The Student Room Group

Too much work?

Our teachers tell us that for every hour of lessons we have we are expected to be doing an hour at home as well, this means that after a full day of lesson I would be doing up to 7 hours of work depending on the day I have because I might have had frees, I’m in year 12 so just started the courses.

Just as an example here’s my typical Tuesday for you:

First period in the morning I have pshce (that’s what we call it) then I have 7 whole periods of lessons, in the afternoon I have two double periods in the same room, in the same seat with the same teacher I finish school at 5. Then have to go home and I start work at 6 go to 7, then continue work at 7:30 after dinner and I finish work at midnight, I then get up for school at 6:30

This is the worst day I have, I’m burnt out all the time and never have more than 7 hours of sleep, haven’t had more than that since starting yr 12. Is this too much work?

Scroll to see replies

Moved to 'A-Levels', hopefully we can get you some more answers here. :yep:

I would say it's a bit excessive too (but I'm another biased Year 12 student :tongue:). Going to bed at midnight isn't ideal either, and school should be endorsing healthy sleeping patterns. :confused:

I would say prioritise your weaker subjects, and go over subject material that you find difficult/need to revise. If you feel you are understanding as you are going along, then your revision should be pretty good. :yep:
Reply 2
I’m in year 13 and This really seems like a lot of work. I’ll admit I have previously fallen behind myself from not doing enough over the past year and a half (as well as other health issues and stuff) however I get home at about 5 and honestly I would say I never do more than 2 1/2 hours of work in an evening on an average week (with no exams) and most days even less. I’m always in bed for 10pm and wake up at 7am. I am still on track to achieving around AAA or A*AA though hopefully. Doing the amount of work you are really seems unsustainable as you will be burnt out and when you come to needing to revise for exams you will likely lack the motivation. I think it’s down to making sure your time is spent productively rather than saying I had 7 hours of lessons I must do 7 hours of extra work for example. If you want any more advice on the sort of time I spend on work then lemme know I’m happy to try and give a rough outline of what work I do on an average week (although idk how good of an example I am?)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by RazzzBerries

I would say it's a bit excessive too (but I'm another biased Year 12 student :tongue:). Going to bed at midnight isn't ideal either, and school should be endorsing healthy sleeping patterns. :confused:

I would say prioritise your weaker subjects, and go over subject material that you find difficult/need to revise. If you feel you are understanding as you are going along, then your revision should be pretty good. :yep:

I’m pretty strong in my subjects, I do politics history and RE
Reply 4
Original post by Elmo127
I’m in year 13 and This really seems like a lot of work. I’ll admit I have previously fallen behind myself from not doing enough over the past year and a half (as well as other health issues and stuff) however I get home at about 5 and honestly I would say I never do more than 2 1/2 hours of work in an evening on an average week (with no exams) and most days even less. I’m always in bed for 10pm and wake up at 7am. I am still on track to achieving around AAA or A*AA though hopefully. Doing the amount of work you are really seems unsustainable as you will be burnt out and when you come to needing to revise for exams you will likely lack the motivation. I think it’s down to making sure your time is spent productively rather than saying I had 7 hours of lessons I must do 7 hours of extra work for example. If you want any more advice on the sort of time I spend on work then lemme know I’m happy to try and give a rough outline of what work I do on an average week (although idk how good of an example I am?)

I talked to one of my teachers at school and they said that it is a lot but if you want to get the best grades then it has to be done
Reply 5
Original post by RazzzBerries

I’ve just had exams, I was being predicted to get all b’s in these recent exams
Reply 6
Original post by Greywolftwo
Our teachers tell us that for every hour of lessons we have we are expected to be doing an hour at home as well, this means that after a full day of lesson I would be doing up to 7 hours of work depending on the day I have because I might have had frees, I’m in year 12 so just started the courses.

First period in the morning I have pshce (that’s what we call it) then I have 7 whole periods of lessons, in the afternoon I have two double periods in the same room, in the same seat with the same teacher I finish school at 5. Then have to go home and I start work at 6 go to 7, then continue work at 7:30 after dinner and I finish work at midnight, I then get up for school at 6:30

This is the worst day I have, I’m burnt out all the time and never have more than 7 hours of sleep, haven’t had more than that since starting yr 12. Is this too much work?

You don’t have to do all of the “hour of study” work on one day. There are days where I have five lessons and in the evening I only finish the homework of maybe two lessons, let alone any extra work revision I want to do, but I know I have free periods the next day. You’re timetable will be like that with busy days and more empty days, so adjust the work you do accordingly. Please don’t go to bed at midnight and wake up a six thirty, I don’t even know how you can survive like that you must be chronically fatigued.
Reply 7
Original post by Deggs_14
You don’t have to do all of the “hour of study” work on one day. There are days where I have five lessons and in the evening I only finish the homework of maybe two lessons, let alone any extra work revision I want to do, but I know I have free periods the next day. You’re timetable will be like that with busy days and more empty days, so adjust the work you do accordingly. Please don’t go to bed at midnight and wake up a six thirty, I don’t even know how you can survive like that you must be chronically fatigued.

I also train for rowing 8 times a week and go to the gym 3 times a week
Reply 8

My parents are an issue as well, they always guilt trip me into doing more work, I tell them that I’m doing way more work than everyone else and they say ‘it doesn’t matter what others are doing, if they are doing 4 hours a day you should be doing 8 or more. I had exam week last week, on Tuesday I had a day with no exams so I was at home revising, I did 9 and a half hours of revision and then went to the gym for 2
Reply 9
I also train for rowing 8 times a week and go to the gym 3 times a week

Wow how do you manage that? I quit rowing in year 11 because I found GCSE revision too stressful. No wonder you’re exhausted.
Reply 10
My parents are an issue as well, they always guilt trip me into doing more work, I tell them that I’m doing way more work than everyone else and they say ‘it doesn’t matter what others are doing, if they are doing 4 hours a day you should be doing 8 or more. I had exam week last week, on Tuesday I had a day with no exams so I was at home revising, I did 9 and a half hours of revision and then went to the gym for 2

My parents used to be like that but now they say I revise too much even when I know I don’t do enough :frown:
I talked to one of my teachers at school and they said that it is a lot but if you want to get the best grades then it has to be done

Honestly I don’t completely agree with that. To get good grades you do need to put in the work however consistently spending this much time doesn’t seem the best solution as you will be too tired to function properly. As someone said below it’s just about working out when your busy days and more empty days are and trying to work around that. Hours of work are not a good measurement of productivity you could easily sit doing 6 hours of work for example but if you were properly focussed and got enough sleep you would probably be able to be just as productive in a shorter amount of time.
Reply 12
Original post by Elmo127
Honestly I don’t completely agree with that. To get good grades you do need to put in the work however consistently spending this much time doesn’t seem the best solution as you will be too tired to function properly. As someone said below it’s just about working out when your busy days and more empty days are and trying to work around that. Hours of work are not a good measurement of productivity you could easily sit doing 6 hours of work for example but if you were properly focussed and got enough sleep you would probably be able to be just as productive in a shorter amount of time.

Exactly true. Measuring productively by hours of work isn’t good, you could spend two hours reading the textbook or make a flashcard in five minutes with the same information. My advice would be have a think about your life as a weekly timetable. Fill it in with lessons, and then the rowing and gym you do. Then have a look at what times are when you’d be doing school work or homework etc, whether that’s a morning of free periods, a Saturday evening etc. Then you can look for rest times where you do other things you enjoy doing to relax.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
I usually structure my day as Morning (9-12) early afternoon (12-3), late afternoon (3-6) and evening (6-9). On the weekend I try and work two of these.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Exactly true. Measuring productively by hours of work isn’t good, you could spend two hours reading the textbook or make a flashcard in five minutes with the same information.

Why would teachers say to do this amount of work then as ‘bog standard?’
Reply 15
I usually structure my day as Morning (9-12) early afternoon (12-3), late afternoon (3-6) and evening (6-9). On the weekend I try and work two of these.

With the amount of work I do I have the weekends off completely

This includes time at the weekend. It’s recommended for top grades and actually they usually recommend for every 1 hour of class you do 2 hours at home so I think your teacher is being generous

However I believe that if you work smart you can do that in an hour simply put
As a general observation I feel they say this so it will make you get seats in chairs and desks and work.
So they make you work. If you want the A* you have to sacrifice things for it and sadly that means hobbies have to be halved
I went from badminton every evening to 3 times a week and I had more free time to study

Generally if you work efficiently you can succeed without all those hours you have to be smart about it though.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Dora amos
This includes time at the weekend. It’s recommended for top grades and actually they usually recommend for every 1 hour of class you do 2 hours at home so I think your teacher is being generous

???

Do you do this much work then?
Reply 18

So at that level on a Tuesday I’d be working until 2 in the morning?
Reply 19

That doesn’t seem reasonable at all

Quick Reply

Latest