The Student Room Group

Do English people have a lower chance of getting into a Scottish medical school?

I don't know if I'm being stupid but do the recent changes by the SNP party mean that there are a fixed amount of places allocated for Scottish students at the expense of students from the rest of the UK? Would this make picking a Scottish university more risky than an English one?

eg. https://www.ed.ac.uk/medicine-vet-medicine/edinburgh-medical-school/medicine/applying/how-to-apply/procedure

Notice there are fewer places available for English, Welsh etc.

Many thanks in advance,

With gratitude,

Mogtasid,
Reply 1
Original post by SudanesePrince
I don't know if I'm being stupid but do the recent changes by the SNP party mean that there are a fixed amount of places allocated for Scottish students at the expense of students from the rest of the UK? Would this make picking a Scottish university more risky than an English one?

eg. https://www.ed.ac.uk/medicine-vet-medicine/edinburgh-medical-school/medicine/applying/how-to-apply/procedure

Notice there are fewer places available for English, Welsh etc.

Many thanks in advance,

With gratitude,

Mogtasid,

In the past few years, the RUK places have had slightly lower competition ratios than the home/eu ones, so in reality this probably will just even it up. But if you are a RUK applicant it's worth taking into account, particularly for Dundee and Aberdeen which have low RUK places.
Original post by 2500_2
In the past few years, the RUK places have had slightly lower competition ratios than the home/eu ones, so in reality this probably will just even it up. But if you are a RUK applicant it's worth taking into account, particularly for Dundee and Aberdeen which have low RUK places.

Ah, thank you. I'm thinking of applying to Glasgow, but I don't want to waste a choice on a Scottish medical school if I would have better chances applying to an English one.
I was also wondering, what would happen if I got into a Scottish university and a second referendum happened, that lead to independance?
I'm not too concerned about working in Scotland, just finishing the degree without incident. Surely there would be a guarantee that all English students finish their degrees, then a grace period before returning to England or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending