why people say it's an American thing because they've always been "high schools" in my area.
High school.

I am allowed the liberty since I went to an American school.
My school was literally called Kingsbury High School and it was in London? so obviously high school.
Secondary school. I don't know of any "high schools" in my borough.
secondary. never high school - it makes me cringe.
Original post by gjd800
Have you heard of a thing called 'etymology'?

Yes I have.
All I am saying is that most people will agree, the spelling and pronunciation of the English language can be rather frustrating sometimes.
And also, etymology is the change in meaning, not pronunciation.
Reply 36
Yes I have.
All I am saying is that most people will agree, the spelling and pronunciation of the English language can be rather frustrating sometimes.
And also, etymology is the change in meaning, not pronunciation.

No, etymology is the history of the word as well as the development in meaning. The historical origins show you why there is a 'u'.

Also, I wasn't even talking to you, so pipe down
high school bc i'm not british
Original post by gjd800
No, etymology is the history of the word as well as the development in meaning. The historical origins show you why there is a 'u'.

Also, I wasn't even talking to you, so pipe down

But you were talking to me... You replied to my comment....
..................................................................................................
Reply 39
But you were talking to me... You replied to my comment....
..................................................................................................

not unless your name is Zain Ahmed

Quick Reply

Latest