The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Is york considered to be a good uni?

Yeah it is. First of all, it's a Russell Group Uni meaning it has a similar reputation to other universities on that list such as Southampton, Liverpool, Edinburgh. The entry requirement are AAB for most subjects (I think) which makes its students also seem of the best. Especially for English however, as the entry requirement are AAA it is of high standard :smile:
University of York
York
In what sense? It could be good in one aspect, in need of improvement in another. Are you talking in regard to its reputation or for a course? The question is vague.
it's pretty good
To most people its a great Uni.

To people on TSR, if its not Oxbridge or an 'elite' Uni, it will be considered a mediocre Russell Group uni.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by alicesmith1628

Hi there,

Having recently graduated from York, I can recommend studying there. There's a great sense of community within the uni because of the college system, and you're rarely out and about without seeing someone you know. York in general is an amazing place to live as well (it was named the best place to live in Britain by The Sunday Times in 2018).

It's also a great place to study - we have a TEF Gold award for our teaching and we also have the highest rating for overall satisfaction of the Russell Group universities included in the National Student Survey 2019.

It's about what's right for you, but personally, I loved my time at York.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Steph :smile:
Original post by it'snotthecounty
In what sense? It could be good in one aspect, in need of improvement in another. Are you talking in regard to its reputation or for a course? The question is vague.

Regarding reputation mostly
Reply 7
Original post by alicesmith1628
Regarding reputation mostly

The answers is yes. Its reputation is very good.
average according to my opinion
Reply 9
Original post by alone ghost
average according to my opinion

If you go to Cambridge or Oxford maybe...
Original post by jc933
If you go to Cambridge or Oxford maybe...

Or ucl, lse and imperial
"Is York considered to be a good uni?".

Most certainly. While I would caution against placing too much emphasis on the dreaded league tables, York is one of only two of the 'Plateglass' universities, established in the 1960s that has consistently appeared in the top 20. The operative word is consistently. Others come and go but York and Warwick remain. Indeed, only yesterday we saw the publication of the Times Higher Education World Rankings for 2020. York was listed as 16 in the UK (world rank 128) while Warwick was 9 (world rank 77). Only Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial were in the world top 10 but all the UK top 20 were in the world top 150.

There was a time when York's standing was sky high. Circa the year 2000 it ranked alongside Oxford and Cambridge in the top three (based primarily on research quality). It gained a reputation (somewhat unfairly) as a university of choice for well off students who had just missed out on a place at Oxbridge - an accusation that nowadays, equally unfairly, is often aimed at Durham (17 and 133 respectively in this year's UK and world rankings). Since then, York and other similar institutions have enhanced their diversity and become less socially exclusive. This inevitably involves welcoming some students whose A level grades are not always the very highest but are taken in context. Nevertheless, academic standards remain among the best in the world.

Research has shown that - Oxford and Cambridge aside - there is little difference in the minds of employers and the wider public between the higher ranking universities in the UK. It is far better that potential students make their choice on the basis of which course, institution and location they will be happy with for three very important years of their lives.
Go to an Open Day - and make your own decision : https://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/visits/open-days/
Original post by returnmigrant
Go to an Open Day - and make your own decision : https://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/visits/open-days/

Obviously very sound advice but not everyone can make it to every university in which they might have an interest.

It's essential to weigh up all the factors that, for you would make for a successful and happy time as a student. After all, it's three years of your life.

If you are looking for a collegiate university in an historic city, and you don't want to jump through all the hoops necessary to fight for a place at Oxford or Cambridge, then York is a good bet. The campus is not too far from the city centre and there is a nearly continuous shuttle bus between all parts of the uni, the city centre and the railway station (from where it's only around 2 hours to London and half an hour to Leeds). Entrance requirements are high but not impossibly so, typically ranging from A*AA to BBB, depending on the course. The city itself is outstanding: it's recognised as one of the most beautiful in the UK and, at around 200,000 inhabitants, is a similar size to Oxford.

York is not for those who crave the big city life. Nor would be Oxford, Cambridge, Durham or St. Andrews. If you think this description matches your requirements then take a look at the courses, read up on the city - and yes, look out for the next Open Day.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
I think it's also worth investigating the reputation of the specific department you're interested in. Where is the department in the world rankings for its subject? How does the department's research rank in REF? What connections to other organisations do they have? Do they have any awards for encouraging diversity, such as Athena SWAN? I'm afraid you're not going to get that information easily on TSR, as people active in the UoY forum aren't intimately familiar with every department.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending