The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official Cambridge 2020 Postgraduate Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

English (MPhil and PhD) applicants, do you think it might be worth setting up a separate thread to discuss postgrad English applications in general? As there do seem to be a lot of us in this thread alone...
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Annja
Oh thanks for the info.
I didn't get any interview invitation too!
So I guess today or Monday should be the last chances of getting the invitation email :confused:
Best wishes

Sure, thing! Please update us if you get any change of status in the future.
Original post by SixteenHundred
English (MPhil and PhD) applicants, do you think it might be worth setting up a separate thread to discuss postgrad English applications in general? As there do seem to be a lot of us in this thread alone...

I'd be down for that.
Original post by paul87c
Moved to GAO yesterday (POLIS PhD); after being initially chuffed, I'm cautious until I get a formal offer. Congrats to everyone else too!

Congratulations! When did you apply and did you have an interview at all?
Original post by mss_p
Hey guys,
Just wanted to share that the POLIS department still seems to be dishing out decisions for the MPhil courses, I haven’t gotten an official email yet, but my status changed to unsuccessful as of this morning. Good luck to everyone still anxiously waiting, maybe I’ll see some of you at Durham next fall (in case anyone has the school as another option as well)!

I was also rejected from the POLIS MPhil today!

I graduated from a law and politics degree this year and am currently doing internships as part of a year out, with the option to go back and continue postgrad law studies in my undergrad university in September. So I may try and reapply next year. Grateful to have had the experience of going through the application process this year though! I wouldn’t have known how labour intensive it was otherwise 😱

Hope you really enjoy Durham! A family member did her PhD there and it’s a really excellent university 😊
Original post by zanayaka
Congratulations! May I know which one? I am surprised that it takes a while!

Thank you! It's Christ's College. I was surprised too--while I knew that membership was for life the wait was starting to get to me!
Original post by paul87c
Moved to GAO yesterday (POLIS PhD); after being initially chuffed, I'm cautious until I get a formal offer. Congrats to everyone else too!

Congratulations! Did you have an interview and when did you submit your application?
Has anyone heard about Law Phds? I'm still under review by department :frown:
Original post by jaggyjag
Has anyone heard about Law Phds? I'm still under review by department :frown:

I’m still under review as well. I’m thinking about e-mailing the faculty next week to enquire when can we expect to hear back from them.
Sorry, another call about a specific course: just wondering whether anyone has been accepted or rejected for MPhil Political Thought & Intellectual History [PTIH]. Am aware that applications for this course may take longer to assess than others, as they have to go through a maximum of 3 departments (POLIS, Classics, History) before decisions are made.

This wait is torture!

Hallelujah :wink: yes, please Xx
This could be helpful to some - not so much for personal applications, but for the stats in general from previous years: https://www.admissionreport.com/
Hi, I just got a Skype interview invitation for an MPhil program. I wonder if the Skype interview will be a video or audio call? Thanks!
Original post by JayShree75
Congrats to all those who got to GAO! I was wondering whether early or quick acceptances mean anything in terms of funding?

Why is moving to GAO a big deal?
Original post by Opo221
Hallelujah :wink: yes, please Xx

Original post by jillybean06
I'd be down for that.

@TwoLimes @Kaylee Frye @Mariana47 @alpha pigeon @artisadoom Sorry if I missed anyone! There's a general English applicant thread for MA, MPhil and PhDs up and running over here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6335924

Please do pop over and say hi, and maybe we'll stop clogging up this one quite so much while the degree committee mulls it over!
Original post by Been.Esmar
Why is moving to GAO a big deal?

I think because it means you've been approved by both the department and the degree committee. It's the final step before an offer. Not sure how much of a guarantee of an offer it is, but I think it's a good sign.
@TwoLimes @Kaylee Frye @Mariana47 @alpha pigeon @artisadoom Sorry if I missed anyone! There's a general English applicant thread for MA, MPhil and PhDs up and running over here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6335924

Please do pop over and say hi, and maybe we'll stop clogging up this one quite so much while the degree committee mulls it over!

Great idea - thanks so much for setting it up!
Reply 1777
Has anyone been made an offer for a Sociology MPhil?
Original post by acegikmoqsuwy
Got rejected for PhD Astronomy yesterday pre-interview... I'm not too disappointed about it tbh but thought I'd at least stand a chance for getting an interview (I'm doing a Master's at Cambridge now), maybe it's because my research area is too popular (the email they sent stated that some areas have 10 applications per project/supervisor). Good news is that I'm still in contention for PhD Physics (interview coming up end of this week).

Hi, I sincerely doubt that the department had 10 serious applicants per project/supervisor - this sounds like it could be partial information at best.

It's certainly a good sign that you're in standing for an interview for the second - best of luck with everything!
(edited 4 years ago)
Not yet. My application status got to move to GAO two days ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending