The Student Room Group

RAF CBAT S/D/T and fuel consumption Help

Hello everyone, I recently took my CBAT test for pilot role, which I did not pass, however, I did score very close to the ‘Cutoff’ mark.

I struggled with the airborne numerical test when it came down to fuel consumption tests, which took me by surprise on the day as I have been revising my S/D/T and fuel consumption like crazy and have had no issues..

From what I remember, you have a chart that displays ‘Speed and parcel weight’ and ‘speed and fuel consumption’. The chart for fuel consumption would display something like: ‘4 miles per minute (240 mp/h) equals 9 gallons of fuel (per something, which I cannot remember)

Now to the point, if there is anyone who can remember the method they used to answer these VERY basic questions, can someone please help? Questions asked how much fuel do you burn/need for a journey if you are travelling at 4 miles per minute and a distance of X...

The equation give to help with fuel consumption was Distance/? Which I cannot remember.

If there is someone who can help by throwing questions my way, remembers more about the test and can help me with an explanation that would be really helpful.
Thank you
Ben
Original post by Ben1319
Hello everyone, I recently took my CBAT test for pilot role, which I did not pass, however, I did score very close to the ‘Cutoff’ mark.

I struggled with the airborne numerical test when it came down to fuel consumption tests, which took me by surprise on the day as I have been revising my S/D/T and fuel consumption like crazy and have had no issues..

From what I remember, you have a chart that displays ‘Speed and parcel weight’ and ‘speed and fuel consumption’. The chart for fuel consumption would display something like: ‘4 miles per minute (240 mp/h) equals 9 gallons of fuel (per something, which I cannot remember)

Now to the point, if there is anyone who can remember the method they used to answer these VERY basic questions, can someone please help? Questions asked how much fuel do you burn/need for a journey if you are travelling at 4 miles per minute and a distance of X...

The equation give to help with fuel consumption was Distance/? Which I cannot remember.

If there is someone who can help by throwing questions my way, remembers more about the test and can help me with an explanation that would be really helpful.
Thank you
Ben

What do you mean 'the method they used' there is no method, it's logic and fractions.

You just have to read the miles miles/gallons/minutes or speed/distance/time bit and work out logically how they fit together. Work out what the format of the answer is, a distance, a speed, a quantity etc, and then work out what information you need to work that out. Don't think about equations, think about operating an aircraft between A and B.

How much fuel do you burn if you are travelling at 4 miles per minute and a distance of 240 miles - well this question is obviously missing a piece of information, because you need to know the rate of fuel burn. Fuel burn is usually given in terms of a volume or weight, ie gallons/litres/kg over time ie /hr.

In an aircraft the weight of the aircraft (airframe plus load) affects the rate of fuel burn, so you might not be given a specific fuel burn, you might have to look it up on a table, having previously added the aircraft weight and load weight together.
Reply 2
Ok Ben, if you have been practicing your SDT and fuel consumption calculations like crazy then you shouldn't have much trouble with the actual math. I suspect you're trouble lies in practicing problems which are only given in a precise format, therefore there's not the deeper understanding of the underlying question but rather just how to process a given question type. Below I have presented the type of question which you describe above, differing from what you might have seen on http://www.speeddistancetime.info/fuel-test Please attempt this question using pen and paper. Don't try and apply formulas you think you know, nor look for any, just read the question and read the information given carefully, especially take note of any units that are given as they provide a crucial amount of information that people tend to forget.

Using the information given below, input the number of Gallons of fuel required to complete the journey.

Speed: 100-200mph 2 gallons per minute
Speed: 200-300mph 3 gallons per minute
Speed: 300-400mph 4 gallons per minute

Departure Time: 10:49
Arrival Time: 11:26
Speed: 150mph

Assume no adjustments are required for takeoff and landing.

Let me know how it goes so I can properly advise
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
What do you mean 'the method they used' there is no method, it's logic and fractions.

You just have to read the miles miles/gallons/minutes or speed/distance/time bit and work out logically how they fit together. Work out what the format of the answer is, a distance, a speed, a quantity etc, and then work out what information you need to work that out. Don't think about equations, think about operating an aircraft between A and B.

How much fuel do you burn if you are travelling at 4 miles per minute and a distance of 240 miles - well this question is obviously missing a piece of information, because you need to know the rate of fuel burn. Fuel burn is usually given in terms of a volume or weight, ie gallons/litres/kg over time ie /hr.

In an aircraft the weight of the aircraft (airframe plus load) affects the rate of fuel burn, so you might not be given a specific fuel burn, you might have to look it up on a table, having previously added the aircraft weight and load weight together.

Thank you for your reply. I think you have misread one a part of my discussion about fuel burn. I didn’t say about a question to do with ‘240 miles’ with a speed of 4 miles per minute. It was stating what the chart represented: 4 miles per minute=9 gallons of fuel mile (if I remember correctly.

