The Student Room Group

A Level Choice Help!

This is going to be a long ramble. Essentially in Year 12 im taking 5 A level subjects which will dro down to 4 in Year 13. I am certainly taking Maths anf Further Maths alongside Chemistry which is 3 of my options. I chose initally to take English Lit and then Latin as an AS but I'm second doubting my second doubts if that makes sense lol. I dont like 2 of the English books studied but the others do look interesting and especially as I've 1000x better than I expected in my GCSEs with nearly full marks I feel like I should take it especially as I really enjoy it.

But my subjects are quite sporadic especially as I am set on studying Maths at university. I do enjoy Latin as well and I did quite well acros my papers. Now Physics and Computer Science seem better suited to Mathd. Computer Science looks interesting but the NEA doesnt :smile:. I detest Physics at GCSE but the A Level looks alrightand I really enjoy the modules that link more closely with maths. Especially as Physics is very prominent in Maths at uni level.

I just basically need any form of advice or guidance or help. Anything. Anything really! Even opinions of what you'd do.

Thank you very much
Original post by aaaaaaa18
This is going to be a long ramble. Essentially in Year 12 im taking 5 A level subjects which will dro down to 4 in Year 13. I am certainly taking Maths anf Further Maths alongside Chemistry which is 3 of my options. I chose initally to take English Lit and then Latin as an AS but I'm second doubting my second doubts if that makes sense lol. I dont like 2 of the English books studied but the others do look interesting and especially as I've 1000x better than I expected in my GCSEs with nearly full marks I feel like I should take it especially as I really enjoy it.

But my subjects are quite sporadic especially as I am set on studying Maths at university. I do enjoy Latin as well and I did quite well acros my papers. Now Physics and Computer Science seem better suited to Mathd. Computer Science looks interesting but the NEA doesnt :smile:. I detest Physics at GCSE but the A Level looks alrightand I really enjoy the modules that link more closely with maths. Especially as Physics is very prominent in Maths at uni level.

I just basically need any form of advice or guidance or help. Anything. Anything really! Even opinions of what you'd do.

Thank you very much

Your A-level choices don't look very cohesive. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't pick Latin just to drop it in AS as not only would it give you more content to study, but most universities don't count the grade for Latin. Since you're picking Maths for uni, Physics is definitely an A-level you should go for. Computer Science isn't a necessity. Choose English lit as it would also show your strength in essay writing and make you stand out against other candidates. Chemistry works well alongside Physics and Further Maths helps your chances in getting into a good uni. Hope that helped!:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by luckykitty679
Your A-level choices don't look very cohesive. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't pick Latin just to drop it in AS as not only would it give you more content to study, but most universities don't count the grade for Latin. Since you're picking Maths for uni, Physics is definitely an A-level you should go for. Computer Science isn't a necessity. Choose English lit as it would also show your strength in essay writing and make you stand out against other candidates. Chemistry works well alongside Physics and Further Maths helps your chances in getting into a good uni. Hope that helped!:smile:

It is a requirement for me to take an AS at the school I want to go to. I really detest most of Physics apart from the Maths parts so I may be creating a detriment to my grade by picking a hard a level that I mostly have no passion for. With that being said, Ive heard that the A Level is much more interesting but I prefer Latin over Physics as of GCSE. I carry 3 full A Levels into Year 13 but Double Maths counts as one. Im defo doing Chem but I simply cant give up English for Physics its too hard :frown:
It is a requirement for me to take an AS at the school I want to go to. I really detest most of Physics apart from the Maths parts so I may be creating a detriment to my grade by picking a hard a level that I mostly have no passion for. With that being said, Ive heard that the A Level is much more interesting but I prefer Latin over Physics as of GCSE. I carry 3 full A Levels into Year 13 but Double Maths counts as one. Im defo doing Chem but I simply cant give up English for Physics its too hard :frown:

If you truly don't have a passion for Physics then don't pick for the sake of picking it. If you believe you can do better in English, then choose English. It isn't a requirement to do A-level Physics to do Maths. If you're doing Further Maths, then that should be enough. Best of luck!!!:smile:
Reply 4
If you truly don't have a passion for Physics then don't pick for the sake of picking it. If you believe you can do better in English, then choose English. It isn't a requirement to do A-level Physics to do Maths. If you're doing Further Maths, then that should be enough. Best of luck!!!:smile:

Are you taking/taken or planning on taking A Levels? With English I dont like two of the books but im sure I'll get over it. My heads all over the place at the moment. What should I do for AS? Physics? As I may end up liking it. Thank you very much for your advice :smile:
Are you taking/taken or planning on taking A Levels? With English I dont like two of the books but im sure I'll get over it. My heads all over the place at the moment. What should I do for AS? Physics? As I may end up liking it. Thank you very much for your advice :smile:

I'm taking 4 A-levels. I'm thinking of taking Biology, Psychology, Philosophy and English Language. If you don't like something at GCSE, it's hard to like it at A-level as you're studying the subject at a harder level ( trust me, I thought about taking Chemistry). I'd stick with doing 4 subjects for AS as you want the best possible grades.
Reply 6
I'm taking 4 A-levels. I'm thinking of taking Biology, Psychology, Philosophy and English Language. If you don't like something at GCSE, it's hard to like it at A-level as you're studying the subject at a harder level ( trust me, I thought about taking Chemistry). I'd stick with doing 4 subjects for AS as you want the best possible grades.

OK thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest