The Student Room Group

Is it too late to apply for 2019? Do I need a PGCE?

I was looking on the PGCE application website for secondary courses in physics. There were still a few vacancies listed on there. Could anyone tell me when the application deadline is? The UCAS website says there is a deadline on 6th September... do I need to apply through UCAS by that date?

I was mainly interested in Nottingham, Exeter or Bristol but have I missed the boat with these?

To be honest I am very confused about applying for teaching and I was wondering if anyone could clear a couple of things up for me, namely:

1. Is a teaching qualification necessary in order to teach? I've been told by a few people that there are a lot of unqualified teachers... but then what is the point in the PGCE?

2. Is a PGCE necessary when I already have an MSc?

3. One final thing - am I correct that there is no scholarship or bursary for primary teaching? For the secondary physics courses there is a grant of £26,000... which seems a huge amount. Are the £9000 tuition fees covered or do these need to be paid upfront using the grant?

Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I don't know if universities are actually still recruiting students. Getting all your stuff back by the time the course starts is gonna be difficult. You could try applying, but just the application process will take longer than 6 days, so I'd wait till next year.

Having a PGCE is not necessary, but having QTS almost always is, and there are a number of routes you can get into teaching, all of which you can research on the website. The PGCE is a teaching qualification, whereas the MSc is a subject qualification, although they're both masters-level.

There is a bursary of £3k for primary with maths, although once you have QTS, which you can get from PGCE Physics, you can switch to primary if you want after graduating and still get the bursary. The bursary is there so that there is no barrier to entry, the course is still covered by student finance so you still get tuition/maintenance loan, although I guess some people won't qualify for that support so the bursary becomes a necessity. So for me, I get the maintenance loan of £9.6k, bursary of £26k and tuition covered.
Certain institutions will still accept, you will need to contact them first. As stated above, you will be taking a risk as you would need to pass the skills tests etc.

I have answered your specific questions below.

Original post by dogandcat

1. Is a teaching qualification necessary in order to teach? I've been told by a few people that there are a lot of unqualified teachers... but then what is the point in the PGCE?

Technically it is not a requirement; however, it is seen by many in the teaching community as essential. You will be going against other candidates who are very likely to have one. The PGCE is the teaching qualification, it leads to QTS and essentially it teaches you how to teach.

2. Is a PGCE necessary when I already have an MSc?

Yes.

3. One final thing - am I correct that there is no scholarship or bursary for primary teaching? For the secondary physics courses there is a grant of £26,000... which seems a huge amount. Are the £9000 tuition fees covered or do these need to be paid upfront using the grant?

There is a scholarship for primary maths. This is also under certain terms, check these on the gov website.
I started the application process later than most, and had an interview early August. I got offered a place and I'm only just coming to the end of the process now, although still waiting for a couple of boxes to be ticked (like DBS/Occupational Health clearance). There are lots of rings to jump through, the professional skills test being the first! It's essentially up to you whether you choose to go for it but it'll certainly be a push. I guess the benefit of leaving it till next year is that they're scrapping the Professional skills test for 2020 applicants and onwards!
I'd also add that in most cases, 'unqualified' teachers get less. I have a friend who works at a local secondary school as an unqualified teacher, and gets approx 10k less than others who share the same workload. Needless to say, she's doing her official teacher training this year!
Original post by beachbaby
I started the application process later than most, and had an interview early August. I got offered a place and I'm only just coming to the end of the process now, although still waiting for a couple of boxes to be ticked (like DBS/Occupational Health clearance). There are lots of rings to jump through, the professional skills test being the first! It's essentially up to you whether you choose to go for it but it'll certainly be a push. I guess the benefit of leaving it till next year is that they're scrapping the Professional skills test for 2020 applicants and onwards!

I’m giving the application a go for this year... if there still listing vacancies on UCAS then I Guess it is still open - there is also the next round in a few weeks- the last call. Plus the get into teaching folks are still running online sessions for 2019 applicants - next one 4th Sept- check website.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by GiddyKipper
I’m giving the application a go for this year... if there still listing vacancies on UCAS then I Guess it is still open - there is also the next round in a few weeks- the last call. Plus the get into teaching folks are still running online sessions for 2019 applicants - next one 4th Sept- check website.

Go for it! :smile: Best of luck with it all, a lot of it comes down to determination at the end of the day! Fingers crossed for ya

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending