The Student Room Group

Official University of Sunderland Medicine applicants 2020 thread

Applying to study Medicine in 2020 here at the University of Sunderland?

To get started, why not fill in the below to introduce yourself to fellow applicants:

Name:

You can also post any questions you have about the process and get an answer from our Medicine Application Team.

Sunderland A100 Offer Holders thread
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm considering applying for their Medicine A100 course but am unsure as to the quality of education/location etc. Would someone be willing to describe what the Uni is like for its Sciences?
Hi,
So I'm considering applying to the University of Sunderland. I have a few questions;
1. How many places are available for the A100 course?
2. Could you explain the selection process? How much weighting do you place on the Roles and Responisiblities Form or UCAT etc.
Reply 3
Original post by neauwindowpane
I'm considering applying for their Medicine A100 course but am unsure as to the quality of education/location etc. Would someone be willing to describe what the Uni is like for its Sciences?

All med schools are monitored by the GNC, so they all offer the education needed to become a doctor, and if they were failing to do this adequately, the GMC would step in.
Sunderland is in the North-East, about 15 miles from Newcastle and 12 miles from Durham. The city itself has little to make it stand out, and is an area of pretty high deprivation, but there is some lovely coastline and countryside around it. If you are uncertain, go and visit it and have a look round; they are very proud of their medical course and I'm sure somebody would be happy to speak to you @UniversityOfSunderland
Have a look here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5923096
Hi there,

Thank you for your interest in studying Medicine at the University of Sunderland, it's only normal that you have a few questions about the course and the city we are based in, both of which i'll try and cover in this post :smile:

I think one of the most important factors for me when choosing a university/course was who I would be taught by.
At Sunderland, you’ll be taught by internationally-acclaimed academics in some of the UK’s most groundbreaking facilities, gaining unique insights into some of the health needs of our population. You’ll study in some of the best-performing Trusts in England and receive the right balance of personal and professional teaching methods.

Not to go too deep into the history but the University of Sunderland has been providing higher education since 1901 including science and areas related to medicine and they continue to be at the forefront of teaching, learning and research!
The Sciences Complex, where you'll be based, offers one of the best student experiences for those studying the sciences, including industry-standard research and teaching laboratories and testing equipment in pharmacy, pharmaceutical, biomedical, environmental and sports sciences. The non-clinical components of the course are based here.

With regards to the city itself, Sunderland has the perfect combination of city and seaside living and is a friendly, diverse and affordable place for you to live and study. By studying in Sunderland, you’ll be based in a fantastic city by the sea one which was shortlisted for City of Culture 2021 in fact.

There are many reason to study Medicine at Sunderland, more of which you can find on our website here but why not come and see for yourself?

We have a number of open days throughout the year which will allow you to experience the course and meet the academics for yourself. There will also be opportunities to explore the campus and surrounding city, as well as check out our accommodation options.
You can find out more about our upcoming events here.

Let me know if there's anything else you wish to know :smile:

Hi there!

There are 100 places for September 2020 entry.
With regards to the selection process, this article on our website should address your questions but do let me know if there's anything else you wish to know :smile:

Hi,
So I'm considering applying to the University of Sunderland. I have a few questions;
1. How many places are available for the A100 course?
2. Could you explain the selection process? How much weighting do you place on the Roles and Responisiblities Form or UCAT etc.
Hello,I am thinking of applying in 2020. Is the course integrated or is it PBL?
Reply 7
Original post by citrusltm
Hello,I am thinking of applying in 2020. Is the course integrated or is it PBL?

https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/medicine/mbchb-medicine/#course-structure
Thank you for sharing @GANFYD

Do let me know if you have any more questions about the course @citrusltm
Is there any advantage to local applicants? And do Sunderland have any widening participation scheme or contextual offers for medicine? @UniversityOfSunderland
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by userxxx12
Is there any advantage to local applicants? And do Sunderland have any widening participation scheme or contextual offers for medicine? @UniversityOfSunderland

Hi there,

The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) is keen to boost medical school applicants from all types of backgrounds as part of their bid to tackle social injustices. Widening participation is a key strategic factor for the University.
Widening participation is a key strategic factor for the University. Sunderland is one of only five new medical schools, established to address the regional imbalance of medical education places across England and to widen access to ensure the profession reflects the communities it serves. With a track-record of excellence in medical education spanning almost 100 years, the University is now well-placed to address the chronic shortage of doctors in the North East. Focusing on GP and Psychiatric training, the new programme will complement existing medical provision in the region and add to the diversity of medical schools in the UK.

We have a relatively small student intake, a city-centre campus by the sea and a supportive community with enthusiastic and committed staff. We have an excellent track record of attracting and supporting students from the least advantaged socio-economic groups. The University will be working closely with the local community to help talented students from disadvantaged backgrounds become doctors, widening access to medicine and ensuring the profession reflects the population it serves.

Further information and advantages to studying with us can be found here

Let me know if you have any further questions :smile:
Reply 11
Hello,

I'm slightly worried about the R&R form. On the website it says one would be sent out on the 15th for a deadline on the 31st, however 2 days later and I've received nothing.

Hope you can help!
Reply 12
Hiya, do you have any information on this? I called them up on Friday to be told that the medicine admissions people were not available and they would call me back. I didn’t receive a call back yet and there’s a lack of activity on TSR regarding the course so I’m puzzled.
Original post by Sh_A
Hello,

I'm slightly worried about the R&R form. On the website it says one would be sent out on the 15th for a deadline on the 31st, however 2 days later and I've received nothing.

Hope you can help!

I received mine this morning
Reply 14
Original post by Ibs007861
I received mine this morning

Hi. Yeah, I also received mine this morning with a sigh of relief. The website may need updating to reflect this next year.
I haven't recieved the RnR form yet, stressed! Anyone else who hasn't recieved it yet?
Also, what is the deadline for filling in the RnR form?
Reply 17
4th November
Original post by Dida Lika
I haven't recieved the RnR form yet, stressed! Anyone else who hasn't recieved it yet?

Hi @Dida Lika if you haven't received the form you can contact our medicine admissions team via email [email protected]
Hope that helps :smile:
Emma
UoS Medicine Team
Original post by Sh_A
Hi. Yeah, I also received mine this morning with a sigh of relief. The website may need updating to reflect this next year.

Hi @Sh_A
On our website we say the form will be sent to all relevant applicants after the deadline of 15 October. It must be returned within 14 days.
If you can let me know where it says the deadline is the 31st, I will get this updated to avoid any confusion in the future.
If you have any other questions please let me know
Emma :smile:
UoS Medicine Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending