The Student Room Group

bike lock for carrera valour

£275 pound bike, I heard you should spend 10% of bike price on a lock , can anyone suggest me one to keep my bike secure in the city

Scroll to see replies

anyone got a clue ?
Original post by dontevenknow2
£275 pound bike, I heard you should spend 10% of bike price on a lock , can anyone suggest me one to keep my bike secure in the city

U-locks are generally the best ones. Try and find a decently rated one off amazon.

Also when locking the bike, take the wheels off, via quick release, and thread the lock through the wheels and the frame to a post. (Unless you buy a U-lock which comes with a cable)
(edited 4 years ago)
how do i do the quick release? and is amazon the best place do you think?
how do i do the quick release? and is amazon the best place do you think?

Amazon has everything lol, unless you have an Evans Cycles or Cycles Direct near you.

I assumed you have quick release, looks like this:

Reply 5

In addition to RoyalSheepy's comment: if the seat is valuable, then take it with you.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Amazon has everything lol, unless you have an Evans Cycles or Cycles Direct near you.

I assumed you have quick release, looks like this:

I just checked my bike and turns out I do have this, What is it and how can I use it?

Also what bike lock do you recommend, should a £32 bike lock be too much since I dont have much money at the moment
Reply 7
I just checked my bike and turns out I do have this, What is it and how can I use it?

Also what bike lock do you recommend, should a £32 bike lock be too much since I dont have much money at the moment

What is more affordable, a £32 lock to keep your bike secure, or a cheaper lock, having your bike stolen and then having to replace the bike? Note, nothing is foolproof, if they want it, they will get it.
But I want to make sure I get the right one, anyone got any idea? The area I live in doesn't have too much crime as It is not too busy, (south east england)
But I want to make sure I get the right one, anyone got any idea? The area I live in doesn't have too much crime as It is not too busy, (south east england)

I bought a saracen tufftrax a month ago and I was in your boots too. I bought a Kyrptonite mini 7 lock with secure cable from halfords for £32. Its pretty heavy but strong and it's a double bolted d lock which means that you'll have to cut it from both sides to get it off.
I lock it to a rack by putting the d lock through my frame (not the seat post) and the rack.

Then I take the cable and run it through my front tyre then put one loop through the other then take the cable and put it through my rear tyre finishing the cable inside the d lock. It's a bit hard to explain but next time I'm out (either today or tomorrow) I'll take a pic and show you.

The lock I bought also has theft protection upto £1500 but I haven't been able to check that out yet because halfords lost my receipt when I returned something.

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by classic3296
I bought a saracen tufftrax a month ago and I was in your boots too. I bought a Kyrptonite mini 7 lock with secure cable from halfords for £32. Its pretty heavy but strong and it's a double bolted d lock which means that you'll have to cut it from both sides to get it off.
I lock it to a rack by putting the d lock through my frame (not the seat post) and the rack.

Then I take the cable and run it through my front tyre then put one loop through the other then take the cable and put it through my rear tyre finishing the cable inside the d lock. It's a bit hard to explain but next time I'm out (either today or tomorrow) I'll take a pic and show you.

The lock I bought also has theft protection upto £1500 but I haven't been able to check that out yet because halfords lost my receipt when I returned something.

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151

Thank you, I will wait for your update

If it's a safe lock, then it'd be worth the money.

You just lift the lever and unscrew it from the bolt on the other side. Putting it back on is the reverse. Make sure when you put the quick release back on, you don't tighten it too much otherwise you'll end up breaking the frame when pushing the lever; and make sure you have the small springs put back in their place.
so does quick release mean they cannot take the bike ?
so does quick release mean they cannot take the bike ?

usually on a non quick release bike itll have bols + nits which are used to secure a bike wheel to the fork. This is fine and all but gets annoying when you need to take your bike in the car and have ti remove your wheel everytime and can damage the wheel by unbolting and tightening every time.

Quick release is basically a way to take the tyre off very easily. It's a little skewer which goes through the centre of the rim and locks by you twisting the handle and pushing it down firmly. It's a lot easier to remove the tyre now as you just have to loosen the lever and pull the skewer out.
Looks like thisWheel-Removal-6-Lever-Resistance-compressed.jpg.jpeg
I dont want to remove the tire though , I just want to keep my bike secure
Thank you, I will wait for your update

Ok so the place j went to didn't have a regular bike rack but I'll show you what I did. In this case I couldn't lock the frame to the rack because the lamppost was way too thick. So I locked the back tire to the frame using the d lock, then looped the cable through the front tyre and around the post back into the lock. Not the best but it kinda shows you how you would lock the bike.

20190823_122327-compressed.jpg.jpeg
20190823_122335-compressed.jpg.jpeg
20190823_122343-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Thank you very much, but is your bike actaully attached to the pole?

and what kind of lock is that? I am thinking of getting this . https://www.tredz.co.uk/.OnGuard-Pitbull-DT-Shackle-U-Lock-Plus-Cable-Gold-Sold-Secure_61144.htm
Thank you very much, but is your bike actaully attached to the pole?

and what kind of lock is that? I am thinking of getting this . https://www.tredz.co.uk/.OnGuard-Pitbull-DT-Shackle-U-Lock-Plus-Cable-Gold-Sold-Secure_61144.htm

Sorry for not replying earlier I never saw the reply

This is my lock and the main things I looked for was a double bolt mechanism (this means that both sides of the d lock are locked so a thief would have to cut through both sides to take your bike) and that it had the cable.

[url]https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you , did you a take a look at the link I sent you? How do you think that would do, I see you also have a carrera!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending