The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster uni minor degree??

I’m taking psychology at Lancaster this year and someone told me that you have to pick a minor to do aswell? But I’ve not been told/asked about this? Is it compulsory? If so when do I have to choose it by and how?
Any advice helpful thanks x
Original post by 3llie000
I’m taking psychology at Lancaster this year and someone told me that you have to pick a minor to do aswell? But I’ve not been told/asked about this? Is it compulsory? If so when do I have to choose it by and how?

Hello!
Each course requires you to take 120 credits in first year but some courses only offer 80 credits worth of modules. This means you have to take a minor. So if Psychology requires you to take a minor (some courses its compulsory, some optional, and some not possible), you'll be doing two thirds Psychology and one third of your other subject. In welcome week you'll get a chance to go to 'minor talks' which will introduce different minors and help you to decide. You only have to do your minor for first year (and often you just have to pass it overall to continue) but some students decide to continue on with some modules from their minor. Common choices to go with Psychology are Sociology, Criminology, Biology etc.
But please don't worry as it'll all become clear in welcome week and you don't need to decide now!
You can also change in the first few weeks.
Let me know if that's clear and if you have any questions!
Charlotte :smile:
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by 3llie000

It is clearly stated on the course webpage:

"As well as these core modules, you will also take a minor subject, which can be another science, or a subject that is selected from a different part of the University, such as a social science or management programme."
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/psychology-bsc-hons-c800/#structure
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello!
Each course requires you to take 120 credits in first year but some courses only offer 80 credits worth of modules. This means you have to take a minor. So if Psychology requires you to take a minor (some courses its compulsory, some optional, and some not possible), you'll be doing two thirds Psychology and one third of your other subject. In welcome week you'll get a chance to go to 'minor talks' which will introduce different minors and help you to decide. You only have to do your minor for first year (and often you just have to pass it overall to continue) but some students decide to continue on with some modules from their minor. Common choices to go with Psychology are Sociology, Criminology, Biology etc.
But please don't worry as it'll all become clear in welcome week and you don't need to decide now!
You can also change in the first few weeks.
Let me know if that's clear and if you have any questions!
Charlotte :smile:
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine

Thank you so much that’s really helpful! Xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending