The Student Room Group

Teacher Training 2020 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

If you will be applying for Physics, Chemistry, Geography, Computing or Languages, make sure you find out about the scholarships and apply!

I talk about the Royal Society of Chemistry scholarship on my blog:
https://thenextchemist.wordpress.com/2019/08/24/rsc-scholarship-welcome-day-2019-and-iypt-exhibition/
is it better to apply as soon as applications open in October or does it not matter? I won't have completed all of my school experience until November so I was thinking of applying later
Original post by annamarshall2727
is it better to apply as soon as applications open in October or does it not matter? I won't have completed all of my school experience until November so I was thinking of applying later

applying in November is perfectly fine, it's still an early application!
Reply 83
Original post by annamarshall2727

Primary or non-science/Maths/language, you should apply before March. The rest it's fine, you can apply right up to the end of July really, although competitive places go quickly.
Currently doing work experience this week - in a special measure school! Fun times. :grin:
Can anyone help with this? -

I know that UCAS applications won't open until October, but I've heard you can register with UCAS before this date and input details, however on the website I can only see details on Undergraduate 2020 entry, nothing about teacher training.
Original post by Lbennett73
Can anyone help with this? -

I know that UCAS applications won't open until October, but I've heard you can register with UCAS before this date and input details, however on the website I can only see details on Undergraduate 2020 entry, nothing about teacher training.

you wont be able to do anything until the 1st of October 2019 for the 2020 entry.
Original post by thenextchemist
you wont be able to do anything until the 1st of October 2019 for the 2020 entry.

I contacted the UCAS Teacher Training Helpline, and they told me you couldn't even register until October 8th? Where did you get your date from? (just because if it is the 1st that would be great, because we'd have more time to prepare our applications :smile:)
Original post by DauntlessKilljoy
I contacted the UCAS Teacher Training Helpline, and they told me you couldn't even register until October 8th? Where did you get your date from? (just because if it is the 1st that would be great, because we'd have more time to prepare our applications :smile:)

oops sorry! your probably right about the 8th of October
the 1st of October is when you can search for teacher training courses which is what it says on the teacher training website
Original post by thenextchemist
oops sorry! your probably right about the 8th of October
the 1st of October is when you can search for teacher training courses which is what it says on the teacher training website

Ohhh okay. Thanks for clarifying. :smile:
Also, just so no one makes the same mistake as me and tries to take their PGCE Skills Tests early, we don't need them for 2020 entry. The government has changed the way it's done and it's going to be a part of the teaching courses instead. No one really knows what's going on, but I've contacted UCAS and the universities I plan on applying to, and they all say don't bother doing it.
Hi, the opening date will actually be tomorrow (08/10/2019) :smile: I am still stuck between primary with science, secondary English and psychology/social sciences... I graduated with a distinction from the University of Leicester with an MA in International Education in 2018. I previously completed a bachelor degree in psychology (hons) at the University of Nottingham and at the moment I am about to start a one month course in safeguarding children at the adult skills centre (anyone in Leicester/shire wanting to sign up, let me know and I'll PM you!). Hopefully the latter and my MA will give me strengths (that and the MA Ed head recommended me in person to the team! :smile:) in my application. Sooo nervous. I will (hopefully) be applying to University of Leicester and University of Nottingham. The Professional Skills Tests were scrapped for prospective teachers... anyone have any idea why the new web pages for some PGCE courses still list this as a requirement?
(edited 4 years ago)
I’ve foun

Original post by zozofarawla9
Hi, the opening date will actually be tomorrow (08/10/2019) :smile: I am still stuck between primary with science, secondary English and psychology/social sciences... I graduated with a distinction from the University of Leicester with an MA in International Education in 2018. I previously completed a bachelor degree in psychology (hons) at the University of Nottingham and at the moment I am about to start a one month course in safeguarding children at the adult skills centre (anyone in Leicester/shire wanting to sign up, let me know and I'll PM you!). Hopefully the latter and my MA will give me strengths (that and the MA Ed head recommended me in person to the team! :smile:) in my application. Sooo nervous. I will (hopefully) be applying to University of Leicester and University of Nottingham. The Professional Skills Tests were scrapped for prospective teachers... anyone have any idea why the new web pages for some PGCE courses still list this as a requirement?

I’ve found that some places still list them as required but:
1. Some places just haven’t updated their literature from last year (a bit off putting if you ask me)
2. Some have a note at the bottom of their page saying they’ve been scrapped
3. Some places are doing their own tests at interview, like what happens in Wales.

IMO if the skills tests were scrapped then it means that providers shouldn’t be allowed to do their own at interview. However I guess with such short notice and very little information they’re getting away with it.

Also, if you’re super torn between Primary, English and Social Sciences and you’ve done work experience of all of them then go for English because not only do you get your student finance but you get a bursary too :smile:
just wanted to wish anyone applying for PGCE courses luck. I started mine a month ago at the University of Reading and honestly, best decision I've ever made. If anyone has any questions feel free to message me 😊
Original post by DauntlessKilljoy
Also, just so no one makes the same mistake as me and tries to take their PGCE Skills Tests early, we don't need them for 2020 entry. The government has changed the way it's done and it's going to be a part of the teaching courses instead. No one really knows what's going on, but I've contacted UCAS and the universities I plan on applying to, and they all say don't bother doing it.

Omg is this true?
I was looking to apply last year for 2018 entry and the numeracy test put me off as I'm not that good with math.
How will we find out if we need to do these tests or not?
Thanks for letting us know!
Location: Birmingham - studied Biomedical science at Coventry University
Specific Course: PGCE with QTS Secondary Biology
Applying at: University of Birmingham, Birmingham City University & School direct at King's Consortium

Can't apply outside of Birmingham because I'm expecting my first baby in a few weeks and by the time I start she will be 10 months old.
Feeling nervous tbh! I feel like I'm making the right choice to do it now rather than later. I know a PGCE will be hard especially with a baby but I have all the support from my husband and family so I'm going to do it. It's now or never lol. Anyone else doing a PGCE with a child?
TODAY'S THE DAY :afraid:
Good luck everyone with interviews and applications! started my PGCE last month at UCL for chemistry and absolutely loving it! officially start going on placement from tomorrow 🤓
Just in case anyone is having major issues with personal statement length in ucas. Teacher training apply uses a DIFFERENT COUNTING SYSTEM to ucas undergrad apply when I comes to your personal statement.
So one line of text at undergrad level is 94 characters, for us it’s 80.
So don’t bother using personal statement checkers because they’ll all for undergrad and it’ll say you’ve only got 47 lines when you’ve got like 57.

Having an absolute nightmare but determined to finish off this application tonight 😂
Original post by Lucycoldtea
Thank you so much!
I see this is probably where that info came from then!

Yes I am also looking at Leicester and Derby :smile:

Good point! Schools are extremely busy places. Kinda dumb of me to think they’d remember one email over a few months 😂

Thanks for the recommendation. I’m working on my personal statement right now and I’m doing a IGCSE in biology so I have all my qualifications in order 👍🏻 thanks for your advice!

Hello Lucy, I am thinking about applying for PGCE Primary in UoN, but there is additional GCSE Science requirement for doing primary. Unfortunately UoN won't accept an equivalency test result.
Could you please share some information on how to do iGCSE science as an external mature student? Thx a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending