The Student Room Group

Just Completed BRTC With the RAF - AMA

Any questions, no matter how big or small are welcome! I'll try my best to answer them😆
(edited 4 years ago)
What was hardest part about it ? What advice/tips would you give to others ?
Have you polished your beret brass since grad?
Original post by CBWJ96321
What was hardest part about it ? What advice/tips would you give to others ?

I think what you find hard will be very personal to you. Some of my friends really struggled with the kit prep, the ironing and polishing and things, I personally really struggled with the exercise Blue Warrior week.
I think the hardest thing about the course was the intensity and frequency of tests, having to learn things very quickly and then be tested on them equally as quickly.
The good thing is that you're surrounded by people going through the same stuff, and generally, everyone struggles with the same things, so you'll never be alone!
Original post by AlphaTango
Have you polished your beret brass since grad?

Not since Day 63 inspection... I am ashamed.
Reply 5
Well done you!!:party:

How did you manage with your hair? :giggle:
Original post by Surnia
Well done you!!:party:

How did you manage with your hair? :giggle:

Haha thank you! It was much less of a big deal than I thought it would be! Im very good at overthinking things but it was fine, still looked a mess but the corporals didn't seem to care😂 I tried my best!
Original post by marveldinosaur
Not since Day 63 inspection... I am ashamed.

Oh dear oh dear! You got a hold before P2?
Original post by AlphaTango
Oh dear oh dear! You got a hold before P2?

Yeah on stand down and then get to take a few days of leave before I need to start! Just want to get on with it though really. Have sorted out most of my kit, just haven't gotten around to the beret brass yet!😂
Reply 9
Any questions, no matter how big or small are welcome! I'll try my best to answer them😆

Thinking about what you heard about the course from the AFCO and on here: 1. What part of the course was as you'd expected and 2. What do you wish you'd known beforehand?
Besides working on fitness what other tips would you say may be helpful to prepare ?
Were you training in mixed groups or were male and female recruits separated ?
How often were you able to contact home and could you use your own phones or were they taken away ?
Original post by Surnia
Thinking about what you heard about the course from the AFCO and on here: 1. What part of the course was as you'd expected and 2. What do you wish you'd known beforehand?

Most of the course was as expected and as told by my AFCO. The only thing I didn't expect is that it was a tad easier than expected! I may have just been lucky with my corporals, but I feel it was way more relaxed than I had thought it was going to be. I wish I had known that when they say it'll be easier to be as fit as possible when entering, they meant it! I struggled so much with the PT and I know it was entirely my fault. I wish I had listened and followed the guidance from my AFCO.
Original post by CBWJ96321
Besides working on fitness what other tips would you say may be helpful to prepare ?
Were you training in mixed groups or were male and female recruits separated ?
How often were you able to contact home and could you use your own phones or were they taken away ?

I reckon learning some of the basic information about the RAF could be helpful, some of the basic history and dates and big ops they have done since their beginnings, the different aircraft, what airpower is and how we use it etc. But it's not necessary, you'll learn it all there!

The only time males and females were seperated was in your accomodation rooms. Everything else is mixed! You're not treated differently because of your sex.

If I had wanted to, I could have rang home every night, minus the exercise week as you aren't allowed phones. You have to leave your phones off and locked away during the day but once you're done for the day the time is yours and you can use your phone however you wish!
Bringing up and old post !What kind of topics did you cover on the BRTC? What was the fitness like? Any long runs?
Original post by benjaminlovatt
Bringing up and old post !What kind of topics did you cover on the BRTC? What was the fitness like? Any long runs?

Topics were generally like basic knowledge about the RAF and operations etc, and fitness was alright, lots of circuits. Our first PT session was the worst, an Aero Run in the local woods up big hills, was an absolute killer!
Reply 15

Who was your favourite roommate? Personally I heard the ginger one from the other flight was pretty cool, she’s quite a legend.
Hi mate well done on graduating👍🏼 For the running what was the usual distance you ran? And how often do you do running and fitness?
Original post by jinks37
Who was your favourite roommate? Personally I heard the ginger one from the other flight was pretty cool, she’s quite a legend.

never heard of her mate
Original post by RedImp98
Hi mate well done on graduating👍🏼 For the running what was the usual distance you ran? And how often do you do running and fitness?

Thank you! And I couldn't tell the distance, I was too engrossed in dying😂😂 the first PT session is an aerorun and is quite hilly so it was hard to gauge how far it was😂 PT you have about 3/4 sessions a week, alot of circuits and aerobic work, not alot of heavy weights. I would definitely make sure your cardio is good before you go to Halton as I think I could've done so much more in that respect!

Quick Reply

Latest