The Student Room Group

Is this a respectable A-Level option?

Maths Economics and Sociology, I would've taken Physics instead of Sociology however I heard it's extremely difficult (the most difficult science in fact) which slightly limits my options in terms of degrees.
Yes. Sociology is a respectable subject which involves a ton of memorisation and very interesting topics. I loved it.
Reply 2
Personally I'd say that sociology isn't as well respected as other humanities like history, geography or English literature, but it's still a good option nonetheless :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by cheerIeader
Yes. Sociology is a respectable subject which involves a ton of memorisation and very interesting topics. I loved it.

I agree that it's a respectable subject but do you think it fits well with my other subjects?
sociology is still useful and nobody has to take 3 "respectable" subjects anyways tbh
Original post by anomalyronn
I agree that it's a respectable subject but do you think it fits well with my other subjects?

100%.. Economics is also a social science so the two are quite fitting and Maths is one of the toughest A-Levels anyway so you'll have that edge.

You have two very tough/respectable A-Levels, so it's best to have Sociology (not to say it isn't tough, but perhaps less tough). It involves a lot of memorisation but that aside I think you're likely to really enjoy it too. It was one of, if not my favourite. Yes, it is arguably easy to get a good grade in it but that comes with a ton of effort too.
Reply 6
Original post by Deggs_14
Personally I'd say that sociology isn't as well respected as other humanities like history, geography or English literature, but it's still a good option nonetheless :smile:

Is there a lot of work load with English Language, also how challenging do you think Chemistry is in comparison to Physics and Biology or just harder subjects in general
Original post by OnAndOff
Maths Economics and Sociology, I would've taken Physics instead of Sociology however I heard it's extremely difficult (the most difficult science in fact) which slightly limits my options in terms of degrees.

I take the exact same A-levels as you and let me tell you that even though it may not be as respected, it come and bite you in the ass if you neglect it and leave the work to the very end. I spent loads of time on maths and economics and ended up going down a grade in sociology. It’s not intellectually challenging but I would say just make a huge effort in memorising the content and you should be good.
It’s entirely up to know what A levels you wish to do based on what you enjoy and what you wish to do in the future.

Don’t let people tell you your choices are not respectable or are wrong.
Original post by Deggs_14
Personally I'd say that sociology isn't as well respected

Sociology is highly valued by top Universities - its a good 'essay based subject' that also shows evidence of analytical and research skills.

Universities have dumped the concept of 'facilitating subjects' - do keep up. https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/may/23/russell-group-scraps-preferred-a-levels-list-after-arts-subjects-hit
Original post by OnAndOff

Any ideas about what you want to do in the future? Its always a good idea to check University entrance requirements for your intended degree subject. There are no 'secrets' - Unis will give clear information about what A level subjects are essential or 'preferred'.

If you enjoy a subject you are far more likely to get a good grade.
If Physics is 'hard' for you, then any degree that relies on it is also likely to be a struggle.
I started 6th form off with those EXACT A-levels (I've changed from Maths to Law since then).
But I 100% agree!
Original post by babatunde_
I take the exact same A-levels as you and let me tell you that even though it may not be as respected, it come and bite you in the ass if you neglect it and leave the work to the very end. I spent loads of time on maths and economics and ended up going down a grade in sociology. It’s not intellectually challenging but I would say just make a huge effort in memorising the content and you should be good.
Reply 12
This was nearly a year ago and let me tell you my subjects are COMPLETELY different.. lol I do Psychology, Philosophy and IT..

Quick Reply

Latest