I do apologise if I am not explaining myself clearly. Trying to remember what was part of the test.
Reply 4
Original post by WedgeAnt
Ok Ben, if you have been practicing your SDT and fuel consumption calculations like crazy then you shouldn't have much trouble with the actual math. I suspect you're trouble lies in practicing problems which are only given in a precise format, therefore there's not the deeper understanding of the underlying question but rather just how to process a given question type. Below I have presented the type of question which you describe above, differing from what you might have seen on http://www.speeddistancetime.info/fuel-test Please attempt this question using pen and paper. Don't try and apply formulas you think you know, nor look for any, just read the question and read the information given carefully, especially take note of any units that are given as they provide a crucial amount of information that people tend to forget.

Using the information given below, input the number of Gallons of fuel required to complete the journey.

Speed: 100-200mph 2 gallons per minute
Speed: 200-300mph 3 gallons per minute
Speed: 300-400mph 4 gallons per minute

Departure Time: 10:49
Arrival Time: 11:26
Speed: 150mph

Assume no adjustments are required for takeoff and landing.

Let me know how it goes so I can properly advise

Thank you for your reply.

My answers to your question are:
74 gallons for 100-200mph
111 gallons for 200-300mph
148 gallons for 300-400mph

I see that it is a 37 minute journey which I multiplied the gallons per minute by this.
Reply 5
Original post by Ben1319
Thank you for your reply.

My answers to your question are:
74 gallons for 100-200mph
111 gallons for 200-300mph
148 gallons for 300-400mph

I see that it is a 37 minute journey which I multiplied the gallons per minute by this.

Well you've got the right answer in there, but the question only has one answer and you've provided 3 - no doubt partly the format of the question to blame but you need to carefully assess what is being asked and not just what it is you can calculate.

What TPD and I are saying is roughly the same in that you need to develop a deeper understanding of what you are being asked. Your math seems fine but there is likely a disconnect in the underlying physical process. For the types of questions you'll see in CBAT it's best to work backwards when trying to understand what numbers you want to calculate. For the question I posed, you would start by acknowledging that you're asked for a total amount of fuel required (in gallons). You look at the information required, noticing you are given a fuel consumption with units of gallons per minute you now know you need to know the length of the journey in minutes. You see you have the information of the speed and the time taken for the journey thereby you can work out the speed. You notice that the fuel consumption has multiple values depending on your speed but you know the speed so you can select the right value. Now that you have the right fuel consumption value and the time taken (in minutes) you can calculate what the question asked.
Original post by Ben1319
Thank you for your reply. I think you have misread one a part of my discussion about fuel burn. I didn’t say about a question to do with ‘240 miles’ with a speed of 4 miles per minute. It was stating what the chart represented: 4 miles per minute=9 gallons of fuel mile (if I remember correctly.

I do apologise if I am not explaining myself clearly. Trying to remember what was part of the test.

I wasn't trying to answer a specific question, I was saying that the way to answer any of these questions is to think logically about what is being asked for - make sure you are clear the units the answer needs to be delivered in, then work out the units you are given in the question and rather than think in equations (though that's fine if your brain works like that, but many don't) work through logically what the aircraft is doing.
Have you got the CBAT app? The SDT Qs for the parcel ones are almost the same as in the test. It also only scores your answers if you answered within a set time limit.
Reply 8
[QUOTE="WedgeAnt;85027692"]Well you've got the right answer in there, but the question only has one answer and you've provided 3 - no doubt partly the format of the question to blame but you need to carefully assess what is being asked and not just what it is you can calculate.

What TPD and I are saying is roughly the same in that you need to develop a deeper understanding of what you are being asked. Your math seems fine but there is likely a disconnect in the underlying physical process. For the types of questions you'll see in CBAT it's best to work backwards when trying to understand what numbers you want to calculate. For the question I posed, you would start by acknowledging that you're asked for a total amount of fuel required (in gallons). You look at the information required, noticing you are given a fuel consumption with units of gallons per minute you now know you need to know the length of the journey in minutes. You see you have the information of the speed and the time taken for the journey thereby you can work out the speed. You notice that the fuel consumption has multiple values depending on your speed but you know the speed so you can select the right value. Now that you have the right fuel consumption value and the time taken (in minutes) you can calculate what the question asked.[/
Original post by NobleWizard
Have you got the CBAT app? The SDT Qs for the parcel ones are almost the same as in the test. It also only scores your answers if you answered within a set time limit.

Hello,
Yes I have the CBAT app and am scoring high on it. SDT is not the problem, it is my understanding of fuel consumption questions that I need to get my head around. I have done some practice and can see improvement :smile:
Original post by Ben1319

Thank you
Ben

I took the CBAT last year and was successful for my chosen trade. To prepare, one of the things that really helped me was an app called 'CBAT' its got loads of practice questions on, such as the one you mention here, and it explains in detail how to go about solving them.
With that said, is it possible you would consider other trade other than pilot if you passed for any others at CBAT?
Good luck in your application

Quick Reply

Latest