The Student Room Group

students life

how does it feel to study in foreign country as an international student?
Reply 1
depends a lot on where you're going to and where you come from. bigger cities tend to have more diverse students so you're more likely to find people similar to you there. for the most part i can imagine it's fun but a big change.
Hi, @moreofsupriyaya :smile:

I am an international student and I study Cyber Security at DMU, Leicester.
Although, it always seems as a really interesting and exciting experience (which it is absolutely!), you may face some things like language barrier and homesickness. When I first came to the UK, I was fascinated by the opportunities I could take and different events I could attend. However, I wasn't confident English speker at that moment and it really pushed me back. Also in a few months I started suffer from homesickness and my only dream was to go back home for a holiday.

Nevertheless, if you take this really important step in your life with enough caution and preparation, it is going to be probably best time in your life! You will meet hundreds of new people, see hundreds of new places and study in the country which is famous for its education for centuries! :smile:

To conclude, it is a wonderful experience. But there are always some things that you need to think of and prepare for :wink:

Good luck!
Let me know if you have any other questions,
- Iya
Original post by turgid
depends a lot on where you're going to and where you come from. bigger cities tend to have more diverse students so you're more likely to find people similar to you there. for the most part i can imagine it's fun but a big change.

Hello!
I am an international student studying Film Production at the University of Sunderland. Being an international student and studying abroad can be a singular and life-changing experience. When I set out to study abroad, I experienced a sense of excitement and adventure. For me it gives me the chance to learn about a new culture, interact with people from various backgrounds, and broaden my horizons. It can be difficult to adjust to a new academic system, language, and cultural norms when moving to a new country. You might experience culture shock, homesickness, and initial navigational challenges in your new environment. Finding one's feet and making adjustments take time.
Studying abroad offers a fantastic chance to interact with people from different cultures. I had the chance to share my own culture with others while also learning about the customs, traditions, and way of life in the UK. A deeper understanding and appreciation of various viewpoints may result from this discussion. Language barriers can present difficulties in daily life and academic endeavors for students studying abroad like me in a nation with a different primary language. At first, it might be difficult to communicate and comprehend readings, assignments, and lectures. However, language skills often improve over time through immersion and practice.
Independence and self-reliance are frequently fostered by living and studying abroad. Daily chores, money management, and problem-solving were all things I had to handle on my own. Personal development, increased self-assurance, and a better understanding of oneself can result from this experience. Studying abroad allows you to develop a global network of friends, colleagues, and mentors. These connections can be extremely beneficial for developing a global mindset, future career opportunities, and personal growth.
Unique educational opportunities, including access to specialized programmes, world-class faculty, research collaborations, and exposure to various teaching styles, can be found when studying abroad. International students like us may have the chance to investigate novel academic fields or gain understanding from various viewpoints.
Finally, I'd like to say it’s crucial to remember that each person's experience as an international student is different, and different people may encounter various emotions and difficulties. However, studying abroad frequently offers a rich and transformative experience that can profoundly impact one's academic and personal journey.
I hope this is helpful.
Kind regards,
Mrunali Kalbhor,
University of Sunderland Student ambassador
Original post by moreofsupriyaya
how does it feel to study in foreign country as an international student?

Hi,
I'm studying Accounting as an International student currently but I also studied at Uni in my home currently for a year so I can say it truly feels completely different. First of all, I'm studying the same course from back home and the modules are the same but with different names and even the different ways they are taught. The grading system is also not similar, for example; in my home country you take a number of quizzes and assignments with a final exam to make up your grade but here I write just one exam that holds all marks which was quite shocking to me. Also, from studying abroad I've met new people from different parts of the world and learnt a lot about other countries without having to go there not to mention trying out a variety of foods. The weather was different as well having to adjust to seasons that contrast with that of my home country. The student work life is a major difference and having to be miles away from your family. The culture and life is also something I haven't gotten familiar with just yet including having to understand different accents. The differences are endless if I'm to be honest but it's been really interesting and amazing. I've actually felt frustrated at times but happy about my decision and even looking forward to going to other countries to study another degree or work. It might need some adjusting but it's worth it in the end, I can't wait to experience and learn newer things.

Benedicta,
University of Sunderland Student Ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending