The Student Room Group

Ormskirk and Edge Hill university - uncomfortable "vibes"

Hello,

I have recently been attending open days at various universities across England and Wales, including local ones that are located near where I live. One of these was the open day at Edge Hill university in Ormskirk. Something about the town and the university really struck me as being "off", I mean the town looks pleasant enough and the university campus is new and well-kept but the people seemed weirdly "chavvy" to me. It's difficult to explain but it's one of the only towns and campuses I've been to where I felt more uncomfortable walking around than my own hometown.

Do you understand what I mean? I don't know if I was over-reacting, but here's what I thought about the other open days I've been to - to me, University of Manchester, University of Birmingham and Lancaster were great, University of Leicester, York, Kent and Warwick were pretty good, Aberystwyth, Bangor and Chester were OK, Keele wasn't so good and Edge Hill was just awful to me.

What I'm trying to ask is am I the only one who thinks this way about Ormskirk and Edge Hill? Is it something to do with the people of the local area, would I find a similar vibe in Liverpool and its universities?

Thank you.
Reply 1
I had the opposite experience to you when I looked around! It was so friendly and welcoming and I instantly fell in love with it and I felt really comfortable there.

I didn't get any weird vibes about it, but each person will have a different experience from the next person - so it may be that this just inst the perfect university for you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

I have recently been attending open days at various universities across England and Wales, including local ones that are located near where I live. One of these was the open day at Edge Hill university in Ormskirk. Something about the town and the university really struck me as being "off", I mean the town looks pleasant enough and the university campus is new and well-kept but the people seemed weirdly "chavvy" to me. It's difficult to explain but it's one of the only towns and campuses I've been to where I felt more uncomfortable walking around than my own hometown.

Do you understand what I mean? I don't know if I was over-reacting, but here's what I thought about the other open days I've been to - to me, University of Manchester, University of Birmingham and Lancaster were great, University of Leicester, York, Kent and Warwick were pretty good, Aberystwyth, Bangor and Chester were OK, Keele wasn't so good and Edge Hill was just awful to me.

What I'm trying to ask is am I the only one who thinks this way about Ormskirk and Edge Hill? Is it something to do with the people of the local area, would I find a similar vibe in Liverpool and its universities?

Thank you.

Hi there! I’m sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy looking around Keele! Is there anything in particular that you didn’t enjoy? Or any questions you might have about the university that you need answering?
Reply 3
Original post by Keele Student Ambassador
Hi there! I’m sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy looking around Keele! Is there anything in particular that you didn’t enjoy? Or any questions you might have about the university that you need answering?

Hello, I thought the campus at Keele was quite pleasant but there didn't seem to be as much happening there as in city campuses like Manchester and Birmingham, maybe that's to be expected from a rural campus. Otherwise it seemed OK.
Hello,

Thank you.

Hi, hope you're well!

I'm sorry you didn't have a great experience when you visited. Edge Hill being considered chavvy isn't something I've heard from visitors, but we know that your gut feeling is important in making decisions.

One thing I will say is that our campus is very safe. In the Complete University Guide rankings, we have the lowest crime rates in the North West, and our dedicated Campus Support team are available 24/7.

Alex
Hello, I thought the campus at Keele was quite pleasant but there didn't seem to be as much happening there as in city campuses like Manchester and Birmingham, maybe that's to be expected from a rural campus. Otherwise it seemed OK.

I completely understand where you’re coming from! Thankyou for the feedback!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending