The Student Room Group

Did not finish my exam....

I just wrote a 2 part exam today for a equity
Original post by Whyishehere
I just wrote a 2 part exam today for a equity

Hey, sorry you've not had any responses to this yet - just giving it a quick bump, so hopefully someone will be along soon :biggrin:

Can I ask what your specific question is here? @Labrador99 might be able to help out :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by shadowdweller
Hey, sorry you've not had any responses to this yet - just giving it a quick bump, so hopefully someone will be along soon :biggrin:

Can I ask what your specific question is here? @Labrador99 might be able to help out :smile:

Essentially I had to write a seen equity exam which contained 2 parts to it. The first part of the exam assessed the 3 certainties of a trust and the second part of the exam assessed charitable trusts. I managed to complete the first part of the exam, but did not complete the second part of the exam due to lack of time. So in the part that I had missed, I managed to quickly write a few bullet points to demonstrate that I did have knowledge on the particular topic.

My question is: considering that I haven’t thoroughly answered the second part of the exam, would it be illogical of me to be expecting a 2.1? Or would I only receive a third or a 2.2?
Essentially I had to write a seen equity exam which contained 2 parts to it. The first part of the exam assessed the 3 certainties of a trust and the second part of the exam assessed charitable trusts. I managed to complete the first part of the exam, but did not complete the second part of the exam due to lack of time. So in the part that I had missed, I managed to quickly write a few bullet points to demonstrate that I did have knowledge on the particular topic.

My question is: considering that I haven’t thoroughly answered the second part of the exam, would it be illogical of me to be expecting a 2.1? Or would I only receive a third or a 2.2?

On that particular exam, or overall? The latter it really depends on how you've done in other exams and modules. For the former, it will depend on how many marks you get for the first part, and how much credit you get for the bullet points.

Sorry I can't give you a more specific answer :colondollar:

What subject area is this in?
Reply 5
Original post by Labrador99
What subject area is this in?

The first part was about the 3 certainties in a trust. The second part was about charitable interests.
The first part was about the 3 certainties in a trust. The second part was about charitable interests.

What course/qualification are you studying?
Reply 7
Original post by Labrador99
What course/qualification are you studying?

Law. Are all these specifications relevant?

Normally you suffer greatly when you miss questions. We don't know how much you've done in answer to part 2, so we can't tell you anything precise. It is at least good you added bulletpoints and allowed the marker to see where you were going.

You have to make sure in future to make time for each question.
Law. Are all these specifications relevant?

Was just so I could move it to the relevant forum :smile:
I'd expect a 2.2. Its all dependent on how well you actually answered question 1. While jotting bullet points gives the marker an idea of what you were thinking, the fact you didnt write any part of an answer to question 2 shows a clear lack of time management. Quoting from my tutors, they say its actually better to write two part answers than answer 1 full and miss out the other.

Obviously it depends on your university's mark scheme but, typically, I would think that a bullet-point answer would score no more than about 25. The only mark-scheme I have to hand (an old UCL one) states that such an answer is worth about 15, provided that the bullet-points actually show that you did know something about the topic. Assuming that the extra time you spent on the first part paid off in a strong first class answer (say 75), then, if the parts were equally weighted, you would get 50% for scores of 75 and 25 on each part. Unless your university is incredibly generous when it comes to fragmentary bullet-point style answers (or the parts weren't equally weighted), there is no real prospect of you getting a 2:1.
It would be virtually impossible to achieve a 2:1 grade imo. It was a seen exam so the examiner would expect you to have planned the timing of your answers in advance. Bullet points will get you some credit but, having had the question in advance, you are not going to be able to impress the examiner with minimal responses. I would prepare yourself for a low grade I'm afraid. Sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending