The Student Room Group

Film production :Sunderland or Hertfordshire

Hello,I'm from India and I'm looking for studying masters in film production, it has been difficult to choose between Universities (also considering economical fee structure). So which is better ? University of Sunderland or Hertfordshire?
Herts is a CILECT member. Sunderland isn’t.
Original post by ahdal
Hello,I'm from India and I'm looking for studying masters in film production, it has been difficult to choose between Universities (also considering economical fee structure). So which is better ? University of Sunderland or Hertfordshire?

Hi @ahdal!

Glad to hear that you are considering Hertfordshire!

As @PQ already mentioned, Hertfordshire is a CILECT Member. CILECT (International Association of Film and Television Schools) is an association of the world’s major film and television schools. This group was formed in Cannes in 1955. Membership to this group requires Universities to provide the highest standard of teaching. We are one of only 13 UK institutions who are CILECT Members.

Hertfordshire also has a vast international student community. We are home to 3,800 international students from over 100 different countries. We are well placed, being situated in a town with plenty of green space, yet only a 25 minute train journey from Kings Cross in central London. The University has a range of industrial links, which include degree accreditation (from CILECT, Black Magic and Avid) and visiting lecturers (such as Oscar winner Prof. Val Kuklowsky).

Are you currently in the UK? If so I would recommend visiting postgraduate open evening if possible. You can find more information about our open days here.

Best of luck with your decision, and don't hesitate to ask me any further questions about Hertfordshire :smile:
Original post by Herts UG Student Rep
Hi @ahdal!

Glad to hear that you are considering Hertfordshire!

As @PQ already mentioned, Hertfordshire is a CILECT Member. CILECT (International Association of Film and Television Schools) is an association of the world’s major film and television schools. This group was formed in Cannes in 1955. Membership to this group requires Universities to provide the highest standard of teaching. We are one of only 13 UK institutions who are CILECT Members.

Hertfordshire also has a vast international student community. We are home to 3,800 international students from over 100 different countries. We are well placed, being situated in a town with plenty of green space, yet only a 25 minute train journey from Kings Cross in central London. The University has a range of industrial links, which include degree accreditation (from CILECT, Black Magic and Avid) and visiting lecturers (such as Oscar winner Prof. Val Kuklowsky).

Are you currently in the UK? If so I would recommend visiting postgraduate open evening if possible. You can find more information about our open days here.

Best of luck with your decision, and don't hesitate to ask me any further questions about Hertfordshire :smile:

Might be worth mentioning your in country staff/events too if OP is in India - https://www.herts.ac.uk/international/contact-the-international-office/in-country-office
Original post by PQ
Might be worth mentioning your in country staff/events too if OP is in India - https://www.herts.ac.uk/international/contact-the-international-office/in-country-office

Original post by ahdal

That's a very good point - you can contact our India office on [email protected]! They will be able to assist you with your University application, visa documents and University accommodation. @University of Hertfordshire may also be able to tell you what international University fairs you will be able to find Hertfordshire at (hopefully there will be one in India at a city near you! :smile: ).
Reply 5
thanks for the info , I'm still in India , yeah I'll contact the indian office . @PQ @Herts UG Student Rep
Original post by ahdal
thanks for the info , I'm still in India , yeah I'll contact the indian office . @PQ @Herts UG Student Rep

Best of luck with your application :smile:
Original post by ahdal

Hi @ahdal

It's great to hear that you're interested in one of our courses. Our Masters is Media Production is fantastic as it covers both Film and Television so it's a great option if you're looking to cover all bases. You'll be based in The David Puttnam Media Centre which is a thriving place to study and experience media. You'll rub shoulders with BBC Newcastle and Made in Tyne & Wear, who are both based in the building and have the opportunity to volunteer with the award winning Spark Sunderland, our community radio station.

Lord David Puttnam, the BAFTA and Oscar-winning film producer, is just one of many industry professionals to host regular masterclasses at the University, passing on his expert advice and offering insight into the film industry.
Tom Chittenden is just one of our many successful graduates who reviewed his time studying the course in one of our case studies. You can check out what he thought about the course and its facilities here.

While it's great that you're considering your options based on the course, it's also worth taking into account what you are looking to get out of your overall university experience. Are you looking for a big city, or more of a smaller feel, do you need additional support and who are you going to get the best graduate prospects with. Do consider other factors when making your decision as you'll be spending a year at whichever university you choose and it's important that it suits your needs and interests.

I've provided the details to our Indian Liasion Office below should you wish to ask them anything directly, or you can ask me any questions you have here too :smile:
India Liaison Office
University of Sunderland
5th Floor, Harmony Plaza
Building No. 3-6-387/D
Himayatnagar
Hyderabad
Telangana
India

Telephone: +91 40 65766777
Email: [email protected]

Quick Reply

Latest