The Student Room Group

a levels

i’ve just finished my gcses and got my results back yday; i got 5/4 in science
4 in maths
6 in eng lit and lang
3 in history
however i don’t know what alevels to pick apart from a diploma in criminology and i’m also considering business studies but i’m stuck between law, sociology and psychology. help ????
Reply 1
law and sociology are quite good if you're choosing criminology, but if you want more diversity then psychology would also help. do you have any ideas as to uni/apprenticeships or career prospects? Also, are there things you'd want to avoid i.e lots of essays or not?
Reply 2
Original post by Kayles08
law and sociology are quite good if you're choosing criminology, but if you want more diversity then psychology would also help. do you have any ideas as to uni/apprenticeships or career prospects? Also, are there things you'd want to avoid i.e lots of essays or not?

I’m not entirely sure yet as i’m stuck between either something along the lines of accounting/finance, something business related or along the lines of law and criminology etc. I don’t mind writing but i think i’d want to avoid something like the history exam as i did really bad in it and couldn’t really remember much i also found it really boring
Reply 3
Law may be your best bet if you are interested in law and criminology, Sociology is very essay heavy and has 20marks/30marks in the exam-it is easy once you know how to structure the essays but has a lot of theory and theorist names to remember so this can be challenging - however there is a criminology unit that can be studied depending on your sixth-form/college. Psychology has more of a focus on the individual and obviously the brain, plus there is some statistics work which is useful, so id choose whichever sounds the most appealing to you, try to look at what topics are offered and choose what interests you the most if you're still uncertain about your future. If you enjoy you're subjects it makes a lot of difference! :smile: does this help? I studied law and sociology so if you have any other questions let me know.
Reply 4
Law may be your best bet if you are interested in law and criminology, Sociology is very essay heavy and has 20marks/30marks in the exam-it is easy once you know how to structure the essays but has a lot of theory and theorist names to remember so this can be challenging - however there is a criminology unit that can be studied depending on your sixth-form/college. Psychology has more of a focus on the individual and obviously the brain, plus there is some statistics work which is useful, so id choose whichever sounds the most appealing to you, try to look at what topics are offered and choose what interests you the most if you're still uncertain about your future. If you enjoy you're subjects it makes a lot of difference! :smile: does this help? I studied law and sociology so if you have any other questions let me know.

thankyou so much!! Also the exams for both law and sociology, are they set out similar to how gcse questions are as in ticking boxes etc... or will it be along the lines of being asked a question and having to go into writing an explanation such as history for example. Sorry if i’m confusing and annoying you😭
I would pick up the sciences subjects, if you intend to plan a career in criminology as a forensic doctor for instance. For the business studies, mathematics should one subject of your choices.
Reply 6
Original post by Kallisto
I would pick up the sciences subjects, if you intend to plan a career in criminology as a forensic doctor for instance. For the business studies, mathematics should one subject of your choices.

The only reason i don’t want to pick maths is because i didn’t think i’d pass it even at GCSE level but somehow i did (thank god) therefore passing it at Alevels seems impossible
Reply 7
Original post by Kaps126
thankyou so much!! Also the exams for both law and sociology, are they set out similar to how gcse questions are as in ticking boxes etc... or will it be along the lines of being asked a question and having to go into writing an explanation such as history for example. Sorry if i’m confusing and annoying you😭

So for sociology there are no tick boxes (at least not on AQA), you would get a 6mark question, a 10 mark essay, a 20mark essay x2 and a 30mark essay, or a variety of these depending on the paper, all of which are answered in an essay style (the six marker is normally just 3 points with a brief explanation).
Law- they did change the spec since I sat it but this too was (on AQA) all essay style too with no tick-boxes, this has changed slightly though as I was in the year that did the AS and the A-Level, the law essays are not as in depth as sociology (apart from the morality section) as they are usually more to the point and about facts of a case or the case elements.

If you know the exam boards you can look at past papers to see what style you are more comfortable with.

Dont worry you're not being annoying or confusing!
Original post by Kaps126
The only reason i don’t want to pick maths is because i didn’t think i’d pass it even at GCSE level but somehow i did (thank god) therefore passing it at Alevels seems impossible

For job fields in medicine, sciences are a must have for you, they teaching you the basics. If you are even bad at those, I would rethink your career again.
Reply 9
So for sociology there are no tick boxes (at least not on AQA), you would get a 6mark question, a 10 mark essay, a 20mark essay x2 and a 30mark essay, or a variety of these depending on the paper, all of which are answered in an essay style (the six marker is normally just 3 points with a brief explanation).
Law- they did change the spec since I sat it but this too was (on AQA) all essay style too with no tick-boxes, this has changed slightly though as I was in the year that did the AS and the A-Level, the law essays are not as in depth as sociology (apart from the morality section) as they are usually more to the point and about facts of a case or the case elements.

If you know the exam boards you can look at past papers to see what style you are more comfortable with.

Dont worry you're not being annoying or confusing!

Thankyou so so so much honestly i appreciate it!! also one last question, looking at my gcse grades do you think i could actually pass the A level subjects i want to do as i’ve heard that it’s a big jump from gcses to a levels and i didn’t do that good in my gcses.
Reply 10
Original post by Kallisto
For job fields in medicine, sciences are a must have for you, they teaching you the basics. If you are even bad at those, I would rethink your career again.

i don’t wish to go into the medicine field?
Original post by Kaps126
Thankyou so so so much honestly i appreciate it!! also one last question, looking at my gcse grades do you think i could actually pass the A level subjects i want to do as i’ve heard that it’s a big jump from gcses to a levels and i didn’t do that good in my gcses.

Honestly, its mostly down to you as a student, my GCSE's were very average, i had one A a couple of B's and mainly C's, i also got a D, but at A-Level i chose subjects that played to my strengths (being essay writing and theory work) and revised A LOT, and i got A*A*A, if there is something you're passionate about or really interested in follow that route. It is a lot of work to do well at A-Level but it is not impossible-you have to do a lot of independent study alongside your lessons and your teachers. Also dont be afraid to ask questions and tell your teachers if you dont understand, it will really benefit you.
Reply 12
Honestly, its mostly down to you as a student, my GCSE's were very average, i had one A a couple of B's and mainly C's, i also got a D, but at A-Level i chose subjects that played to my strengths (being essay writing and theory work) and revised A LOT, and i got A*A*A, if there is something you're passionate about or really interested in follow that route. It is a lot of work to do well at A-Level but it is not impossible-you have to do a lot of independent study alongside your lessons and your teachers. Also dont be afraid to ask questions and tell your teachers if you dont understand, it will really benefit you.

okay thankyou so much for your advice and help!
Original post by Kaps126
okay thankyou so much for your advice and help!

No problem! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest