The Student Room Group

Higher English 2019-2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Catriona23
That’s interesting bc I did that at n5 and did well but I was worried that it wouldn’t work at higher bc of the variety of questions that could come up

Yeah same with me, i think there's a bit of luck in terms of what questions that come up. X I just practiced writing under exam conditions for essay questions i'd struggle with in exams in case any ones came up in the actual exam that I wouldn't have learnt an essay for X
(edited 4 years ago)
Is anyone doing 'A View From The Bridge' as their critical essay? I feel that I don't have enough notes.
Original post by amber100
Yeah no problem! What i did to stop myself running out of time in the exams was to write essays and keep redrafting them until they were at marks i was happy with, and learnt them off by heart for the exams. That way, regardless of the question, i could pick out different paragraphs across essays to make them fit for the question. I can always send you some of my essays that got 19/20? X

Omg that would be amazing! What text did you study? Thank you so much for your advice and help! :smile: X
Original post by kawaii_panda101
Omg that would be amazing! What text did you study? Thank you so much for your advice and help! :smile: X

I studied the Great Gatsby and death of a salesman X
Nice, we’re doing the Norman MacCaig poems for Set Text and Death of A Salesman by Arthur Miller for critical essay. Right now we’re focussing on folio work

Hi, I am doing Norman MacCaig poems too. What do you think of them so far?

Nice. This year I'm studying 'Black Swan' for the critical essay and Norman MacCaig for poetry. We haven't started studying our other text: 'The Hanging'. Sample essays would be a massive help. Thank you so much! X
Original post by kawaii_panda101
Hi, I am doing Norman MacCaig poems too. What do you think of them so far?

They’re okay, I quite like them. The difficult thing for set text is timing
Hi guys, needing some critical essay help please. My question is

Choose a play in which a major character experiences different emotions throughout the play. By referring to appropriate techniques, explain how the dramatist makes you aware of these different emotions and discuss how this contributes to your appreciation of the play as a whole.

How do I refer to the bit in red in my evaluation? at the moment I'm just making vague comments about how at the start many emotions hint at the emotional breakdown to come? (I'm doing Death of a Salesman)

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated
Hi guys, needing some critical essay help please. My question is

Choose a play in which a major character experiences different emotions throughout the play. By referring to appropriate techniques, explain how the dramatist makes you aware of these different emotions and discuss how this contributes to your appreciation of the play as a whole.

How do I refer to the bit in red in my evaluation? at the moment I'm just making vague comments about how at the start many emotions hint at the emotional breakdown to come? (I'm doing Death of a Salesman)

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated

Well I'm not doing Death of a Salesman, I'm doing a different Arthur Miller play. But they want you to put in your own opinion eg, the character of bob having the emotion of sadness helps contributes to my appreciation of the play as it makes him more human as I can relate to him. (You'd need to like make it less basic than this, but they are looking for your opinion, they care a lot more about this than they did in N5, that what helps you get the top marks, instead of just a pass.) Hope this helps sorry for being kinda vague.
Hey, anyone got a round about idea of how many quotes to have stored for essays? I’m doing the cone gatherers and my prelim is next Tuesday.
Original post by Valeriex
Well I'm not doing Death of a Salesman, I'm doing a different Arthur Miller play. But they want you to put in your own opinion eg, the character of bob having the emotion of sadness helps contributes to my appreciation of the play as it makes him more human as I can relate to him. (You'd need to like make it less basic than this, but they are looking for your opinion, they care a lot more about this than they did in N5, that what helps you get the top marks, instead of just a pass.) Hope this helps sorry for being kinda vague.

Yeah thanks for your help, confirms I’ve been doing the right thing haha
Can anyone help me with the great gatsby I’m actually desperate at this point
Original post by Maggie-xx
Can anyone help me with the great gatsby I’m actually desperate at this point

I haven’t studied it but I’ve read it, what do you need help with and I’ll try my best?
Hey have you done any higher English essaysI would just feel more confident having read a few to see what they are expecting etc...thanks so much for replying x

Is there any chance you could mail me your great gatsby essays?x
Is there any chance you could mail me your great gatsby essays?x

I’d recommend also looking at Schmoop, Spark Notes and Cliff Notes, they’ve got a lot of analysis and help on loads of books
I’d recommend also looking at Schmoop, Spark Notes and Cliff Notes, they’ve got a lot of analysis and help on loads of books

Do you have any exemplar essays?
Reply 77
Yeah no problem! What i did to stop myself running out of time in the exams was to write essays and keep redrafting them until they were at marks i was happy with, and learnt them off by heart for the exams. That way, regardless of the question, i could pick out different paragraphs across essays to make them fit for the question. I can always send you some of my essays that got 19/20? X

Hi there, I am in the same position. I was wondering if there would be a possibility that you could maybe forward these to me if that would be okay? Im studing death of a salesman as my critical essay and im very lost on where to start? x
Do you have any exemplar essays?

Not for the great gatsby I’m afraid but I have a few Death of a Salesman?
Not for the great gatsby I’m afraid but I have a few Death of a Salesman?

Would you mind emailing them to me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending