The Student Room Group

What words or phrases have you picked up from American TV shows?

What words or phrases have you picked up from American TV shows, and now find yourself saying?

When I was a kid I used to watch The Simpsons (who didn't) and they always used 'already' at the end of a sentence, like 'can we go home alreadyyy?' so I started using it myself
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
"That's what she said" from The Office
Reply 2
When I'm being sarcastic:

Is that your final answer?

Regis Philbin, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?
Jank, jerk, whack, y'all, half-hour... and the list goes on
Original post by SlightlySummer
Jank, jerk, whack, y'all, half-hour... and the list goes on

i write y'all online but i cant say it in real life because it just sounds like i'm yawning or mumbling something...
Reply 5
'He is just not that into you' whenever friends are wondering why someone has not rung or texted them back. And 'shopping is my cardio'. Both Sex and the City.
Original post by A Rolling Stone
i write y'all online but i cant say it in real life because it just sounds like i'm yawning or mumbling something...

Me too, I didn't even know it was American English until I read a meme about it :lol:
Me too, I didn't even know it was American English until I read a meme about it :lol:

Texas/Southern specifically (supposed to be cowboy language) and has only recently spread out generally!
Reply 8

You didn't know "y'all" was an Americanism? :eek3:
Original post by Strelzo
You didn't know "y'all" was an Americanism? :eek3:

shh, she's under 18 according to her profile and obviously times are changing - like i bet you didn't know the word yeah (as opposed to just yes) was an Americanism etc.
Reply 10
None that I can think of
Reply 11
None.

I have the mind of a wolf not that of a sheep

I am not easily influenced.
none that I know of
Can't think of any particular words or phrases off the top of my head but in my teens I went through a phase where I really picked up that upward inflection thing at the end of sentences. My mum used to keep having a go at me for it.

Quick Reply

Latest