The Student Room Group

URGENT-Help Please

Hello everyone I'm doing history. I received offers from Sussex (ABB), QMUL (unconditional after interview), Birmingham (ABB) and RHUL (unconditional) earlier in the year and firmed RHUL.

I just received BBC in Biology, History and Maths and was hugely surprised at the number of people who got into their choice despite having 2 or three lower grades and rang up both Sussex and QMUL for clearing as I'm conflicted as to where to go now that I feel more independent. They both gave me clearing/adjustment offers so now I'm torn between RHUL, Sussex and QMUL, which do I choose?

I care about graduate prospects a lot (but am also looking to do a graduate degree after if I do well), I care about the nightlife and I care about the quality of tutors (QMUL seemed to have good and very qualified tutors but I'm not sure how often I would see them as it is a much bigger university than RHUL.
Reply 1
Original post by Goateee32
Hello everyone I'm doing history. I received offers from Sussex (ABB), QMUL (unconditional after interview), Birmingham (ABB) and RHUL (unconditional) earlier in the year and firmed RHUL.

I just received BBC in Biology, History and Maths and was hugely surprised at the number of people who got into their choice despite having 2 or three lower grades and rang up both Sussex and QMUL for clearing as I'm conflicted as to where to go now that I feel more independent. They both gave me clearing/adjustment offers so now I'm torn between RHUL, Sussex and QMUL, which do I choose?

I care about graduate prospects a lot (but am also looking to do a graduate degree after if I do well), I care about the nightlife and I care about the quality of tutors (QMUL seemed to have good and very qualified tutors but I'm not sure how often I would see them as it is a much bigger university than RHUL.

Hey!

Firstly, congratulations on getting your results :smile:

Can I double check that you have gotten into RHUL? What has made you change your mind from RHUL since when you received your grades, or did this happen before you received your grades? Is there anything in particular that has made you want to go to either Sussex or QMUL instead? Sorry for all the questions!

It's important that you think about what uni you feel you would be happy to live at for three years, and what uni has the course that would interest you the most. Quality of teaching can be assessed by NUS scores, and nightlife by checking out what other students have said about it on TSR - but it's about how you feel about that uni which is the most important thing. What do you think?

Strawberry :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by StrawberryDreams
Hey!

Firstly, congratulations on getting your results :smile:

Can I double check that you have gotten into RHUL? What has made you change your mind from RHUL since when you received your grades, or did this happen before you received your grades? Is there anything in particular that has made you want to go to either Sussex or QMUL instead? Sorry for all the questions!

It's important that you think about what uni you feel you would be happy to live at for three years, and what uni has the course that would interest you the most. Quality of teaching can be assessed by NUS scores, and nightlife by checking out what other students have said about it on TSR - but it's about how you feel about that uni which is the most important thing. What do you think?

Strawberry :smile:

Thank you and thanks for helping!

The main reason I have considered switching is that I've become much more independent over the summer and as I mainly chose RHUL for it's tighter more open community and ease of access to places, I no longer feel that these aspects are as important anymore as oppose to quality of tutors. The most important thing for me is probably the quality of tutors
:smile:

Hello,
Congratulations on your results! At Queen Mary you will be allocated an academic advisor for both pastoral and academic support. There are also office hours where you can have personal contact with academics and you will have contact time during seminars and tutorials.
Hope you make the right choice :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hello,
Congratulations on your results! At Queen Mary you will be allocated an academic advisor for both pastoral and academic support. There are also office hours where you can have personal contact with academics and you will have contact time during seminars and tutorials.
Hope you make the right choice :smile:

Thank you. :smile: Do you know how much contact time you get with academic staff per week?
Thank you and thanks for helping!

The main reason I have considered switching is that I've become much more independent over the summer and as I mainly chose RHUL for it's tighter more open community and ease of access to places, I no longer feel that these aspects are as important anymore as oppose to quality of tutors. The most important thing for me is probably the quality of tutors
:smile:

Hey!

Becoming more independent is a great thing, and I'm sure that all Universities you're considering will give you a sense of independence because University tends to do that for you!

In terms of quality of the tutors, what metrics are you most interested in for this? I just ask as you can assess the quality of the teaching through the NUS scores from current and previous students to give you a good idea of this. Tutors themselves can be a tricky one, and it may be best to check the Universities department pages to see the areas of research the tutors focus on to see if this matches with anything you're interested in. It's then up to looking at different rankings and how each University fits into the ones you are most interested in.

I'd always say the quality of teaching is important, but make sure the course material and structure is exactly what you want too - otherwise it doesn't matter how much of a good tutor you have, if you don't enjoy the course it won't matter!

Good luck, I'm here to help if you have any other questions :smile:

Strawberry
Thank you. :smile: Do you know how much contact time you get with academic staff per week?

Hi,
So for each module you'll usually receive 2 hours of weekly contact time- 1 hour lecture and 1 hour seminar. For every hour spent in class, 2-3 hours of independent study is expected. I hope this answered your question :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending