The Student Room Group

•° All Things Horror Movies/TV/Books 💀🔪 °•

Hey, so if you haven't guessed already by the title this is our little corner of the internet to chat about all things horror/Si-Fi.

If you are anything like me and spend the majority of your time binge watching franchises, true crime and anything that dives into the occult (instead of studying for school 😐) then why not take a minute to give your opinion:

- recommendations
- plot/character analysis
- underated Movies/Shows/Books etc.
- anticipated series
- I've run out of ideas, just any means for you to express your interest in horror genre that you may not get to anywhere else because people might start to think you are a little warped, just me?... Ok.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can give you loads of Horror movie recommendations. I'm such an avid fan of horror related material myself lol.

Hush

Gerald's Game

The Boy

The Ritual

The Babysitter

The Open House

47 metres down

Sinister

Cabin in the Woods

Insidious
Original post by Strelzo
I can give you loads of Horror movie recommendations. I'm such an avid fan of horror related material myself lol.

Hush

Gerald's Game

The Boy

The Ritual

The Babysitter

The Open House

47 metres down

Sinister

Cabin in the Woods

Insidious

Thank you for your recommendation 😊 Is Gerald's Game based on a Stephen King novel or am I mistaken?
Reply 3
Original post by abbynotabigail02
Thank you for your recommendation 😊 Is Gerald's Game based on a Stephen King novel or am I mistaken?

You are correct :woo:
Ok, Thanks 😊
Reply 5
Ok, Thanks 😊

No problem :smile:
I love horror movies, TV series and books, probably my favourite genre! I have so many recommendations (you'll have seen/read some before I'm sure) so brace yourself lmao

Film: Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Scream, The Exorcist, Zodiac, Jaws, Poltergeist, The Evil Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Thing, The Omen, Psycho, The Lost Boys. The Silence of the Lambs is my favourite film of all time, it's more of psychological thriller but SO good. As you can tell I prefer the classic stuff to more modern films but there are some recent horror movies out there that are worth a watch.

I don't tend to read many horror books but I'm obsessed with true crime. Apart from that the Hannibal Lecter series by Thomas Harris is great - Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal and Hannibal Rising. So well written. There's a few book versions of horror films/TV shows that I'd recommend too - Mindhunter, The Exorcist, Zodiac.

TV series: Mindhunter (favourite ever, could talk about it all day), Hannibal, Scream, American Horror Story (the first season mainly), Bates Motel.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Strelzo

Hush

Gerald's Game

The Boy

The Ritual

The Babysitter

The Open House

47 metres down

Sinister

Cabin in the Woods

Insidious

47 meters down is a horror movie? :lol:

--------------
Orphan and the ring are really good, watch The Descent if you want to be freaked out for all eternity
Reply 8
Original post by CoolCavy

--------------
Orphan and the ring are really good, watch The Descent if you want to be freaked out for all eternity

Yeah, that's one of the genres listed (although it is more a thriller movie lol).
Original post by Strelzo
Yeah, that's one of the genres listed (although it is more a thriller movie lol).

Hm ok, i dont really think it's a horror movie but each to their own :smile:
Reply 10
Strongly recommend American Horror Story (Asylum is the best season in my opinion)
Original post by bones-mccoy
I love horror movies, TV series and books, probably my favourite genre! I have so many recommendations (you'll have seen/read some before I'm sure) so brace yourself lmao

Film: Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Scream, The Exorcist, Zodiac, Jaws, Poltergeist, The Evil Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Thing, The Omen, Psycho, The Lost Boys. The Silence of the Lambs is my favourite film of all time, it's more of psychological thriller but SO good. As you can tell I prefer the classic stuff to more modern films but there are some recent horror movies out there that are worth a watch.

I don't tend to read many horror books but I'm obsessed with true crime. Apart from that the Hannibal Lecter series by Thomas Harris is great - Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal and Hannibal Rising. So well written. There's a few book versions of horror films/TV shows that I'd recommend too - Mindhunter, The Exorcist, Zodiac.

TV series: Mindhunter (favourite ever, could talk about it all day), Hannibal, Scream, American Horror Story (the first season mainly), Bates Motel.

Thank you so much for your suggestions, the silence of the lambs is such a great film, I watch it a least once a year 😊 I actually prefer psychological horror film to gory stuff! I love classic poetry/literature such as Edgar Allen Poe and my favourite book of all time is Dracula (the og)

--------------

I'll be sure to watch Orphan! I like the original ring but I watched the remake that came out a few years ago and wasn't that impressed, have you seen it? What did you think 😊
I'll be sure to watch Orphan! I like the original ring but I watched the remake that came out a few years ago and wasn't that impressed, have you seen it? What did you think 😊

Definitely do! It's not super scary but it is really good psychological horor
Yeh i never watch remakes really, i tried to watch the ring sequel but got bored with it. Only watch the descent if you are ready to be really scared :hide:
The ritual is quite a good film, it's sort of horror i guess
Original post by DoIce
Strongly recommend American Horror Story (Asylum is the best season in my opinion)

That's my favourite season too! I think they got a bit silly after season 2 but I enjoyed season 8 - more so for the eye-candy that is Michael Langdon 😂
Definitely do! It's not super scary but it is really good psychological horor
Yeh i never watch remakes really, i tried to watch the ring sequel but got bored with it. Only watch the descent if you are ready to be really scared :hide:
The ritual is quite a good film, it's sort of horror i guess

Great thank you! I watched the remake of It because I loved the mini series as a kid with Tim Curry and although it's very different (less of a comical horror) I still enjoyed it so the remakes aren't always had I guess 😊
Bad*... oops
Reply 17
That's my favourite season too! I think they got a bit silly after season 2 but I enjoyed season 8 - more so for the eye-candy that is Michael Langdon 😂

OH MY GOD YES, Michael was perfection! I liked the psychology of his character how he had weaknesses and to go back to the Coven cast was amazing too. I feel like rewatching AHS Asylum just to enjoy The Name game :smile:
Original post by DoIce
OH MY GOD YES, Michael was perfection! I liked the psychology of his character how he had weaknesses and to go back to the Coven cast was amazing too. I feel like rewatching AHS Asylum just to enjoy The Name game :smile:

Yes, definitely the best character story in that season, Coven wasn't a bad season either but I watched it so long ago I can't remember much, probably going to binge watch them all before the new season come out 😊
Reply 19
Yes, definitely the best character story in that season, Coven wasn't a bad season either but I watched it so long ago I can't remember much, probably going to binge watch them all before the new season come out 😊

I'm really excited for season 9 but sad there's no Sarah Paulson or Evan Peters :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest