The Student Room Group

Help for a level english lit

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me out.

I have been in hospital for the last year and a half so I missed out a LOT of school, I wasn't in at all and did no catching up as my teachers thought there was no point at this time of the year, so I did take my exams last summer and did pretty decent, (6 marks off an A for English lit!) I still passed philosophy and politics, a few marks each off grades Cs.

I decided to retake this year, of at school due to my circumstances.
So currently I am taking English lit and philosophy at school, I dropped politics because its so boring and I hated the teacher that taught it.

Outside of school I now take maths privately myself. I am trying to fit the two years into one and I am currently struggling.

I have only completed 6 topics out of the 45 and I already know I am going wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too slow.
I have found a tuition teacher who is very good and will help me along the way, however there is only so much we can get through with 4 hours a week.

I believe this is also affecting my other subjects because I am falling behind on those too.

Is it still possible to complete maths in time for the 3 exams in June? If so can anybody give me some guidance?

I am very stressed out for all my subjects because I am behind for each one.

For philosophy I study the AQA spec, and i still need to go over year one as I have no notes at all. Year two is starting to also become one as well.

For English I still haven't read the two books we are studying: The Kite Runner and The Handmaids Tale. And we are now starting William Blake. I also have no previous knowledge of these books apart from contextual information which I had independently read!!!

I still also need to go over Death of a Salesman, Othello and Keats selected poetry.

And my maths situation isnt helpful at all when i still have another 39 topics to go over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone give me some help or advice, even notes???? It would be fully appreciated!!
Or if anyone has been in a similar situation as me or something???

And before you ask i do need maths for university, thats why I am doing it, to achieve my offer, I need the a grade B the lowest.

I am extremely stressed out, however I know the next months will consist of this, but I REALLY NEED some help because my school is useless, they didn't even care about me when I was in hospital the majority of the time, so they dont even bother now. My attendance at school is appalling because I barely turn out since we do nothing. In English we sit around while my teacher goes into the hallway to do a uniform check on the younger years!! She sets us to read the book but never goes over any of the themes or many quotes!! I would really appreciate some motivation or some experience and help!!!!!!

Thank you so much and I look forward to hearing back from you.
Original post by patelb99
Hi, I am hoping someone can help me out.

I have been in hospital for the last year and a half so I missed out a LOT of school, I wasn't in at all and did no catching up as my teachers thought there was no point at this time of the year, so I did take my exams last summer and did pretty decent, (6 marks off an A for English lit!) I still passed philosophy and politics, a few marks each off grades Cs.

I decided to retake this year, of at school due to my circumstances.
So currently I am taking English lit and philosophy at school, I dropped politics because its so boring and I hated the teacher that taught it.

Outside of school I now take maths privately myself. I am trying to fit the two years into one and I am currently struggling.

I have only completed 6 topics out of the 45 and I already know I am going wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too slow.
I have found a tuition teacher who is very good and will help me along the way, however there is only so much we can get through with 4 hours a week.

I believe this is also affecting my other subjects because I am falling behind on those too.

Is it still possible to complete maths in time for the 3 exams in June? If so can anybody give me some guidance?

I am very stressed out for all my subjects because I am behind for each one.

For philosophy I study the AQA spec, and i still need to go over year one as I have no notes at all. Year two is starting to also become one as well.

For English I still haven't read the two books we are studying: The Kite Runner and The Handmaids Tale. And we are now starting William Blake. I also have no previous knowledge of these books apart from contextual information which I had independently read!!!

I still also need to go over Death of a Salesman, Othello and Keats selected poetry.

And my maths situation isnt helpful at all when i still have another 39 topics to go over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone give me some help or advice, even notes???? It would be fully appreciated!!
Or if anyone has been in a similar situation as me or something???

And before you ask i do need maths for university, thats why I am doing it, to achieve my offer, I need the a grade B the lowest.

I am extremely stressed out, however I know the next months will consist of this, but I REALLY NEED some help because my school is useless, they didn't even care about me when I was in hospital the majority of the time, so they dont even bother now. My attendance at school is appalling because I barely turn out since we do nothing. In English we sit around while my teacher goes into the hallway to do a uniform check on the younger years!! She sets us to read the book but never goes over any of the themes or many quotes!! I would really appreciate some motivation or some experience and help!!!!!!

Thank you so much and I look forward to hearing back from you.

I honestly believe you could get away with not reading The Kite Runner because nothing significant happens in most of the chapters just make notes using the chapter summaries on Sparknotes and pick out the most important chapters to analyse (I recommend Chapter 7, and the last few chapters of the book). The main themes are oppression, power, control, war/invasion, the class system and, depending on how you interpret the text, gender imbalances. A lot of the essay questions seem to be centred around oppression and power, so I think the most important thing is that you understand the imbalances in Afghanistan between Hazaras and Pashtuns; this is especially important if you get a question where you could write about Amir and Hassan’s relationship.

One of the things that really helped my revision was reading through the Assessment Objectives and making sure I had points for each one that I could include in my essays. After all, you could know absolutely everything about your texts, but it’s the exam technique that gains extra marks.
Reply 2
Original post by Y.A05
I honestly believe you could get away with not reading The Kite Runner because nothing significant happens in most of the chapters just make notes using the chapter summaries on Sparknotes and pick out the most important chapters to analyse (I recommend Chapter 7, and the last few chapters of the book). The main themes are oppression, power, control, war/invasion, the class system and, depending on how you interpret the text, gender imbalances. A lot of the essay questions seem to be centred around oppression and power, so I think the most important thing is that you understand the imbalances in Afghanistan between Hazaras and Pashtuns; this is especially important if you get a question where you could write about Amir and Hassan’s relationship.

One of the things that really helped my revision was reading through the Assessment Objectives and making sure I had points for each one that I could include in my essays. After all, you could know absolutely everything about your texts, but it’s the exam technique that gains extra marks.

Hi, thank you for replying.
I really need help with A02, for some reason I just can’t do it!!! Any evidence or help or revision resources ??

Thanks so much
The context for William Blake
William Blake was a poet in Victorian/Georgian England who wrote a selection of poems in his anthologies, "songs of innocence" and "songs of experience". The experience poems were more cynical and bitter whereas the innocence poems were often naive and simple.
William Blake was a seminal figure of the Romantic age(an artistic, literary and musical movement that encouraged freedom of expression, love and respect). Blake's major works are reflective of his anger regarding oppressive institutions like the church and monarchy, or any and all cultural traditions-sexist, racist, or classist-which stifled imagination or passion.

Is that alright bro?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending