The Student Room Group

What should i do for a levels/what do i really want to do?

I really like the subjects citizenship and sociology which i do right now out of the few subjects i do for GCSE and i was wondering what a-levels i should consider doing. I have researched about criminology and it has taken my interest however i know that there are more jobs/careers and more i can do. I am just stuck on what i should choose for A-levels and what sixth form/college is best for it. please help me:frown:
Original post by 0325future
I really like the subjects citizenship and sociology which i do right now out of the few subjects i do for GCSE and i was wondering what a-levels i should consider doing. I have researched about criminology and it has taken my interest however i know that there are more jobs/careers and more i can do. I am just stuck on what i should choose for A-levels and what sixth form/college is best for it. please help me:frown:

I think you should do sociology if you enjoy, then just do other essay based subjects that go well with it, such as politics, psychology, economics, history, philosophy etc.
Reply 2
Original post by RoughHead
I think you should do sociology if you enjoy, then just do other essay based subjects that go well with it, such as politics, psychology, economics, history, philosophy etc.

Can i do an apprenticeship while doing my a-levels and what woukd i do it in
Can i do an apprenticeship while doing my a-levels and what woukd i do it in

No if you want to do an apprenticeship finish your a levels, get your grades, then apply for apprenticeships or even degree level apprenticeships. You need your a level grades to get into good apprenticeships.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
No if you want to do an apprenticeship finish your a levels, get your grades, then apply for apprenticeships or even degree level apprenticeships. You need your a level grades to get into good apprenticeships.

Ok thanks! I really don't know what i should pick for A-levels i don't really have an idea of what job i want to do in the future or what course i can take if i choose to go to uni. I know that you need specific A-levels for a course so how do i make the right choice
Reply 5
Ok thanks! I really don't know what i should pick for A-levels i don't really have an idea of what job i want to do in the future or what course i can take if i choose to go to uni. I know that you need specific A-levels for a course so how do i make the right choice

Look at list of facillitating subjects and pick two of those plus one other. Some obviously go together eg Biology and Chem or Physics and Maths or Eng Lit and History.
Reply 6
Original post by Scotney
Look at list of facillitating subjects and pick two of those plus one other. Some obviously go together eg Biology and Chem or Physics and Maths or Eng Lit and History.

I don't really enjoy or want to to any of the subjects even tho it gives me a wider range of opportunities but i can always change my mind after i do my exams and look at my GCSE scores but i do need to go to open days and start building an interest in something i want to do myself
Reply 7
I don't really enjoy or want to to any of the subjects even tho it gives me a wider range of opportunities but i can always change my mind after i do my exams and look at my GCSE scores but i do need to go to open days and start building an interest in something i want to do myself

That is a good idea but remember open days are trhing to sell degrees so just bear that in mind.

Forget if subjects are facilitating or not, do what you enjoy. You said you enjoy sociology, so i think you should do other social sciences that go well with it. If you enjoy sociology, it’s likely you might enjoy politics or psychology. Even though they are different subjects, they go well with eachother. Just do what you enjoy, because at the end of they day, if you do a subjext just because it has a good reputation you will fail the f*ck out of that subject. You must enjoy the subject. You can do economics too, which although a difficult subject ( at least for me), it is well respected and goes well with sociology.

Just look into subjects that interest you, find out what you will learn about and see if it interests you. For example in politics, you learn how governments work etc. In economics, you learn about the economy and how production is made and how resources are distributed, (lots of annoying graphs) etc.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Forget if subjects are facilitating or not, do what you enjoy. You said you enjoy sociology, so i think you should do other social sciences that go well with it. If you enjoy sociology, it’s likely you might enjoy politics or psychology. Even though they are different subjects, they go well with eachother. Just do what you enjoy, because at the end of they day, if you do a subjext just because it has a good reputation you will fail the f*ck out of that subject. You must enjoy the subject. You can do economics too, which although a difficult subject ( at least for me), it is well respected and goes well with sociology.

Just look into subjects that interest you, find out what you will learn about and see if it interests you. For example in politics, you learn how governments work etc. In economics, you learn about the economy and how production is made and how resources are distributed, (lots of annoying graphs) etc.

Thank you this really helped!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest