The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oxford Mum
I don’t agree with class labels. Everyone should have a chance to make something of their lives and not be associated with what their fathers did before they were born

Social mobility/meritocracy is a myth. of course, i can only say my class right now based on my father's occupation because i have no job right now.
I guess my parents are chavs :s-smilie:
Original post by Obolinda
I guess my parents are chavs :s-smilie:

Its nothing to be ashamed of being working class, the "chav" label in this context is just of the working class who are individualist rather than collective.
I am only a grocers daughter but I got into Manchester uni and my sons got into Oxford. Social mobility is not a myth if you want success badly enough
Original post by ZdYnm8vuNR
I prefer your way, but I think the salaries should be changed a bit, imo.

Upper working class - Sub 30k
Lower Middle Class - Sub 50k
Upper middle class - 50k+
Upper class - 150k+

I don't really think that being a homeowner is an upper-class thing, nor having a net worth exceeding 1m.

Doesn't upper class equal the aristocracy/landed gentry?

According to this I am upper working class.
Original post by Oxford Mum
Doesn't upper class equal the aristocracy/landed gentry?

According to this I am upper working class.

What class do you think you're in?
I don’t believe in classes. I was born working class and became middle class. I think of myself as Heinz 57 variety. I judge people on whether they mean well.
Original post by Ferrograd
Social mobility/meritocracy is a myth. of course, i can only say my class right now based on my father's occupation because i have no job right now.

Absolute rubbish of course there is social mobility.
Reply 28
Speaking from my own experience, not statistics... it's complicated and the idea of a tiered class system is an oversimplification.

Wrapped up in "class" are a whole complex of factors including:
* Looks, language(s), accent, height, gender
* Education level
* Net worth
* Neighborhood
* Family and friend circle
* Government (central vs. local) vs. private (multinational vs. corporate vs. small business)
* Job title and role and seniority

These interact in all kinds of ways.

E.g. imagine someone who has high class looks, a posh accent, tall, uneducated, friends in high places (rich or powerful), live in a very small house but in a nice neighbourhood, not much money and low net worth but moderate spending habits, eligible for benefits and small gigs to earn extra money.

Is this all determined at birth or up to free will? For such a person, some factors could be considered pure luck (rich/powerful friends, tall), some are partly choice / work ethic (accent, neighbourhood) and some are almost totally choice / work ethic (moderate spending, small gigs). The person's "class" as a whole is best described a combination of who they were born to be and who they chose to be.

How does this person's "class" compare to mine? In some ways they're higher than me (accent, looks, friends), in other ways kinda similar (modest spending), one or two ways maybe lesser (net worth, income).

Can you convert some kinds of "capital" for others? Not easily. I can't just purchase an accent or certain friends (especially friendship that includes things like trust, a shared cultural identity, a common background, common interests, etc). Maybe they can ask their friends for money but probably not to an unlimited degree. Personally I don't have enough money for it to be worthwhile paying for a university education; someone better educated than me might have a more stable career, so perhaps savings aren't so important for them.

A very tiny number of people do have most of the wealth, and if one had to choose, it seems like money would be the best thing to have. But money doesn't buy literally anything you want and unexpected costs or financial setbacks can affect anyone.

Most people prefer to maintain ties to their family. That opens up the question of "rich families" - who actually owns and controls the wealth? Would that person keep it all if there was a divorce? When do the kids get the inheritance payment and how much (and how many kids is it divided between)?

There are definitely more and less powerful people, no question. There is definitely a ruling elite. But these categorisations only seem to apply at the aggregate level. On an individual-to-individual basis it gets much more complicated, especially if you travel and meet a variety of people.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Rakas21
Personally I see four classes..

Underclass - Long term unemployed

Lower working class - Part time workers, renters

Upper working class - Full time employed, sub 20k, renters

Lower middle class - Full time employed, sub 30k, home owner

Upper middle class - Self or full time employed, 30k+, home owner

Upper class - Privately educated, home owner, net worth exceeding 1m

Realise this was over a year ago but someone else bumped the thread.

Your definitions cover working age people but not those retired.

Latest

Trending

Trending