The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official Cambridge 2020 Postgraduate Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone! Congrats to those who have gotten their offers already! Salut to those in painful waiting for the official decision. I myself applied for PhD in Sociology, still waiting for the results. Happy to see that a few fellow sociologists in the thread have already gotten their decisions. It means I'll have mine soon, too =).
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Grad174829
Can anyone explain what the Cambridge Trust is and how it works? It had us write a separate essay in the application, but under Cambridge’s funding statistics it shows that 0% of masters students get Cambridge Trust funding.
See pie chart at this link.

https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.2020.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/pfc_2020_timeline_v1a_0.pdf

Why did they have us write an essay for it then?

To be honest I find that part of that chart very confusing as I know several people who do have Cambridge Trust masters funding. The only thing I can think of is that the number is so low for masters students (maybe ~1-5%, which I wouldn't doubt) that they included it under other funding. Or it's just a mistake on the graph.

The Cambridge Trust is one of the major funding distributors for Cambridge, and pretty much the only way through which international students can get funding other than through Gates. They give out around 500 awards annually. If you are one of the lucky ones that your Faculty nominates for funding, then your information will be forwarded to the Trust and you will be considered for awards. At this point they will consider your essay. Being nominated for funding does not ensure it.
ahh i got my mphil offer a year ago today- good luck to other English dept. mphil'ers, I imagine it'll be a similar timeline

it would be nice if the PhD application outcome was today too 😬
Original post by nc1996
congratulations! Which group did you apply to?

Optoelectronics. Hope you'll hear good news soon
Original post by TwoLimes
ahh i got my mphil offer a year ago today- good luck to other English dept. mphil'ers, I imagine it'll be a similar timeline

So you got your offer on January 30th ? Xx
Original post by Opo221
So you got your offer on January 30th ? Xx

I believe so!

English PhD applicants: I've been told by the dept that they are looking at a slower timeline this year and not to expect anything for a few weeks.
Original post by zynella
Yes, it does. Congratulations!
I applied to the Health Systems team in late September. I had an admission last year but no funding. So, I am basically reapplying. I will keep my fingers crossed then.

Thank you! It's daunting, as I'm going right into a PhD from undergrad, but I am over the moon - and it means I avoid the utter terror of MPhil exams. I do a lot better with extended reports and presentations, which is how the first year will be assessed - so it's definitely the better option, although I'll have a lot of work to do before I go!

Have you applied for funding from Cambridge, or from an external body?
Original post by SixteenHundred
English PhD applicants: I've been told by the dept that they are looking at a slower timeline this year and not to expect anything for a few weeks.

I appreciate you sharing the info, don’t so much appreciate waiting five months for results. Haha
Original post by fleugame
You're on the next stage! The degree committee will review your application and make a recommendation to the Graduate Admissions Office, who will make the authoritative decision. It's very possible, although unlikely, that both the department and degree could recommend you and the GAO would deny it. Here's what the website says: "If the department decides to recommend you for admission, the Degree Committee must approve the department's decision, and they will make a recommendation to the Graduate Admissions Office. It may take approximately ten days from departmental approval for your application to be considered by the Degree Committee."

Check this website for more: https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/application-process/what-happens-next

Celebrate the small victories! Congrats!

Thanks!
Original post by jillybean06
I appreciate you sharing the info, don’t so much appreciate waiting five months for results. Haha

I waited six months last year (beginning of January to end of June) for London to confirm (as it happens, reject me for) funding, so it's not unusual at doctoral level, but it is a pain.
Original post by Been.Esmar
I don't really understand what's the point of the degree committee, from what I understand, the program manager which interviewed me determined that I was good enough to get an offer, and so decided, on behalf of the department, that they would like to offer me a place. So why do they need further approvals from other people? Isn't the decision, of whether I am suitable for the course or not, made by the department? What further review is needed by the degree committee?
Please explain.

I've explained, multiple times, look back a few pages, I'm sure I've been through it in some detail in the last week or so.
Hi may i know.. If i dont have the IELTS and fund yet, does that affect my application? Because mine still stuck at 'submitted" status since end of december 2019.

https://tenor.com/6LUL.gif
Original post by Paedsphysio
Hi may i know.. If i dont have the IELTS and fund yet, does that affect my application? Because mine still stuck at 'submitted" status since end of december 2019.

Probably not but maybe it differs from program to program perhaps? I got my conditional offer (phd) this week, without either IELTS or funding. best luck for you! (fingers crossed)
I believe so!

Ok,cheers !

Thanks so much for letting us know!

I feel that. To the very depths of my soul.
PhD applicant. Archaeology Dept. Still at 'Submitted' status. Submitted on 6th Jan. Bad sign it hasn't progressed?
(edited 4 years ago)
PhD Theoretical and Applied Linguistics applicants: have you heard anything back? Mine is still stuck at Department review. :frown:
I have seen a couple of people on this thread say that their application is currently under review by the graduate admissions office. What does that mean?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending