The Student Room Group

Sacked vegan discrimination case

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50969168

Oh wow what a piece of work!!! :angry:

Read the hearing bundle docs and his statement he is like a fizzy bottle darting everywhere.

Slater and Gordon representing him too lol!!! So fingers crossed he is unsuccessful :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

It is certainly an interesting case to test the law.
Plot twist it's the TSR vegan troll
Original post by Rock Fan
Plot twist it's the TSR vegan troll

Way too coherent.
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Way too coherent.

Good point to be fair
Hopefully his case won't succeed. :crossedf:
Other outcomes carry torrid precedent implications for animal rights "speciesism", ecology obsessed climatology and antinatalism.
I don't see why veganism, on ethical/moral grounds, shouldn't be considered a philosophical belief under the law. It already matches the definition of a philosophical belief.

That said, even if it is considered such I don't see how this would help his case. Proving that he was sacked because of his veganism is a separate matter, surely?
Original post by SHallowvale
That said, even if it is considered such I don't see how this would help his case. Proving that he was sacked because of his veganism is a separate matter, surely?

Yeah that was my thought. I'm no lawyer, but surely the company will not be arguing that they sacked him because he is a vegan? They'll be arguing its for his behaviour during this incident... I fail to see why this is such a big case.
Original post by SHallowvale
I don't see why veganism, on ethical/moral grounds, shouldn't be considered a philosophical belief under the law. It already matches the definition of a philosophical belief.

This is a two fold case, if the veganism part can be proven it will then go on to decide whether he was unfairly dismissed on these grounds.
Reply 9
Chicken in a basket case
Reply 10
He worked for the animal welfare charity the League Against Cruel Sports, and says that when he drew his bosses' attention to the pension fund investments, they did nothing so he informed colleagues and was sacked as a result.

Nothing to do with his diet.
Reply 11
This isn't a story, really. We only hear about it because the BBC have embarked on a crusade in favour of veganism and see us all as worthy of being subjected to it. It's not 'in the public interest', only in theirs. Like most of their output these days, really.
Original post by z-hog
This isn't a story, really. We only hear about it because the BBC have embarked on a crusade in favour of veganism and see us all as worthy of being subjected to it. It's not 'in the public interest', only in theirs. Like most of their output these days, really.

OK Boomer.

This is news, actually, since the outcome could have an impact on the rights of vegans in the UK.
Original post by z-hog

This guys's "ethical veganism" goes way beyond diet.
It's a lifestyle philosophy that apparently prevents him from using public transport and requires him to do his best to convert other people to his beliefs.
Original post by z-hog

The issue related to the pension fund investing in a company that is involved somehow with animal testing which he obviously opposes on ethical grounds.

Original post by z-hog

Legally it is quite an important case as it may open the doors for other beliefs to be included under the anti discrimination laws.

It isn't new case that has just popped up out of nowhere, the media has been following it for quite some time.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/jun/16/league-against-cruel-sports-legal-battle-with-whistleblower
Reply 15
It's a dietary choice ffs. Rights?

Claiming unfair dismissal should be based on disciplinary procedures not being followed if there was a performance issue. Not on whether they eschewed a Bargain Bucket
I read about this the other day. The guy seems to be a tad nuts.

This seems to be the crucial line in his dismissal letter.

His dismissal letter told him that his actions were ‘biased because of your ethical principles and could influence them [other employees] to change their pension arrangement’.

source : The Metro
Vegans just want to cause trouble, every single time smh.
Reply 18
Right, my interest in all matters Vegan is limited and after a deeper look at all this, this what the man says himself at the top of his crowdfunding page today. On the 'discrimination' issue...

My pre-hearing to determine if ethical veganism is a protected "non-religious philosophical belief" (as already is environmentalism, pacifism or teetotalism) began today at Norwich Employment Tribunal, in Norfolk.

I have no idea what the treatment dished out to environmentalists, pacifists or dry whistle-blowers is, in what way it may differ from this guy's getting the sack. There's mention of a previous case without the outcome, the BBC and the Guardian will keep us posted. Can't remember it in the Mail.
I wondered when our vegan troll would get triggered

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending