The Student Room Group

Tips/advice for A-Levels?

So I’m going into yr12 next week and wanted some advice for this year. I’ve heard the general advice of keeping on top of work, working in my frees, ask for help straight away and complete homework as soon as possible.
But I’d really appreciate advice for my specific subjects: maths, geography and rs (all with Edexcel). So if anyone has done those subjects (especially geography and rs) I’d really appreciate any words of wisdom.
Thank you
hi there, im 1 yr above and i did re and maths too
For maths, I'd suggest you to make all your notes and examples really neat and to practice. Not like every day but like once a week, covering certain topics. Make sure you revisit any old topics so u eventually master it all. Practice is the key for a level maths. Use the maths spec wisely to ur advantage and before ur ucas exams start doing past papers for AS and yr1 maths papers.
For RS, you can chill. Learn the theory and be able to apply it easily into different situations. Learn your terminology and keep ur philosophy, ethics and christian deontology sections seperated into dif folders so its easier to use when revising. Learn bible quotes every two weeks for the dif subjects in christian deontology and make sure u plan out all the stuff covered in philosophy and ethics and learn to critique certain theories.
Reply 2
Original post by UnknowNAlegend
hi there, im 1 yr above and i did re and maths too
For maths, I'd suggest you to make all your notes and examples really neat and to practice. Not like every day but like once a week, covering certain topics. Make sure you revisit any old topics so u eventually master it all. Practice is the key for a level maths. Use the maths spec wisely to ur advantage and before ur ucas exams start doing past papers for AS and yr1 maths papers.
For RS, you can chill. Learn the theory and be able to apply it easily into different situations. Learn your terminology and keep ur philosophy, ethics and christian deontology sections seperated into dif folders so its easier to use when revising. Learn bible quotes every two weeks for the dif subjects in christian deontology and make sure u plan out all the stuff covered in philosophy and ethics and learn to critique certain theories.

Thank you so much for this!
Original post by bleh_bleh
Thank you so much for this!

kl
Reply 4
Replying because I’m interested to know too
Original post by _Catra_
Replying because I’m interested to know too

what subjects do u do?
So I’m going into yr12 next week and wanted some advice for this year. I’ve heard the general advice of keeping on top of work, working in my frees, ask for help straight away and complete homework as soon as possible.
But I’d really appreciate advice for my specific subjects: maths, geography and rs (all with Edexcel). So if anyone has done those subjects (especially geography and rs) I’d really appreciate any words of wisdom.
Thank you

For maths edexcel, when you finish a chapter make sure you do every question you feel you need to do in the mixed exercise. I found this really useful and ended up with a 92% average in pure and 88% in stats and mechanics in AS topic tests.
Thank you

Got my maths A level this year, did Edexcel as well. Best thing is to make regular practice a habit from the start, the difficulty ramps up quite quickly and falling behind will only make it more difficult. When practising, do a spread of new and old topics, don't fall into the trap of just focusing on one area.
Reply 8
Original post by Sososnake
For maths edexcel, when you finish a chapter make sure you do every question you feel you need to do in the mixed exercise. I found this really useful and ended up with a 92% average in pure and 88% in stats and mechanics in AS topic tests.

Thank you!!
Reply 9
Original post by UnknowNAlegend
what subjects do u do?

Sorry for the late reply but I’ve chosen the same as OP so maths, geo, rs and I also am choosing physics

Quick Reply

Latest