The Student Room Group

Graphics OR Fine art?

I'm a very confident drawer, and I'm unsure whether I've chosen the right A-level course with Graphics (and illustration). Although it's only early days, as I've only been on the course for just over a week, I feel like my drawing skill is being somewhat wasted. Because of this, I'm wondering whether fine art might suit my skill more. Any feedback will be so helpful. Cheers!
(edited 4 years ago)
is this a level or gcse?
Reply 2
Original post by aesthetic21
is this a level or gcse?

A level
Original post by battmaxter
A level

are you taking this alongside other a levels or is it just one? Because i did gcse graphics and i was going to choose fine art before.
Reply 4
I'm doing product design and maths
Original post by battmaxter
I'm doing product design and maths

ah right, i did gcse graphics. Graphics and Fine art are pretty similar in the sense that you can include fine art in your pieces and its a lot more free and you can do anything in graphics. Most of my work was basically fine art with graphical bits around it so i don't think you should worry about your drawing skills being waste as most graphic teachers like the idea of overlapping with fine art!
but at the end of the day its up to you, i cant give you any advice about fine art because i didn't do it but i can say that graphics is a really fun subject and you can basically trace the entire subject :biggrin:
Reply 6
alright that's great to hear. thanks for that👍
Reply 7
I should have added, I'm mainly good at drawing as in portraiture, like drawing realistically and detailed. prefer realism to graphical drawing
Can’t you do A Level Art and Design? That will combine the two, if you do fine art it will be solely drawing and painting and graphics solely graphics, and then art and design covers everything
Reply 9
no, the art and design a level at my college involves heavy study of context and history of art, which I'm not interested in. thanks for your input though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest