The Student Room Group

Rory Stewart leaves the Tories

Rory Stewart has resigned from the Conservative Party (and we must assume the Tory whip in Parliament - it isn't yet clear if he is staying on as an independent MP), by publicly reading the famous letter from Johnson's headmaster at Eton dismissing Boris as someone who thinks the rules of society don't apply to him.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/04/rory-stewart-resigns-from-conservative-party

Stewart has always been a principled MP and is someone who is clearly too good to serve in Johnson's strange parliamentary party of spivs, liars, self-serving money makers, slightly mad people and the threadbare remnants of a once great party.

This is also a clear indication that Boris has no intention of achieving a deal and Stewart knows he is just going through the motions so that he can blame the EU.

Scroll to see replies

Unsurprising, he looks to be on the more liberal end of the party and completely opposed to Johnson and his courting of the hard right elements of the party.

So, that's Johnson's majority down to what, -46? Absolutely incredible that Theresa May looks like not even being the worst PM of 2019, let alone modern history
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Unsurprising, he looks to be on the more liberal end of the party and completely opposed to Johnson and his courting of the hard right elements of the party.

So, that's Johnson's majority down to what, -46?

Johnson can't so much as authorise the purchase of a paperclip via Parliament now.

Corbyn really does have to allow a general election sooner rather than later, the current situation is increasingly ridiculous and unfeasible.
For a conservative, he is exceptionally decent and principled. In some ways I’m surprised he ever chose to join them, given a lot of what he says. Hats off to him though for doing something that will hurt his career because he believes it is right. The Conservative party is looking ever more like the Brexit party now.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Rory Stewart has resigned from the Conservative Party (and we must assume the Tory whip in Parliament - it isn't yet clear if he is staying on as an independent MP), by publicly reading the famous letter from Johnson's headmaster at Eton dismissing Boris as someone who thinks the rules of society don't apply to him.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/04/rory-stewart-resigns-from-conservative-party

Stewart has always been a principled MP and is someone who is clearly too good to serve in Johnson's strange parliamentary party of spivs, liars, self-serving money makers, slightly mad people and the threadbare remnants of a once great party.

This is also a clear indication that Boris has no intention of achieving a deal and Stewart knows he is just going through the motions so that he can blame the EU.

Rory Stewart is a joke of a politician. His views are not Conservative and, as one commentator said on Sky, he would have made a great leader for the Lib Dems or Labour, but not the Tories.

So, that's Johnson's majority down to what, -46? Absolutely incredible that Theresa May looks like not even being the worst PM of 2019, let alone modern history

Johnson needs an election to get his own mandate. He is struggling because this is still Theresa May’s group of MPs.
Next he will join the Lib Dems.

Johnson doesn't need a majority, as his plan from day 1 has been to go for no deal and then have a general election.
Original post by bhot_lagucj
Johnson doesn't need a majority, as his plan from day 1 has been to go for no deal and then have a general election.

He wont be able to get a GE or anything sensible, if he lacks the support.
I knew it!
Original post by Wired_1800
Rory Stewart is a joke of a politician. His views are not Conservative and, as one commentator said on Sky, he would have made a great leader for the Lib Dems or Labour, but not the Tories.

They're not in line with the current extremist quasi-religious right wingery that is modern Conservatism, but his views would have been completely mainstream Tory under a Heath government or even a Thatcher one. Actually, it says something about the current Tory Party that Mrs Thatcher's governments look sensible and moderate in comparison.
They're not in line with the current extremist quasi-religious right wingery that is modern Conservatism, but his views would have been completely mainstream Tory under a Heath government or even a Thatcher one. Actually, it says something about the current Tory Party that Mrs Thatcher's governments look sensible and moderate in comparison.

That is fair but I think people are attacking the Tories for being too extreme. I largely think this is because of Brexit and people prefer to catastrophise the current situation.

We have our Labour Party being viewed as left-wing lunatics while the Tories are viewed as right-wing racists. I think this extreme views need to stop.

Also Parties are a broad church where all views are welcome.
(edited 4 years ago)
Johnson can't so much as authorise the purchase of a paperclip via Parliament now.

Corbyn really does have to allow a general election sooner rather than later, the current situation is increasingly ridiculous and unfeasible.

From an electioneering point, Corbyn is probably doing the right thing by giving Johnson enough rope and time to hang himself. I can see a GE before the end of the year though, probably approved the moment the extension is requested

Johnson needs an election to get his own mandate. He is struggling because this is still Theresa May’s group of MPs.

He's struggling because he's grossly incompetent, always has been.

Original post by bhot_lagucj

He needs a majority, or at least parliamentary support, for that though thanks to the Benn act
Also Parties are a broach church where all views are welcome.

They should be, but right now, they clearly aren't.

This kind of demand for purist radicalism infects the minor parties as well - the Greens for example can be rather unwelcoming and obsessed with trivial greenshaming and norms based on upper middle class twittish interpretations of how to make progress.

This kind of demand for purist radicalism infects the minor parties as well - the Greens for example can be rather unwelcoming and obsessed with trivial greenshaming and norms based on upper middle class twittish interpretations of how to make progress.

I agree with you. I am tired of this unforgiving attitude that both sides of the House have adopted. We should leave the EU and move on.

No offence, I don't consider the Greens to be an actual Party.

Just for this point, one of the funniest things I've ever experienced was being called a Faragist by a green party canvasser at the 2015 election for saying that I couldn't vote for the green party while they opposed nuclear power, since going nuclear and renewables is the best way to decarbonise our energy network without risks of blackouts and shortages.
Just for this point, one of the funniest things I've ever experienced was being called a Faragist by a green party canvasser at the 2015 election for saying that I couldn't vote for the green party while they opposed nuclear power, since going nuclear and renewables is the best way to decarbonise our energy network without risks of blackouts and shortages.

There's undeniably a lack of both scientific comprehension and well reasoned big picture logic in the average Green Party cell. But to be fair, this kind of ignorance is fairly widespread in all parties at the local level.
Also Parties are a broad church where all views are welcome.

Nice sentiment, but...

...you can't say that after saying this.

Politics is too divided, it is too tribalistic. But you can't say that, and say that parties should have a wide range and cover a spectrum, while at the same time saying someone shouldn't hold the views they do in the party they're in. You're railing against yourself..?

He's struggling because he's grossly incompetent, always has been.

Ok
That a man like Steward leaves the party while a superficial lightweight like Johnson becomes PM is a damning indictment of the state of the Conservstives.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending