The Student Room Group

Ofsted ‘Outstanding’ vs Ofsted ‘Good’? Not as easy as it sounds..

Hello TSR Community!

I've just got my GCSE results, and I am in a dilemma in which Sixth Form college to go to. I have the choice to go to either Hollyfield Sixth Form or Godalming College. However, there are certain problems I am facing with each of them.

Hollyfield Sixth Form
Pros:
1. Literally a 3-minute walk from my house.
2.Choice of Subjects given: A Level CompSci, A Level Sociology and BTEC Media (equivalent to only 1 A Level)
Cons:
1. Ofsted 'Good' Rated.
2. BTEC Media only equivalent to 1 A Level.
3. A small school.

Godalming College
Pros:
1. Ofsted 'Outstanding' Rated.
2. Choice of Subjects: A Level CompSci, A Level Economics and BTEC Level 3 Creative Digital Media (equivalent to 2 A Levels).
3. More focused at Year 12 and 13 (since its a college).
Cons:
1. Almost 1.5hours worth of travel time each way (3 hours of travel time a day).
2. Large cohort: so no focused attention.

Both offer Oxbridge training, and similar choice of subjects. However, is it worth going 3 hours a day to an Ofsted 'Outstanding' college, or is 'Good' good enough?
my school has been rated outstanding and good, but can honestly say i never say what had changed for the rating to change (you cant get an outstanding if results have dropped, i cant remember the exact criteria but thats a large reason a lot of schools are only 'good').
id say choose where feels right, have you been to open days? where did you feel more comfortable, which seemed more engaging, do you really think you want to be travelling for 3 hours a day?
i wouldn't say an ofsted rating should be a top priority, focus on you and your preferences more
Oxbridge training isn't really relevant since you're doing a subject combination that limits your opportunity to go there.

But a three hour commute is a bit of a drag when it comes to revision and whatnot.
Original post by theauricmitra
Hello TSR Community!

I've just got my GCSE results, and I am in a dilemma in which Sixth Form college to go to. I have the choice to go to either Hollyfield Sixth Form or Godalming College. However, there are certain problems I am facing with each of them.

Hollyfield Sixth Form
Pros:
2.Choice of Subjects given: A Level CompSci, A Level Sociology and BTEC Media (equivalent to only 1 A Level)
Cons:
1. Ofsted 'Good' Rated.
3. A small school.

Godalming College
Pros:
2. Choice of Subjects: A Level CompSci, A Level Economics and BTEC Level 3 Creative Digital Media (equivalent to 2 A Levels).
Cons:
1. Almost 1.5hours worth of travel time each way (3 hours of travel time a day).

Both offer Oxbridge training, and similar choice of subjects. However, is it worth going 3 hours a day to an Ofsted 'Outstanding' college, or is 'Good' good enough?

I travelled about 1.5 hours to school every day and I found that with careful planning I was able to do loads of revision. Godalming College would be the easy choice for me. :smile:
Original post by theauricmitra
Hello TSR Community!

Hollyfield Sixth Form
Pros:
Cons:
1. Ofsted 'Good' Rated.
3. A small school.

Godalming College
Pros:
Cons:

Why are you re-posting this? The answer is still the same - go local. The outstanding report is so long ago and before September 2012 so was judged on a completely different basis. [Pupil progress was not part of the judgement and that is what should be important to anyone]
How will you be commuting? I switched to a different school for sixth form and travel time to go there was often over an hour (but less when I switched mode of transport) but for me it was worth it (also outstanding, whereas my old school was good - but I didn’t choose it for this reason). I tried to revise while travelling but this may be harder if you’re taking connections/are in a busy bus.

Also, do you significantly prefer the subjects at the college? Otherwise, I’d personally go for the local sixth form. The atmosphere of where you go also matters. I only travelled so far for sixth form because I preferred the atmosphere and subjects way way more than I would in my town.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending