The Student Room Group

How do I know if a car dealer is trustworthy and relibale?

I am looking to buy my first car and I found a few dealers with good cars, but how do I know that they are trust worthy and that I can buy from them without any issues that might arise in the future? Thanks
Original post by Amin7
I am looking to buy my first car and I found a few dealers with good cars, but how do I know that they are trust worthy and that I can buy from them without any issues that might arise in the future? Thanks

You can't know. You can increase your chances by reading reviews on-line, or by relying on word-of-mouth recommendation - but that's about it.

It's often said that in general franchised dealers are more trustworthy than independent dealers (which is why you pay more), but there are some dubious franchised dealers out there, and some excellent independent dealers - so that doesn't guarantee anything either.

Also, read the terms and conditions (they'll likely be on their web site). Yes, I know most people don't read them, buy they're important if you're spending a lot of money - which is likely with a car. What does the document say you can do if there's an issue? What is the time limit for returning a car for a refund if it turns out to be a lemon? What warranty do they provide? Etc.
Reply 2
the best way is to ask your friends/family who have used the dealer themselves.

:auto:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending