The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Biology 2019-20

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bsb2392
Wanting to do my project with bacteria but I have no idea what to research.

Hey, I did mine on investigating the effects of antimicrobials (various spices) on bacterial growth. I found this project really interesting and was able to link it well the biological significance due to the rising antibiotic resistance. The underlying biology also does not have to all link to the course it just has to be the same level so that allows much more information! I ended up with an A this year and am going on to study medicine so am happy to answer any questions on the project or course. Good Luck!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by bulbasaur55
Hey everyone, can you all recommend me the best textbook for ADH biology this year, preferably with updated content?

The bright red books are by far the best for Advanced Higher and are a good aid to get your head around some of the wordier topics!
Original post by bsb2392
Wanting to do my project with bacteria but I have no idea what to research.

Bacteria from what my teacher said is an awful idea. Hard to control, and easy to mess up due to human error. I am doing enzyme activity and heavy ions, easy ~17 marks.
Original post by Coderemove
Bacteria from what my teacher said is an awful idea. Hard to control, and easy to mess up due to human error. I am doing enzyme activity and heavy ions, easy ~17 marks.

I already have done a biology project on bacteria this summer at the St Andrews university and I don't think its hard, however I also did some enzyme experiments and they failed 3 times.

my teacher says enzymes are a bad idea for project as they are easily denatured and fail a lot.
Original post by Katelouisa
Hey, I did mine on investigating the effects of antimicrobials (various spices) on bacterial growth. I found this project really interesting and was able to link it well the biological significance due to the rising antibiotic resistance. The underlying biology also does not have to all link to the course it just has to be the same level so that allows much more information! I ended up with an A this year and am going on to study medicine so am happy to answer any questions on the project or course. Good Luck!

Thank you so much for the idea. If I have questions I will be in touch with you.:smile:
If anyone is interested in doing an animal behaviour based project, applications to do it at Edinburgh Zoo or the Highland Wildlife Park close on Monday, so make sure you get your applications in! :smile:

https://www.rzss.org.uk/rzss-education/advanced-higher-biology-investigations/
Reply 26
Original post by S_x_x
Hey guys, I done the Advanced Higher Biology Course and got an A this year and got into Medicine. If you have any questions, please ask!

Hey! what subjects did u do for medicine and what grades did u get?
Reply 27
Original post by CharG3
Hey! what subjects did u do for medicine and what grades did u get?

Hey, I done:
Advanced Higher Biology - Grade A
Advanced Higher Chemistry - Grade A
Higher Business Management - Grade A
Reply 28
Original post by S_x_x
Hey, I done:

wow what about any highers?
Lucky
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by CharG3
wow what about any highers?

Hey, I got:

Higher Chemistry - Grade A
Higher Human Biology - Grade A
Higher Mathematics - Grade A
Higher Computing Science - Grade A
Higher English - Grade A
Original post by S_x_x
Hey, I done:

Hi! I was wondering what you did your project on, and if you would recommend other people to do it?
Reply 32
Original post by bulbasaur55
Hi! I was wondering what you did your project on, and if you would recommend other people to do it?

Hey, I done ‘the effect of competitive and non competitive inhibition of the enzyme Beta- Galactosidase’, id definitely recommend it, it’s a really interesting investigation that is simple (but not too simple!) and allows for plenty of discussion!
Original post by S_x_x
Hey guys, I done the Advanced Higher Biology Course and got an A this year and got into Medicine. If you have any questions, please ask!

What did you do for your AH biology project and how did you score? Do you still have a copy?
Reply 34
Original post by islaamcallister
What did you do for your AH biology project and how did you score? Do you still have a copy?

I don’t know what I got exactly for the project, but I got an A, sorry :frown:
Original post by S_x_x
Hey, I got:

Higher Chemistry - Grade A
Higher Human Biology - Grade A
Higher Mathematics - Grade A
Higher Computing Science - Grade A
Higher English - Grade A

Slightly unrelated but what did you do your Chemistry project on and what do you think the main things that helped you get your A's in Bio and Chem were? I'm doing those two along with Physics this year hoping to do Medicine but it seems to me as though getting the grades for the offer might be hard, particularly as I'm really struggling to get decent results with my projects currently.

Your advice is appreciated!
Reply 36
Original post by Andrew.Macleod7
Slightly unrelated but what did you do your Chemistry project on and what do you think the main things that helped you get your A's in Bio and Chem were? I'm doing those two along with Physics this year hoping to do Medicine but it seems to me as though getting the grades for the offer might be hard, particularly as I'm really struggling to get decent results with my projects currently.

Your advice is appreciated!

Hey,
My chemistry project was on the synthesis and analysis of potassium trioxalatoferrate, which I found really interesting because it combined several different techniques taught at advanced higher, such as pressure filtration etc. I was lucky enough to have scored the second highest project in my year! My advice for chemistry is to ensure that you have a firm grasp of all the knowledge and key areas. The best was to learn is through ‘active recall’, so doing past papers is the best way. I’d recommend the model paper hodder Gibson book too, which has some practice papers. The advanced chemistry papers go all the way back to 2005 and are relevant to the current course. I’d also make sure you do a little key area regularly, as this will make things a lot more easy when it comes to exam time! SCHOLAR can be useful, but honestly I used it occasionally as i feel it didn’t benefit me as much.

For biology, the theory has to be learnt. For both biology and chemistry, I’d HIGHLY recommend the brightRED publishing study guides, as these explain concepts in a clear and consistent way, I know the advanced higher biology study guide has just been updated too. What I did was, sounds silly, but make up essay questions for EVERY topic in the biology course and then answered them. When I marked them using the SQA notes and the bright red book, I noted any points I missed out. The SQA notes are the best for biology too, since the essay marking scheme is extracted from these! For data questions, make sure your answers always are: relevant, use data, and explain the data.

And also, since your doing 3 advanced highers, all Scottish unis will want BBB at AH, (BB for Edinburgh), so please don’t feel too pressured into having to achieve an A. I chose to do 2 AH and 1 H, which didn’t work in my favour as I had to get AB in AH and a B in H for Glasgow! So choosing 3 AH already puts you at a nice place for meeting the condition.

Working hard and consistently throughout the year is the key to success at advanced higher. Don’t take the project too lightly either, it can make or break a conditional offer being met!

Best of luck!
I need ideas on what project to do and how to carry out the investigation
Hi I was thinking of doing the effect of caffeine on reaction time but I’m not sure if it’s suitable. Do u think this would be ok and would be of an adv higher level ???
Original post by harryconnor1
Hi I was thinking of doing the effect of caffeine on reaction time but I’m not sure if it’s suitable. Do u think this would be ok and would be of an adv higher level ???

Yeh that's a good one but the is hard to keep the human variables the same

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending