The Student Room Group

Typical how to make friends in college.

I really need help making friends in college. I have 0 and im alone most of the time. Please help, just saying be nice and confident wont help with my anixety, nothing works
Original post by Anonymous
I really need help making friends in college. I have 0 and im alone most of the time. Please help, just saying be nice and confident wont help with my anixety, nothing works

You don't need friends buddy, you need you. you may want some people to talk with sometimes but most of the time you need to learn being you and enjoying your own company.
Reply 2
Original post by ahmadnur99
You don't need friends buddy, you need you. you may want some people to talk with sometimes but most of the time you need to learn being you and enjoying your own company.

Thank you thats great advice, should I work on myself being better and then get friends?
Yes, learn to be yourself as you don't need friends and for the times where you are alone you need to be prepared and know how to cope.
Secondly, Im not too good myself, I still haven't made many proper friends in college and im in 2nd year, I don't know how on earth people do it!
I guess just talk and find common interests, such as if you both study a particular topic, a tv show or about a part time job or anything to talk about I guess.
then again some people are really awkward and reserved so just be you and do the best you can. Try so then you know you've done all you could do.
Thank you thats great advice, should I work on myself being better and then get friends?

You’re already better. You just need to be yourself and not depending on friends in terms of having fun or enjoying moments. When people see someone like you seeking friends badly they will take advantage of you and chances are they may even put you in trouble or may tell you to do something bad in order to get their attention. Believe me buddy it’s not worth it. When looking for friends, look for the quality in terms of loyalty and trustworthy. This is not easy to get but someday you will and when you do, you will realise that they’re not only friends, but also like a family because of their support. For now, keep calm and talk to people casually but never label them as friends too early.
Reply 5
But what about at lunch when your alone
Reply 6
Yes, learn to be yourself as you don't need friends and for the times where you are alone you need to be prepared and know how to cope.
Secondly, Im not too good myself, I still haven't made many proper friends in college and im in 2nd year, I don't know how on earth people do it!
I guess just talk and find common interests, such as if you both study a particular topic, a tv show or about a part time job or anything to talk about I guess.
then again some people are really awkward and reserved so just be you and do the best you can. Try so then you know you've done all you could do.

what about lunch when your alone
what about lunch when your alone

when I said be prepared for the times you will be alone that is what I meant, you've just got to learn to enjoy your own company. If theres anyone you know who is in for lunch at the same day you are then ask them if you can spend It together. If not then just go to a study area/library and catch up on something, that is what I do as theres not really much you can do by yourself without looking like an idiot lol
If you're telling people not to tell you to be nice and confident I'm afraid you have a problem.. as that's honestly the only actual way to make friends.

I would also recommend perhaps joining a club if possible, like an extra curricular sports or music club, as it helps to be around people with similar interests - but I know that not all colleges actually offer that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending