The Student Room Group

Looking to buy a first car.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dooxed
Hello everyone,

I would like to ask your opinion on buying a first car for a max budget £2,000 and nothing bigger than 1.4l.

I was already looking at few cars like Ibiza or Punto. Although a car that really catches my attention is a mini hatchback one in either blue or black.

I'd accept any suggestions of something that will be z really good as a first runner to part-time work and university.

A looked-after modern car will typically be very reliable, but do research common issues for each model. However, it is imperative that you buy well - be very careful to buy one with a service history, and no excuses. Spend money on a professional inspection.

Your biggest issue is going to be insurance. Your purchase budget will be different for different cars. Please budget for a non-black box policy.

Finally, buy a car only when you really need one - they're a constant money drain.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by RogerOxon
A looked-after modern car will typically be very reliable, but do research common issues for each model. However, it is imperative that you buy well - be very careful to buy one with a service history, and no excuses. Spend money on a professional inspection.

Your biggest issue is going to be insurance. Your purchase budget will be different for different cars. Please budget for a non-black box policy.

Finally, buy a car only when you really need one - they're a constant money drain.

I'd need a car because distance from my house to university is quiet large and taking social transport would take too long (would have to wake up at 5:30am roughly to be there for 8:30)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending